Racial Justice Death Row Case Continues As Scheduled

A judge ruled a hearing involving a killer who's the first on North Carolina's death row to use a new law to try to prove that race played a role in his sentence continue as scheduled.

Superior Court Judge Greg Weeks denied a motion by prosecutors who wanted the defense to start presenting the case Monday.

Prosecutors then wanted a delay in presenting their case.

The hearing is underway in Cumberland County.

Marcus Robinson is using the Racial Justice Act to try to get a sentence of life in prison without parole instead of the death penalty.

Death penalty opponents say the prosecutors who won Robinson's conviction dismissed qualified black jurors more than three times the rate of white jurors.

Robinson was sentenced to death in Cumberland County for the 1991 death of Erik Tornblom.

(Copyright 2012 by WITN & The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by cs Location: spring hope on Jan 31, 2012 at 06:30 AM
    Per NC Department of Corrections, 43 persons have been executed in NC since March of 1984. 13 of those executed were black inmates, the rest were white. 29 of the whites executed had murdered white victimes, 1 murdered a black victim. Of the 13 blacks executed, 7 murdered black victims & 6 white victims.
  • by disgusted by racism on Jan 31, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    I would like to begin comment by saying I disagree whole-heartedly with this scum trying to play a race card to get out of the punishment for a crime which he commited. That being said, the racist comments you people leave are actually more fuel and proof for people to get away with such absured claims! There are barbaric ignorant trashy people in every race, the same as there are upstanding people of every race. Thought of white supremacy should have ended years ago, sadly it has not. I am sickened by the comments I see on every story involving african americans. Again, I do not agree either with them playing the race card, nor do I agree with the crimes these people commit. But it is time everyone becomes a little more educated and realize that being of a certain race does not make one more violent or criminal. Stop the sterotypes before you pass your insane theories on to younger generations, thus creating a never ending cycle of hate.
  • by Go away on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    Trashy people are like bull dogs running around a neighborhood off a leash and terrorizing it. You can't do anything regardless of what they do. Where are people's hearts and minds of justice these days. Color shouldn't be an excuse. I'm black so I can act like a monkey in the jungle...right...so sickening
  • by la on Jan 30, 2012 at 03:34 PM
    I look to me like know one have a problems with racism
  • by Inosent! on Jan 30, 2012 at 03:34 PM
    He be inosent in the 1st place!
  • by Duke Location: Greenville on Jan 30, 2012 at 02:32 PM
    I can't wait to see how the NAACP (National Association for the Acquittal of Convicted Prisoners) comes to the aid of their "wronged brother." Funny how they avoid the issue of WHY these men are on death row in the first place. Hey Rev. Barber (hint hint), they are not there for unpaid traffic tickets.
  • by ralphie Location: ahoskie on Jan 30, 2012 at 01:20 PM
    What is sad, is how the victims are ignored in this mess. Race only played a role in the crime being committed in that africans tend to be barbaric animals. As to race getting the verdict or sentence? Only insofar as africans are barbaric animals more often than they are civilized. Now- do not get angry that I observed it. Be angry that what I observed is there to be seen.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    Can't wait hear lavon and barlow's take on this.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Jan 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    I'm sure Lavon don't realize it. If he was the president then he would pardon this killer.
  • by Disgusted Location: ENC on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    I agree 100% Betty.....death row inmates stay on death row way too long as it is now. Race is ALWAYS an issue with everything these days......the Al Sharptons of this country are always pointing fingers!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138336429 - witn.com/a?a=138336429