NEW INFO: Pets Survive Fire After Several Oxygen Tanks Explode In Newport Fire

Sixteen oxygen tanks exploded during an early morning fire that destroyed a mobile home Tuesday, according to fire officials.

Wildwood Volunteer Fire Department Chief Art Buchanan says their preliminary investigation points to oxygen tanks in the home where someone was smoking cigarettes.

Chief Buchanan says the fire at 220 East South Winds Dr. near Newport appears to be unintentional. The mobile home was totally destroyed. The investigation is ongoing.

The fire was reported around 1:25 a.m.

Assistant Fire Chief Bill Kratky said two people escaped the fire overnight. Chief Buchanan said two dogs survived the fire. Two cats are missing, but they believe they got out.

Newport, Morehead City and Broad and Gales Creek provided mutual aid to Wildwood Volunteer Fire Department.



Previous Story

We're working to get more information about a fire that destroyed a mobile home early Tuesday morning.

The fire was reported around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday at 220 East South Winds Dr. near Newport in Carteret County.

Wildwood Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Bill Kratky says the single wide trailer is "totally gone." He believes two people lived in the home, but they were able to get out safely.

The Carteret County fire marshal is now investigating what started the destructive fire.

Newport, Morehead City and Broad and Gales Creek provided mutual aid to Wildwood Volunteer Fire Department.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 229653981 - witn.com/a?a=229653981
Gray Television, Inc.