State Wants Girls To Consider Careers In Engineering

The North Carolina Department of Transportation is hosting a series of workshops around the state to encourage girls in school to think about careers as engineers.

The department cites a National Science Foundation study showing that just 11 percent of engineers are women as motivation to get more young women thinking about the field.

Nazia Sarder, a transportation engineer with the agency, says one of the goals of the workshops is to show girls the wide variety of things engineers do, from reducing air pollution to designing bridges.

The first workshop will be held Monday in Greenville, followed by Charlotte, Raleigh and Winston-Salem later in the week.

• by Encourage? on Feb 12, 2012 at 07:18 PM
    People are gonna do what they want. I could try to be a surgeon, but everytime I tried to cut into my patients, I'd faint. So, I probably wouldn't be the best candidate. (no matter how much I could learn about things in class)...BTW women can design things as well or better than men can. Just don't ask them to step on a bug or get rid of a snake in the yard.
  • by EngineerGraduate Location: Greenville/Charlotte,NC on Feb 12, 2012 at 03:24 PM
    I think that this is great.. But what about the girls out there that have a 4 year engineering degree that can not find jobs or opportunities within the engineering field over the past 3 years.. How about a job fair or workshop for them too?
  • by Beachbum3 on Feb 12, 2012 at 01:02 PM
    the state needs to work on their mainteance of the states roadways an bridges . an let the people in colleges decide for themslevel as to their lif career paths all of these so called engineers (p.e.s.)currently within the ncdot needs to stop allowing for their credentials to be misuse to defraud the general public an the taxpaying citizens in this state due to the fact that they are the ones that are allowing for fraudlent false claime issue s to be apid out to contracting enitys that are not providing the best an highest quality of performance to the taxpaying citizen across this state.. for these so called engineers are allowed for the performance of non-speceficaiton work to take place on highway construction projects an contracting enitys are resopnsible for the performance of bad non speceficaiton work are in a lot of need of these engineers both male an female engineers of having more actual field experience prior to their being turned lose an actually put in charge of multi-million dollars worth of highway construction projects thatened up costing the taxpayers extra money for bad worked performed by contracting enitys on these projects
  • by Anonymous on Feb 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    Great now all of our buildings,roads and bridges will fall apart.
      by Anonymous on Feb 12, 2012 at 04:41 PM in reply to
      Come quickly Jesus!
      by hope on Feb 12, 2012 at 05:07 PM in reply to
      you can't be serious. Look where your male domination has gotten us to thus far.
        by no CHANGE on Feb 13, 2012 at 01:58 PM in reply to hope
        I would say the most advanced civilzation on the planet thus far.
  • by me Location: Greenville on Feb 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    This is ridiculous! I was so excited and wanted to take my daughter to the program so I looked it up online. It is scheduled 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., right in the middle of the school day. There go our Tax dollars at work.
  • by Jerry Location: Greenville on Feb 12, 2012 at 08:03 AM
    This is such a waste of money! I have no problem with women becoming Engineers but why is the state wasting money by creating these workshops? When they could use the money to fix roads instead. We don't need the states help in deciding our career paths.
      by Anonymous on Feb 12, 2012 at 01:04 PM in reply to Jerry
      I could not agree more. I guarantee this is being done to meet some type of diversity objective.
  • by Alpha Location: Lenoir on Feb 12, 2012 at 07:45 AM
    One would think that that old 50's logic of instructing these girls on how to cook and clean house would be considered sexist. But with the knowledge that girls do finish college at such a higher rate than their male counterparts, maybe the boys need to take home economics.
  • by Time and Place? on Feb 12, 2012 at 07:02 AM
    This sounds like a good idea. What is the location of the workshop and what time? Thanks.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139178449 - witn.com/a?a=139178449