WITN  | Greenville, NC  | News, Weather, Sports

Fire Officials: Extension Cords Start Fire; Firefighter Hospitalized

Fire investigators said the cause of a fire that destroyed a home comes down to bad extension cords.

Captain Kenny Warren told WITN a call came in at 6:45AM on Tuesday at 511 West Church St. in Williamston. When firefighters arrived, flames were coming out of the windows of the brick home. Crew worked for an hour to extinguish the flames. The home was destroyed.

While no one sustained any serious injuries, one firefighter was taken to the hospital to be treated for over-heating. He is expected to recover.

Warren said the cause of the fire was bad extension cord that became overheated.

The family of three escaped the fire without injury.



Previous Story
Martin County dispatchers said crews were on the scene of a structure fire around 6:45 a.m. Tuesday. They were still there at 8:15 a.m., though dispatchers could not say if the fire was still active.

Dispatchers said the reported fire was at 511 West Church St. in Williamston, which is a brick home.

We will keep you posted as we gather details on this breaking news.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 162699526