UNCG Will Recognize Christian Group

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro will recognize a Christian student organization that had filed a lawsuit over a previous decision to deny them the status of an official campus group.

In a statement Tuesday, university spokeswoman Helen Dennison Hebert said the denial had been based on a misunderstanding of the school's policy regarding student groups.

The anti-abortion group Make Up Your Own Mind wanted to require members to adhere to a Christian statement of faith. University officials initially denied their application for recognition, saying the group didn't qualify as a religious organization.

The Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian legal group, filed a lawsuit last month on the group's behalf.

Jeremy Tedesco, a lawyer representing the group, says they're glad, but waiting on further word from the university.

• by NoWayJose on Mar 14, 2012 at 09:00 PM
    WITN is censoring these posts in favor of the political right.
      by NWJ on Mar 15, 2012 at 04:55 AM in reply to NoWayJose
      Thank you.
      by REM on Mar 16, 2012 at 04:51 AM in reply to NoWayJose
      LOL, bring out the tinfoil hats!
  • by NoWayJose on Mar 14, 2012 at 01:20 PM
    The problem IS with Christians! They want to ram their beliefs down everyone's throat and they think they are justified based on some fictional characters in a outdated fictional book. We non-believers just ask they keep their religion to themselves. Moral, intelligent, loyal, taxpaying citizens who are not Christians need to stand up to this kind of Christian coercion from the courthouse to the public schools and especially at public universities where one would freedom of thought to be paramount. Christians do not own this country, never have and never will. Don't Christians realize how discriminatory it is for Atheists, Agnostics, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, Native Americans, Pagans, or other Non-religious CITIZENS to be ostracized for their beliefs? Just play a little word replacement game and insert the names of any of the groups I mentioned into the title of this article instead of Christian and see you like it! There are far, far more non-believers among you than you realize.
      by Pop Quiz on Mar 15, 2012 at 08:57 AM in reply to NoWayJose
      Friend NWJ, I agree with virtually everything in your post. But I would caution you on assigning certain characteristics to ALL Christians. There are many Christians with a live-and-let-live attitude, decent people, easy to get along with, who celebrate the same interests you and I do. I daresay some of the moderates who visit the WITN comments section cringe at the vile and vicious utterances from so, so many self-proclaimed Christians here who are extraordinarily poor witnesses for the Christ they profess to follow. Many denominations support separation of church and state, something the more self-righteous posters here are blissfully unaware of. Keep in mind that there are people like Barry Lynn, Executive Director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, who is an ordained minister. The needs of believers and non-believers is not entirely mutually exclusive. We have allies. Otherwise, good post.
        by NWJ on Mar 15, 2012 at 09:34 AM in reply to Pop Quiz
        You are absolutely right, I was wrong to be so judgemental. Most of the Christians I know are more moderate in their political perspectives and are accepting, to a degree, of alternative philosophies. I will attempt to more measured and less inflamatory in my posts.
          by Pop Quiz on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM in reply to NWJ
          Oh, man, what are you trying to do? Outchristian the Christians? If so . . . good job! Now if some of the Christian posters here would apply a fraction of the same charity they supposedly learn weekly in Sunday School, instead of all this hell raising, 9/10ths of the rancor would disappear from the WITN comments sections.
      by REM on Mar 16, 2012 at 04:55 AM in reply to NoWayJose
      Your post would look very different had it been an atheistic group being treated like outcasts. Keep blaming the Christians, we are used to it. War? Our fault. Famine? Our fault. Every other problem in the world? Our fault. We share whole blame with the Jews too. You know what, the world would just be perfect if everyone believed in nothing, and lived by their own separate morals. Yeah, there would be ZERO problems then...
  • by Pop Quiz Location: Washington on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    According to UNCG's website, the following Christian groups are officially recognized on campus: Baptist Campus Ministry, Campus Crusade for Christ, Campus Outreach, Catholic Student Fellowship, Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship, Disciples on Campus, Encounter Campus Ministries, Friends Campus Ministries, The Impact Movement, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Latter-day Saint Student Association, Presbyterian Campus Ministry, Ratio Christi, St. Mary's House Episcopal Campus Ministry, The Summit, Wesley-Luther Campus Ministry, Young Life College, Youth Taking Charge. This is 18 out of a total of 21 for the category of "Religious/Belief Based" groups. These Christian groups outnumber the others by a six-to-one margin, hardly evidence of discrimination against Christians, now is it? Frankly, I love watching all you armchair Don Quixotes tilting at windmills, sitting around scaring yourselves to death about the impending collapse of Christendom. "Help, we're being persecuted!"
  • by Anonymous on Mar 14, 2012 at 06:00 AM
    Seems like the only group which is acceptable to shun are Christians. We embrace the diversity of sexual orientation, we make sure not to offend people of color.. we dont profile because that would offend Muslims. However, it's ok to put limitations and to blatantly discriminate against Christians. Seems like a place that is supposed to embrace the free flow of ideas, has decided which ideas that are ok to consider... and Christianity is not one of those ideas up for consideration
      by REM on Mar 14, 2012 at 07:38 AM in reply to
      Yep, you are exactly right. It's funny that tolerance only works one way. Proof enough is with homosexuality. The vast majority of Christians see it as immoral and unnatural, yet we are called every nasty name in the book simply because we are voicing an opinion. You would think we are calling for murder or something. It has already been foretold though; tougher times are coming. Soon enough Christians will be put to death simply for being Christian. It's already happening in more than half of the world at the hands of Islam.
  • by Charles Location: Chocowinity on Mar 13, 2012 at 07:11 PM
    There is an organized effort, being carried out by various left wing and liberal groups, and individuals, to suppres Christian people who organize themselves. Be it on the campus of our universities, which the taxes of both sides give great support, or in the work place, the public arena, and in our political arena. Using the most stringent interpataion of the 1'st amendment's reference to religion, coupled with a vage reference of T. Jefferson in a personal letter concerning a "wall of seperation between church and state" having been erected, they presume to use this reference to determine that there is no place in the above referenced arenas, where Christianity (nor any other religion) can be exhibited openly by word, action, or symbol, but must be contained to only being a thought in any person's mind who visits these arenas! Jefferson sought not to protect goverment from religion, but religion from goverment. These powers (liberals, etc.)in the pursuit of their loose conspiracy, hope to eradicate religion, and especially Christianity, from the public life of the Nation, as well as to put a halter over the few groups or individuals who do manage to evade them and rise into existance in the public life. I do congratulate UNCG on this decision, but I feel it is hollow, born not of a true understanding of the value of this Christian group on their campus, but of compulsion. It can of only left a bitter taste in their mouth, unless, hopefully, someone's eyes were opened, their mind grasping both the letter and the spirit of our great founding documents, and stepped into the light of that spirit. May our Nation also thus embrace such a spirit, and our students on all campus'es across the land be free to thus excersise their Consitutional rights on the land and in the buildings that their parents taxes and gifts and fee's, etc, pay for. May God bless the students and the staff and the faculty of UNCG.
      by Harold on Mar 14, 2012 at 04:57 AM in reply to Charles
      You have to remember that the liberals and left wingers purposely misrepresent these things. How convenient that they leave out another Thomas Jefferson quote. "The main reason for separation of church and state is not to stop the government from making moral laws, but to stop the government from infringing upon the church," These purposeful misrepresentations are typical and mainstream all the way up to the liberal supreme court.
        by REM on Mar 14, 2012 at 05:14 AM in reply to Harold
        Most liberals don't care one single thing about how and why this nation was founded. They just want to chase self serving pleasures.
        by Charles on Mar 14, 2012 at 05:49 AM in reply to Harold
        Thank you Harold for the added information, which logicaly supports my main theme. Can you provide the source of that quote? Blessings to you.
          by Pop Quiz on Mar 14, 2012 at 08:59 AM in reply to Charles
          Harold will be unable to provide a primary source for this Thomas Jefferson quote: it's a fake. Harold is a hypocrite who accuses a group he disagrees with of misrepresentation while at the same time employing fabricated quotations himself to prop up his position. Then he complains that "liberals and left wingers" leave out his favorite falsehoods in their arguments. I'm sure you two will get along famously.
          by REM on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM in reply to Charles
          I don't know if the quote is word for word accurate, but I have read the personal writings of Thomas Jefferson (and many other founders) and I see the overwhelming evidence that he DID feel that the SYMBOLIC wall of separation was to keep both from corrupting each other. If you are trying to claim anything different, then you are ignorant at best, and a downright liar at worst. Look it up for yourself. Read the words that he (himself) wrote.
          by REM on Mar 14, 2012 at 01:35 PM in reply to Charles
          I wrote another reply, but it didn't make it through. If you read the writings of Thomas Jefferson, it was very clear that he understood that gov. and church cannot directly control one another. Influence each other? Sure! But never one over the other. The founding fathers were hyper intelligent, and knew what a theocracy would bring; but they also recognized that a free nation should also include the freedom to worship God.
          by Pop Quiz on Mar 14, 2012 at 07:09 PM in reply to Charles
          Pardon me, REM, but how do you think I spotted the bogus Jefferson quote in the first place? It's because I do read Jefferson's writings from time to time, enough to know the fakery when I see it. So let me ask you something: If you're a student of Jefferson, why haven't you corrected Charles' notion above that, "Jefferson sought not to protect goverment from religion, but religion from goverment"? That is completely unsupported by anything Jefferson said, and Charles wrote it before I joined in. It seems some of you folks are content to cast aspersions on others with a differing opinion (sometimes on the actual facts!) and then give a free pass to counterfeiters and fabricators. Why is that? I'm all for people having honest disagreements, but when ignorant folks rail against others for not buying into their fictionalized histories, then reasonable, honest discussion comes to an end. Don't condone that nonsense. (BTW, I also write replies that don't make it. We need a real forum.)
          by REM on Mar 15, 2012 at 05:34 AM in reply to Charles
          @Pop Quiz: After reading it again I probably jumped to conclusion about your opinions on the writing of Jefferson; my mistake and apology. I try to correct wrongs when I see it, but I just don't take the time to respond to every single one of the posts up here. I may have even replied to this one before you did, and it was just not posted. In any case, Jefferson did was never quoted saying exactly that, but he did stand up for the balance of church and state; and contrary to popular belief, he was very much a self titled Christian (it's a shame that a lot of people have twisted his misunderstood quotes over the years, not saying that you are one of them) You are right, we need a real forum :( Thanks for the response.
          by Pop Quiz on Mar 15, 2012 at 08:04 AM in reply to Charles
          REM, I would love to see your quote concerning Jefferson's self-titled Christianity.
          by REM on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM in reply to Charles
          Here is a really good collection of data about the religion of Thomas Jefferson. It's really difficult to define Jefferson into one particular type of person, but overall he was a BRILLIANT scholar and philosopher. Overall, I think he was a Christian. http://www.sullivan-county.com/deism/jefferson_deist.htm
          by Pop Quiz on Mar 15, 2012 at 06:23 PM in reply to Charles
          REM, I'm baffled why you still think Jefferson is a Christian when the link you gave takes one through, stepwise, with period articles and everything, as to why he is not! What's that all about? In fact, on the first page is the "Christian" quote that you wanted to post, isn't it?: -- "I am a Christian, in the only sense he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every human excellence; and believing he never claimed any other." -- What typically happens is that folks chop the quote after the word "doctrine" or "other" and put a period there. This deliberate attempt to invent "Jefferson the Christian" misrepresents the entire thought! When the sentence is made whole, the meaning is clear: Jefferson doesn't believe Jesus is divine because Jesus never claimed it for himself. REM, the most basic tenet of Christianity is that Jesus is the Christ, the divine Messiah. Without divinity, he is not.
          by REM on Mar 16, 2012 at 04:57 AM in reply to Charles
          Spin it however you want, but he is very hard to define. I said that I'm fairly sure that he was a Christian after-all. I did not say with 100% certainty. In the very least, he was a God fearing man.
          by Pop Quiz on Mar 16, 2012 at 08:37 AM in reply to Charles
          Spin? Friend REM, it doesn't matter one whit to me whether Jefferson was a Christian, Deist, Unitarian, Satanist, or other. I am compelled to go where honest evidence leads me and change wrong-headed notions as I get better information. So, you gave me an article --"Thomas Jefferson: Deist or Christian? Debunking Dr James Kennedy"-- with documentation trouncing Kennedy's notion of Jefferson as Christian. But your take-away is that you believe to a less-than-100% degree he's STILL a Christian? I think your definition of "spin" needs a little tweaking. But seriously, let me applaud you for initially asserting he was a Christian and then tempering it as you begin investigating. You have the tools. "In the very least, he was a God fearing man" is what we both agree on. Now consider this: Why, despite contrary evidence, is it so important (for generally anyone) to assert/believe Jefferson is a Christian in the first place? Isn't it enough that he was a God-fearing man?
          by REM on Mar 16, 2012 at 09:52 AM in reply to Charles
          Well, it's important to me because I run into way too many people that insist that Christianity had absolutely zero part in developing this nation. In fact, many want to claim that the founders were merely "deists" instead of Christian. The majority, being more than 50% of them were self identified as "Evangelical Christian". I guess I made an assumption from the start that you were one of the ones who insists that Jefferson (and others) were just nonchalant about their faith. After doing quite a bit of research, faith in God was one of the DEFINING roles and reasons for the formation of this nation. And to have others ignore that and downright lie to fabricate their own version of history is sickening. Thanks for discussing this with me; I have gone back and re-read many writing of Jefferson and still I can't come to an absolute conclusion of his faith. Granted, it's not the biggest issue in the world, but it means a lot to me since I try to live my life as an honest Christian. As a conservative, I think sticking to our roots is more important now than ever. My apologies for any animosity.
          by Pop Quiz on Mar 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM in reply to Charles
          You have said some interesting things in your last post that could warrant further discussion. But, lest I tempt fate, this is probably a good stopping place. I think we agree that a civil discourse can be had without stabbing each other, and the relatively long length of our exchange says plenty. I'm glad we have had a quiet space without the intrusion of other voices. Regardless of the differences, when folks are nice, I'm pleasant in return. I appreciate how you explained your point of view. This has been good. Thank you.
          by REM on Mar 16, 2012 at 07:10 PM in reply to Charles
          Likewise, my friend :)
  • by Bobble head on Mar 13, 2012 at 07:03 PM
    I want to start a Muslim student organization at UNCG. Wonder how many "Christian" hypocrites will find this offensive. Practice what you preach; love thy neighbor.
      by UNCG Alumni on Mar 14, 2012 at 04:31 AM in reply to Bobble head
      They have two....or at least did when I went from 2000-2004.
  • by WTH on Mar 13, 2012 at 05:16 PM
    THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE EVEN BEEN AN ISSUE WITH THE COLLEGE. I GUARANTEE YOU THEY WOULD NOT HAVE BLINKED AN EYE IF MUSLIMS WANTED TO FORM A GROUP. DISGUSTING!!!!!!!! UNC, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAME OF YOURSELVES!
  • by Mike on Mar 13, 2012 at 04:39 PM
    Good to hear, but UNCG is very grudgingly reversing itself. Anywhere academia can violate the religious liberty of Christians it will first try to do so.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142553225 - witn.com/a?a=142553225