Toys For Tots Drive Comes To An End

By: Dave Jordan/Chris Jones
By: Dave Jordan/Chris Jones

Our studios look a little bare now that all of the donations for Toys for Tots have been collected.

Volunteers from the American Legion helped pack up toys at our Greenville studio, while members of the Washington Noon Rotary did the same in Washington.

Toys for Tots coordinator Jack Ward says, "It just sends chills up my spine, it really does. To see the excitement of everybody working in here and the enormous amount of toys. With the economy the way it was set out this year, quite frankly I was very worried. I thought we would really be in a world of hurt. I think we're doing better this year than we did last year, and we do thank everyone for that."

The toys are now being sorted, bagged, and given to more than a dozen non-profits and churches that requested them. Those groups will decide if Johnny gets a pair of skates or Suzie gets a doll.

WITN would like to say thanks once again who helped make this year's drive a success.

• by ME Location: ENC on Dec 17, 2011 at 03:37 PM
    Local Family Toy Request Form This form accepts Toy requests from families, individuals, and For-Profit Organization. Unless otherwise noted, the campaign accepts toy requests for children in the age groups provided. SELECT YES NO I agree to the conditions of the Local Toys For Tots Campaign relating to Toy Requests: I agree to the following terms:. Toys donated by Toys For Tots will not be auctioned, sold or otherwise turned over for monetary donations. Toys donated by Toys For Tots will not be taken out of state for distribution. I understand any violation of the above agreement will result in disqualification from future donations I never got anything back. I know what Christmas is about. The funny thing is I have never asked for help before.
  • by USMC Retired Location: Ayden on Dec 17, 2011 at 01:25 PM
    The Toys For Tots campaign is a middle man between the generousity of the local community and those in need. The local campaign coordinator collects the toys from the generous public. The toys are then sorted according to age and gender. Then the toys are distributed to a local charitable organization, such as a church. The signed up families receive their toys from these local charitable organizations. Logistical requirements prevent the Toys For Tots from distributing the generousity of the community directly to the families. All the individuals involved in the Toys For Tots are volunteers. Hopefully, the needy families only register with one charitable organization to ensure that the generoustiy of the community is spread around.
  • by @ dirty Gary on Dec 17, 2011 at 09:14 AM
    Christmas isnt about toys it's about family and being thankful for what you had, I would rather have a cell phone in case of emerdNcy and Internet for info then some toys.
  • by ME Location: ENC on Dec 17, 2011 at 07:38 AM
    I went to the website and sign up. Never got anything back.
  • by dirty harry Location: Washington on Dec 17, 2011 at 06:14 AM
    Its very sad those children and thousand of others won't have Christmas. But maybe its not to late to sign up. If u can't afford to buy your children Christmas how dose one afford to pay a cell phone bill or have inner net. Curious that's all.
  • by To ENC... Location: Lenoir County on Dec 17, 2011 at 05:40 AM
    I saw plenty of signs posted up around the area about the Christmas Cheer sign up. Don't blame the Salvation Army for something that you overlooked. Plus, I'm pretty sure that you know someone who probably told you about it but you just lost track of time or was too busy doing something else to go sign up. By the way, they are having a late sign up on Dec 21...not sure of the time but if you're as serious as you sound, you might want to call first thing Monday morning and find out.
  • by To ENC Location: Kinston on Dec 17, 2011 at 05:30 AM
    Its not too late! Its a late sign up on the 21st...jus make sure you are there early because you are not the only one I've heard that wanted to sign up but didn't get the word back in November. Good luck with everything!
  • by ENC on Dec 17, 2011 at 04:09 AM
    But, after a few hours of thought everything will work out. My children will have true gifts for Christmas and that will be a gift that they can treasure for years to come. We will be home, spending Christmas as a family with plenty of love and a few homemade gifts because it's truly not about what you get. They will get a few homemade toys but, will also get plenty of love and know the True Reason For the Season.
  • by ENC on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:56 PM
    It would be wonderful if those who needed toys could get them. I have three children and was laid off six months ago but because I live in Lenoir County where the Salvation Army doesn't try to spread the word about sign up for Christmas Cheer sign up I missed out. I have had yard sales for two weeks but, it's looking like my children won't have Christmas because that money went to the light bill and to purchase food.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135774468 - witn.com/a?a=135774468