Hertford County Toddler Tested Positive For Cocaine

Two parents are heading to court to tell a judge why their three-year-old son tested positive for cocaine.

Court records show 34-year-old Jarrell Donnell Dunn of Conway and 30-year-old Delneshia Smith of Murfreesboro are charged with misdemeanor child abuse.

Lawmen say their three-year-old son tested positive for cocaine on November 11 when he was taken to the ER because he had a seizure. That's according to the Roanoke-Chowan News Herald.

The boy was cared for by his father and grandmother that day before the seizures started, and the report says two other women also drove the child during the day.

It's not clear where, when or how the child ingested cocaine.

• by Me Location: NC on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    Waterboard the todler till he talks and tells of where he got the stuff.
  • by Concerned Parent Location: Greenville, NC on Nov 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    It's ashamed how people take advantage of babies before they even have a real chance in the world. These kids are our next generation we are destroying our seeds.
  • by Pharmacy Tech. & MLT Location: Greenville on Nov 30, 2011 at 07:16 AM
    First off...there is no drug that will make you positive for Cocaine except for Cocaine. The medications used at the dentist are a derivtive of Cocaine used for its numbing propoerties but are not the actually drug. Which means when you test for this drug you are testing for the bi-product of the drug in the system. Not the drug itself. Only Cocaine the narcotic comes up positive on a urine, blood, or hair drug test. Lidocaine etc does not product the same bi-product. Who ever was around this child with this drug needs to be punished to the highest extent of the law. This is such a sad story.
  • by Nurse Location: Greenville on Nov 30, 2011 at 06:30 AM
    To Anon are you crazy or just plain stupid. I hope your comment is just a joke, if not you need to be locked up. Your mentality is 0
  • by Anon on Nov 29, 2011 at 04:18 PM
    I let my kids smoke some of my weed, but coke is going overboard, plus it's too expensive to waste on them.
      by Carolina Gal on Nov 30, 2011 at 05:56 AM in reply to Anon
      Anon......you are a sick person!!! You do not need kids!!!!
      by quan on Nov 30, 2011 at 07:15 AM in reply to Anon
      me to, nothing wrong with that
      by nasheeka on Nov 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM in reply to Anon
      you need your kids tooken away from you to thats not cute nor funny
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM in reply to Anon
      Sadly, your just one in many who probably thinks that's okay. How old are your 'kids'?
      by NC Resident on Dec 3, 2011 at 12:48 AM in reply to Anon
      I'll bet you're receiving some monthly assistance checks for them too, right?
  • by 40some on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    Here comes the next lost generation. After reading "Nursery Nurse's" comment, we need to take these kids and put them in a state run ophanage. No telling how developmentally challenged they will be after being exposed to drugs at such a young age and before birth. Parents with children that test positive at birth should be sterilized.
  • by Nursery Nurse on Nov 29, 2011 at 09:12 AM
    As a nursery nurse in a local hospital, we have babies all of the time that test positive for drugs...marijuana, cocaine, methadone. Social services sends these precious babies home with the parents. They say they want to keep the "family" together and since a fetus is not a "real human being" yet, they can't charge the parents with anything?? Crazy! We had a mom say that her baby was positive for cocaine because she was prescribed tylenol with codiene...right sweetie, that is not how that works!
      by Excuse ME on Nov 29, 2011 at 02:23 PM in reply to Nursery Nurse
      What the heck is wrong with this country that for one second think that a child is better off with parents that are addicted to drugs or alcohol. I was raised in a Baptist Children's Home and thank the good Lord every day for it. I'm so blessed to have gotten out of my environment. Because of it, I'm NOT a burden to society and don't feel as if the private sector OWES me a thing. I was taught hard work and persistence pays off. I'm sure these babies that are left to fend for themselves at the age of birth will no doubt live the only life they know. The same as their parents. Ever heard the term " product of their environment?" Oh and thank the state of N.C. the Baptist Children's Home is NOT what it used to be. We had 200-250 children there in the 70's. Lucky to have 15 now, most have been in trouble with the law. And these parents need to be in jail, and their monthly check should be canceled forever!
  • by Anonymous on Nov 29, 2011 at 07:49 AM
    To Former OLI are you serious are you thinking this is funny., People are sick, misdemeanor charge are you kidding me.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:07 AM in reply to
      No; I do not. I was offering an explanation as to why this person/s have not yet been charged with a felony.(See my earlier post). A poster using 'LOL!' has been cyber stalking me for saying 'wow, oh wow' in a post on another article. I thought you were them; no harm intended.
  • by LEW Location: MOTOWN on Nov 29, 2011 at 07:31 AM
    This is just the tip of the iceberg. Without personal responsibility, family and parental peer pressure to not accept this type of behaivor, the problem will grow and grow. Most people today just wait for the judges to tell us how to live and what arrangements will be made as if they do not possess enough common sense to get out of bed. But the judges and the courts cannot do anything except put a politically correct face on the problem. The courts cannot enforce what actually happens behind closed doors. The courts and law enforcement are so overwhelmed already they can barely place a temporary make shift bandaid on the problem. As said, "Tip of the iceberg."
  • by Shocked Location: Pitt County on Nov 29, 2011 at 07:30 AM
    It's more like wake up to our Judicial System! A Three Year Old has no sense of right from wrong but the men and women who bore children these days do or rather should. A Misdemeanor is a slap on the wrist, community service might cramp their life style but time behind bars would definitely change it.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134659673 - witn.com/a?a=134659673