Powerball Ticket Price Doubles Sunday To $2

The price to play a Powerball ticket doubles starting Sunday. Tickets for the multi-state game now cost two dollars.

Those in charge of the lottery are gambling people are willing to pay more for the hope of becoming a millionaire in a down economy. Powerball is the big fish of the various lottery games and typically has some of the biggest payouts. Picking the right numbers will now have a bigger payoff: The starting jackpot is rising from 20 to 40 million dollars.

The move is a strategy to differentiate the game from mega millions, the other big money, multi-state lottery game sold for a dollar a ticket.

• by Dak Location: Timbuktu on Feb 5, 2012 at 03:51 PM
    Look where the Heck is my money going. When they first started the lottery in NC a guy went to jail for lining his pcokets. The roads are awful there, the schools suck and so do the teachers. Who is stealing my money? The Governor is leaving office soon.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    geez folks....you will still go out and buy one. Get over yourself.
  • by Steve Location: Grifton on Jan 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM
    Nice to see a Trekkie on the WITN comments. That's great. Anyway, about lottery and education... don't believe it. The numbers were posted in the Daily Reflector, I think, or maybe another paper, but I think it was the Reflector. Something like 2-3% of the lottery money was going to the schools. Maybe it wasn't that low, but I was talking to an old friend who lives in California about it, and CA has had the state-run lottery for a lot longer than NC. So I tell him, well, they told us it would benefit the schools. Apparently that's what they sold CA on as well. It doesn't go to the schools. A lot goes to the winner, obviously. From the rest, a lot goes to the people who run it. And they give a little to the schools, maybe the roads or whatever. Here's another something: Nine times outta ten, most of the people who benefit from lottery (including the winner) are better off financially than most of the people who bought tickets. So when you boil it down, it's just the poor helping the rich get richer.
  • by 44mag. on Jan 15, 2012 at 06:06 PM
    I'm going to take my grand kids out for ice cream,instead of throwing the money away on a state run scam!!!
  • by Chesterton on Jan 15, 2012 at 03:38 PM
    What a cynical move by the state. For shame. Follow the $.
  • by BLAH on Jan 15, 2012 at 03:08 PM
    Why Not!Everything else has gone up 100% under the obama depression.
  • by Billyjoejimbob Location: ENC on Jan 15, 2012 at 02:52 PM
    I've been playing Powerball since it started in NC. If I won, great. If I lost, I figured the money was going to education. Well I bought my last ticket Saturday because it's going to $2.
  • by whit Location: grifton on Jan 15, 2012 at 02:34 PM
    I will not buy powerball ticket starting today. Ridiculous.
  • by wised up on Jan 15, 2012 at 01:35 PM
    look at the drawing.ever get a look under the table?the buying of tickets stops 30 minutes before the drawing.why? they have time to run all numbers threw the computer and see which numbera did not hit,thus jacking up the jackpot so more dummies will play.If the jackpot increases by 10 million dollars does that me there were 10 million tickets bought? would'nt you think one set of numbers would have in 10 million plays hit?can you tell from where you sit the size and weight of the winning balls?several states have been caught rigging the lottery.hey! google it and see.
  • by pete Location: grifton on Jan 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    What a great state.more for lottery tickets,more tax on gasoline.one of the lowest payouts in the lottery business,OH! did I forget a new toll road and take a look at the roads down east and lend an ear. kalump kalump kalump.just where is the road tax money going?ride road 1004,102, grifton-hugo road, 903 and it keeps going and going.green county has better roads on a smaller budget than either pitt or lenoir county.why?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137372938 - witn.com/a?a=137372938