President Obama, Other Leaders Comment On Gov. Perdue's Decision

The Associated Press released this collection of quotes reacting to North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue's decision not to seek re-election in 2012. Some quotes were abbreviated for space and edited for AP style.

"As the first woman to serve as North Carolina's lieutenant governor and governor, Bev Perdue has never been afraid to break barriers. For over 25 years, she has fought for the people of the Tar Heel State -- working to transform the state's public schools, improve the health care system, protect and attract jobs for members of the military and their families, and create the jobs of the future. Michelle and I want to congratulate Gov. Perdue on her historic tenure, and we wish Bev and her family well in the future." -- President Barack Obama.

"Gov. Perdue's decision today is not shocking. Perdue's economic agenda was defined by her desire to raise taxes on all North Carolinians. The numerous scandals and failures of leadership are well documented and caused people to lose faith in her abilities to lead the state." -- State Republican Party Chairman Robin Hayes.

"Gov. Perdue will leave office with a reputation as a good governor who managed this state through a difficult time. Despite the financial circumstances of our state, though, she kept a focus on education. She realized that education moves our state forward and moves our people forward. She never forgot that and it was at the core of her time as a legislator and in the executive branch. I am grateful for her service to our state and wish her well." -- House Minority Leader Joe Hackney, D-Orange.

"My message has been and will continue to be that we must fix our broken government and broken economy and put our North Carolina resources back to work. That's why next week I plan to announce my intentions to seek the honor of serving as North Carolina's next governor." -- Former Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory, who is seeking the Republican nomination.

"I am the only candidate who has run and won statewide and I look forward to waging an aggressive campaign. Elections are about choices. As a state we must decide the direction in which we will turn. With this campaign, I choose to look ahead to a brighter future. I choose progress. I choose a future where public education is the foundation of our economy." -- Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton, who announced he's running for governor after Perdue's decision was made public.

"It's now clear that the past four years of having a Democratic governor in North Carolina have been a failure. North Carolina's lost ground to its neighbors, and now has the worst unemployment rate in the region. It's never been more clear that North Carolina needs a Republican governor who will bring fresh ideas and a new perspective to the governor's office." -- Phil Cox, executive director, Republican Governors Association.

"Following in the proud tradition of Democratic governors like Terry Sanford and Jim Hunt, she spent the last three years fighting to make North Carolina's school children her top priority in spite of tough economic times ... I respect Gov. Perdue's very difficult personal decision not to seek re-election, but it is true to character that she has promised to keep fighting for her priorities: helping North Carolina's economy and making sure that every child gets a quality education." -- Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, chairman of the Democratic Governors Association, of which Perdue is vice chairwoman.

"Gov. Perdue has had a long and dedicated career in public service in North Carolina. All too often, the sacrifices of public officials go unnoted, so I acknowledge her hard work and her years of service to the state. Whether we agree with her politics or not, we all should respect her for her commitment to North Carolina over these many years. Republicans in the General Assembly have disagreed deeply with the governor over many issues, but I am hopeful we can find opportunities in her remaining time in office to work on legislative matters that will become a part of her legacy, and do so for the good of all North Carolinians. I wish Gov. Perdue and her family the very best." -- House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg.

"Gov. Bev Perdue has been a champion for school children, and she has fought to keep our education system from being dismantled. She has also been a real advocate for the 99 percent in North Carolina." -- Senate Minority Leader Martin Nesbitt, D-Buncombe.

"Gov. Beverly Perdue deserves our gratitude for guiding our state in very difficult times, and for being a good friend to the City of Charlotte. Her decision not to run for re-election came as a surprise to me. I remain focused on Charlotte and the substantial work ahead. I will spend the coming weeks talking with my family and friends about how I could best serve our city and state, and I ask the public and media for some patience as I work through those conversations." -- Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx.

• by Roy on Jan 27, 2012 at 07:15 PM
    To Anonymous. When a Republican complains about cuts to Education - you say it is ok because she did the best she could. North Carolina has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation- that is not a national problem -it is our problem. That falls to the governor whether Dem, Rep or independent.
  • by Roy on Jan 27, 2012 at 07:06 PM
    To Obama Sanke Oil - your response does not make sense to me. I am stating the areas where Perdue is weak - I do not support her.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 27, 2012 at 05:27 AM
    If the governor was a male, would this be such a big deal? So she's decided not to run again. She's probably already got plans in the works. She's got her nice big home in New Bern to return to. She can write a book, get involved in the chamber of commerce, run for a seat on the board of aldermen, make guest appearances to recap her days in office, appear on Ch.3 New Bern, etc... Now, let's move on to new candidates.
  • by RN Location: Pitt on Jan 26, 2012 at 08:34 PM
    Look at our gas prices compared to other states, she cut state employees pay then spent a million or so to build a "Teacup" museum. I bet she didnt cut her pay. She is a joke !!
  • by Citizen Location: Greenville on Jan 26, 2012 at 08:31 PM
    Hey, WITN, how many stories do you need to publish about the same story???????
  • by Anonymous on Jan 26, 2012 at 07:28 PM
    As always, the "classy" republicans!
  • by KatDaddy on Jan 26, 2012 at 07:04 PM
    I can't wait to tell him "You're fired!!"
  • by Anonymous on Jan 26, 2012 at 06:44 PM
    OK WITN. You can stop using her Glamour Shots photo and post a picture that actually looks like the Joke--I mean Governor.
  • by Kellie Location: GVegas on Jan 26, 2012 at 06:32 PM
    Are yall kidding? She is not running because she knows she will lose, and she always tells people she has never lost an election.
  • by Terry on Jan 26, 2012 at 06:22 PM
    She was a terrible Governor and Obama praises her. Really shows "Birds of a feather flock together". Buzzards both.
      by Anonymous on Jan 26, 2012 at 07:30 PM in reply to Terry
      How excalty was she bad? Please tell me excatly what she did that was so terrible. Too many times people spout off but do not back up what they say with facts!
        by Roy on Jan 26, 2012 at 09:30 PM in reply to
        Lets see if I can show you some examples- cuts to education, reduction of teachers, state budget, state employee's lack of raises, unemployment, loss of business', wasted money on trips to China.
          by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 03:44 AM in reply to Roy
          What would anyone else have done differently, esp. a Republican? If the State doesn't have any money coming in, how do you not cut the budget. Everyone screams for lower taxes but then wonders why teh State budget has been cut. She limited the cuts to education as best she could, it's Republicans who wanted to cut more in educaiton and claim teachers make too much. I'm not saying she was perfect but she is far from the worst ever. As for teh lost jobs, that is national crisis that one one person can fix. It's not a Republican or Democrat problem, it's a bipartisan problem.
          by Obama Snake Oil co on Jan 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM in reply to Roy
          Well, I can keep it simple for you, we would have ids at voter booths to prevent illegals from voting, we would be paying less gas taxes at the pumps right now, we would have more companies move back or even stay in our state due to EPA regs and high taxes, we would then have jobs and more money in the coffers to pay raises.....foot be bleedin Roy...
        by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 03:44 AM in reply to
        By the way, what do you think McCrory is going to do to education, all he cares about is business.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138166664 - witn.com/a?a=138166664