One group of people who sued over North Carolina's new district boundaries for Congress and the General Assembly have decided against appealing a trial court ruling last week that allows the May 8 primary to go on as scheduled.
Democratic elected officials and registered voters released a statement Wednesday that they would not ask the state Supreme Court to consider its request to delay the primary and block the maps from being used.
The plaintiffs said their lawsuit over maps they argue are unconstitutional and create racial gerrymandering will continue.
A lawyer for another group of plaintiffs -- comprised of civil rights and election watchdogs groups -- who also sued said they'll make a final decision early next week about whether they'll appeal the denial of their preliminary injunction.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.