Perdue's Campaign Gives Up $41,000 After Plea

Gov. Beverly Perdue's campaign is giving up more than $41,000 in contributions that are linked to its chief fundraiser for the 2008 elections now that he's been convicted of a felony linked to campaign finance-related activities.

Perdue's campaign gave $32,000 to the State Board of Elections on Wednesday, when former finance director Peter Reichard entered a plea in a Raleigh courtroom. He accepted criminal responsibility for an alleged scheme in which he funneled a donor's money to pad a Perdue campaign worker's salary.

Perdue's campaign committee considers the $32,000 an unlawful benefit of which it was previously unaware.

Perdue campaign manager Fiona Conroy also said the campaign will make a donation to a food bank for $9,100 -- the amount of money Reichard gave to the campaign over the years.

• by 40some on Dec 15, 2011 at 02:17 PM
    I wonder what happened to her other Anonymous defender that was spouting about how the GOP shafted education and the teachers? Comment was something like, "The gop...now teachers are having to pay for supplies and haven't had a raise in three years"...All that was on the DEMO watch, gop just got to raleigh a year and a half ago.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 15, 2011 at 08:34 AM
    The two most important words in the story are "Chief Fundraiser". I would be willing to venture their are several other shaddy contributions and dispersals. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck. then
      by Obama Snake Oil Co on Dec 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM in reply to
      I think they should add to the "bag limit" for ducks....seem like one is getting away...
  • by 40some on Dec 15, 2011 at 07:27 AM
    I'm so glad to see that people are realizing what I've been saying about her since the last election. Hunt/Easley political machine...This apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Robbing the lottery to balance the budget. Which one stole the highway money to balance the budget? Was that Hunt or Weasley?
  • by Campaign Reform NOW Location: USA on Dec 15, 2011 at 06:28 AM
    Another example of why we need to change how we fund elections!! This stuff goes on ALL the time with BOTH partys!! We continue to pay for our representation TWICE!! Thier salary and then PACs/lobbyists!! If you can't BUY a politician you have NO representation in Raleigh nor Washington!! In any other situation it would be called a bribe, but in politics it's called a contribution!! They continue to LIE to us saying contibutions will not sway their vote!! Really!! So.. they'll take THOUSANDS of $ and not make a difference in the way they vote??!! Give me a break, what a blatant LIE!! The pay back to donors cost us MILLIONS about it appointments, etc as polictical pay back
      by Lubba on Dec 15, 2011 at 08:18 AM in reply to Campaign Reform NOW
      Amen, Thats why Obama took 1.4 million from goldman sacs, and as we know, he has protected wall street. Its funny to me how the people who "occupy" all these places are pro Obama, but yet reality is he supports the money robbing theifs of the middle class in the stock market. But don't worry everyone, your favorite Repub canidate will follow right in his footsteps. Just wait and see. It's all about the money now when your in Washington, with alot of fake promises. Obama and Bush are the same color.....Green as greed
  • by Obama Snake Oil co Location: Washington on Dec 15, 2011 at 06:09 AM
    Anyone seen Lavon and Barlow? They are always so supportive of her every move. I hope to hear how they justify this one....
      by WOW on Dec 15, 2011 at 08:59 AM in reply to Obama Snake Oil co
      I found Barlow. He's over there giving his favorite person credit for the unemployment numbers going down last week.
        by Harold on Dec 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM in reply to WOW
        I wonder will he give him credit for the homeless numbers going up also. He hasn't posted there either, lol. Unless he is using one of his other names so it will look like someone agrees with him.
          by WOW on Dec 15, 2011 at 01:11 PM in reply to Harold
          Good point..
          by Obama Snake Oil co on Dec 15, 2011 at 03:17 PM in reply to Harold
          I was wondering where they went...normally, I used to be able to beat em up and take their lunch money away but now...anti bully laws...Yeah, we have to have trivia games for cash....Todays accomplishments that Obama has made....I got both of their lunch money without a punch! I guess there will be anti triva laws offered up on Obama....LOL
  • by Ben Location: Kinston on Dec 15, 2011 at 05:48 AM
    What's the difference between Perdue and Blagojevich? None, except Blagojevich is going to the big house and our Bev continues to live in the state house.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 15, 2011 at 05:42 AM
    Can we move her office to Butner to the prison there, and call this the executive mansion.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Dec 15, 2011 at 05:34 AM
    The way I see it, she's really admitting some guilt by giving back that sum of money. I don't buy the 'I didn't know' excuse. She's supposed to be good with finances (think, manage the state budget). I agree with another poster about trying to smooth it over by giving to charity. What a shame she's letting her own people take the fall for her. These actions change my mind about her qualifications for Governor.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 15, 2011 at 04:36 AM
    She sounds like Jim Hunt just not as smooth. Dept of Revenue scandal-"I didn't know what was going on"-Jim Hunt; Election finance scandal-"I didn't know what was going on"-Jim Hunt; DMV scandal-"I didn't know what was going on". Global Transpork/kiss up to and profit Harveys scandal-"I didn't know what was going on"-Jim Hunt; at least Jim Hunt, the most experienced Governor in NC history was honest on ONE thing. He didn't know what was going on!
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Dec 15, 2011 at 04:07 AM
    She came out of the Easley/Hunt stable - so there you are! No wonder we can't balance the budget in NC or count the # of vehicles........ She didn't even know what was going on in her own campaign..... right????? Well Bev, we all know better.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135627993 - witn.com/a?a=135627993