Vandalism At Duke Gardens Will Cost Thousands

Police are searching for suspects who vandalized the famous Duke Gardens, breaking dozens of pots and damaging a sculpture.

Authorities in Durham say the vandalism occurred sometime over the weekend, with about 40 terra cotta pots imported from Italy being damaged. A sculpture in one of the park's fountains was also damaged along with a sign.

The Sarah P. Duke Gardens, which dates to the 1930s, is one of the university's most famous features. The 55-acre attraction draws more than 300,000 visitors a year.

William LeFevre says the extent of the damage is still being tallied, but that officials expect it to cost thousands of dollars.

• by vivian Location: aulander, nc on Mar 22, 2012 at 06:41 PM
    My son's ashes are at Duke Gardens. Why vandalize it. I couldn't have found any better place for him. I am at peace knowing he is there. Shame on you who did this. Duke Gardens is very special to my husbnd & I.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 21, 2012 at 04:24 PM
    This is so sad. My girlfriend and I would walk the gardens whenever we were in Durham. I can't believe someone would do this!
  • by Gerald Location: Kinston on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:31 PM
    Could just as easily be a spoiled rich kid from Duke as anyone else. Hope they do catch and prosecute whatever idiot did such vandalism.
  • by SUNNY1 Location: GOLDSBORO NC on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    WHAT A SHAME!!!! SOME IDIOT WITH TOO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS!!!!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 07:16 AM
    Shows how incredibly ignorant some Tarheel fans are....this is such a shame!!!
  • by crazy on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:31 AM
    a tarheel fan probably did it.
      by Anon on Mar 20, 2012 at 08:25 AM in reply to crazy
      No, probably a Duke fan having a temper tantrum after their loss Friday night.
        by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM in reply to Anon
        Nah, it was a Lehigh fan still celebrating.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Mar 20, 2012 at 05:22 AM
    The person/s who did that really showed some true ignorance. I hope they are caught. They'll have a great need to brag about it at some point, hopefully to a snitch.
  • by A shame on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:50 AM
    I hope this can be fixed.....
      by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:32 AM in reply to A shame
      they're pots and statues. they can be fixed. i'm sure duke has the money to do that.
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM in reply to
        Irreplaceable antique clay pots from Italy can be fixed, but will never be worth their original value.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143455836 - witn.com/a?a=143455836