Officials say four people were injured after an explosion in a gas grill inside a concession building at a baseball stadium in Fayetteville.
Fayetteville SwampDogs manager Darrell Handelsman was listed in serious condition Thursday at UNC Hospitals.
Authorities said employees were unaware that gas was leaking from a propane line inside J.P. Riddle Stadium. When they tried to light the commercial-size grill, the gas fumes ignited.
The staff had been preparing for the team's home opener and the SwampDogs planned to hold workouts Sunday and Monday. It's unclear how the accident may affect the schedule. Damage to the stadium was said to be minimal.
The SwampDogs are a member of the Coastal Plain League, a summer collegiate league. Officials with the franchise couldn't be reached Thursday.
Copyright 2016 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.