Four fire departments and EMS responded to Perkins Rd. in Washington very early Tuesday. Emergency Management Director John Pack says a wood burning stove caused the fire.
The call for the fire went out at 76 Perkins Rd. at 12:15 a.m. Tuesday. Clarks Neck, Old Ford, Bunyan and Washington Fire crews responded, along with Washington EMS.
Pack says the homeowner said he had put out a fire in his wood burning stove earlier in the night, but it rekindled overnight. The house is a total loss, says Pack, and nothing inside is salvageable.
WITN spoke to the woman who lives there overnight, who said she, her husband and two children escaped the fire without injury.
Pack worries tonight's frigid temperatures will bring more opportunities for house fires because of "wood stoves, fireplaces and things that don't get put into service except for this time of year," Pack said. "And they're not maintained properly."
Pack warned all homeowners to "please take extra care, and watch stoking the fire extra hot. Do your maintenance."
He also added, "We'll be there to answer the call."
WITN spoke with a woman who lives there, and she says that she, her husband, and two children made it out ok, but their house was still on fire and severely damaged.
We don't know at this time when the fire started or what may have started it, but the homeowner says she and her family have been outside for a long time. Temperatures have been falling overnight with a high in the upper 30's expected today.
The American Red Cross has been notified about the fire. We'll keep you posted as more details come in.
Posted: 05/07/2013 - The North Carolina Attorney General says just requesting information online for a payday loan can put your information and your money at risk.
Updated: 03/12/2013 - Federal officials have helped the family of a Raleigh woman recover $45,000 of the nearly $200,000 that she lost to Jamaican scammers who told her that she had won a lottery prize.
Posted: 01/15/2013 - The N.C. Attorney General's Office says they received more than 600 calls in 2012 about getting telemarketing calls pitching alarm systems.
Updated: 12/14/2012 - Wayne County deputies have charged two men and a woman for scamming people into donating to Toys for Tots and local fire departments.
Updated: 11/15/2012 - A startling message is popping up on computers everywhere claiming to be from the FBI saying your computer is locked and you're under investigation.
Updated: 11/08/2012 - As you get started on your holiday shopping list, online shopping can be a great way to snag a great deal. However, not all internet merchants are created equal, and low prices can blind consumers from spotting counterfeit items.
Posted: 08/23/2012 - With less than three months until the election in November, election-related scams are popping up. Here's one to avoid.
Updated: 08/17/2012 - The Federal Trade Commission wants parents to know that many school forms require personal and sensitive information that, in the wrong hands, could be used to commit fraud in your child's name
Updated: 08/01/2012 - The Pitt County Board of Elections says if a woman claiming to work for the agency knocks on your door, you're asked to call the board.