A North Carolina state agency that created videos for state government and got public service announcements on television is closing its doors in April because of cash flow problems.
The Department of Administration announced Wednesday the Agency for Public Telecommunications will shut down effective April 9.
Administration Secretary Moses Carey said it was a difficult decision but the agency couldn't generate adequate revenue to cover its expenses.
The agency opened its doors in 1979. The Legislature ended state funding for the agency and told it to become self-sustaining.
Director Ivy Hoffman said the transition had been successful but needed a couple hundred thousand dollars to cover its bills until revenues arrived in the spring.
Eleven people work at the agency, which also produced a statewide call-in show.