Perdue Makes Quick Move On Jobless Benefits

Gov. Beverly Perdue has signed an executive order changing state rules so that as many as 25,000 long-term jobless workers could keep getting extended unemployed benefits after the end of the month.

Perdue signed Wednesday the order that was similar to one she signed last spring to end a standoff with the Republican-led Legislature over the benefits.

The state unemployment benefits office had alerted recipients of extended benefits they would run out the week of Jan. 28 if nothing changed. Congress recently agreed to extend benefits for two months, but state rules had to be altered, too.

Earlier Wednesday, Republican legislative leaders encouraged Perdue to reconvene the General Assembly to act on the rules. Some people last year questioned whether Perdue had the authority to change the rules by herself.

• by lizziebee Location: greenville,nc on Jan 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    she still won't be governor again what about the state employees who money she took to pay nc bills what about our bills no one gives us a break as a matter of fact if you don't pay your taxes on time look at the money they add to you knowing you have to pay your taxes or you can't drive what are they doing with that money? can we fire the politicians they are not having money problems no one calls them to ask when they are going to pay a bill, they don't have to live (we cannot even make it to the paycheck) pay check to pay check, they don't have to borrow from peter to pay paul.
  • by T Location: Greenville on Jan 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    Funny how Ms Perdue is quick to turn money loose while at the same time lets a gas tax go through that hurts EVERYONE. I can't wait to vote against her!
  • by country boy Location: havelock on Jan 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    This is one of the tricks for the Democrats to get more votes. They already have all minorities locked in because of their welfare dependecy and now working on the middle class white who whats to stay on the welfare rolls.
  • by pete Location: grifton on Jan 12, 2012 at 09:06 AM
    The only quick move I want to see bev Perdue make is a quick move out of the governors mansion.
      by Obama Snake Oil Co on Jan 12, 2012 at 09:49 AM in reply to pete
      Don't worry, that is why she signed this bill quickly....in 2012 she will need the benefits for herself.
      by Sad Part on Jan 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM in reply to pete
      The sad part about this is the fact that if a session had been called and the republicans approved it she would have vetoed it. Bye, bye Bev, this is much, much too little, much, much too late!!! You will be on the unemployment lines with Obama in 2013.
  • by Great on Jan 12, 2012 at 08:30 AM
    More of our taxpaying dollars helping people not working live....It sucks that I work 12-14 hours a day, get taxed out of my butt and I will not get a cent to help with my house, car or my child when I have one. This country is bass ackwards!!!
  • by job hunter on Jan 12, 2012 at 08:15 AM
    HEY, guess what THERE ARE JOBS OUT THERE, don't just go to the unemployment office, use monster.com, careerbuilders.com and others. There are job listings in the paper. If you are trying, then hang in there. Yes I know it's hard, it took me awhile to find one. If you aren't and just want to whune about how unfair it is and that you are being judged for being a SPONGE, no sympathy for you. get a job you bum (for thise who are just sitting there and not trying)
  • by Anonymous on Jan 12, 2012 at 08:11 AM
    To all those who are whining about how unfair it is in finding a job. Guess what, I'm tryingto find a job also, but unlike you I don't get unemployment. Instead I went back to school and learned a new skill, but even that doesn't mean it's going to lead to a new job. I will take other kinds of jobs, I'm not picky, unlike others on here.
  • by Bob on Jan 12, 2012 at 06:51 AM
    What is Perdue thinking. If she keeps extending the benefits then no one is going to be out looking for a job. They can make more sitting home than they can at a job. I have "Job seekers" come into my retail store every week. They don't ask if we're hiring, they only ask "Can you sign my papers" so that they can continue to get unemployeement. Most of the time I don't sign their "Papers". The only time that I "Sign their papers" is if they are sincere and ask for a job....
      by Anonymous on Jan 12, 2012 at 08:41 AM in reply to Bob
      "Will you sign my papers".....my reply would be "Will you remove your worthless self from my business"
  • by Tim Location: Greenville on Jan 12, 2012 at 06:49 AM
    This is just insane. Why don't they put this TYPE of SPENDING up for a bond vote? They always put stuff up that they we need....schools, prisons, jails, roads/highways....they NEVER EVER cut the social welfraud programs....IT is TIME for a change....let us vote to see whether or not we want to fund the "non-essentials."
      by Anonymous on Jan 12, 2012 at 08:38 AM in reply to Tim
      I love the term "welfraud".....fits most users quite nicely.
        by Anonymous on Jan 12, 2012 at 09:13 AM in reply to
        AMEN to that!!
        by Barlow on Jan 12, 2012 at 09:49 AM in reply to
        Only until the day YOU need it, of course
  • by Anonymous Location: Greenville NC on Jan 12, 2012 at 06:48 AM
    I have been looking for work since the beginning of 2010. Still nothing!! I have applied for jobs online/in person but they all say they're not hiring/they're just taking applications. By the time they start hiring your application is too old. Most of them keep them for 30-60 days. So don't judge somebody when you don't know the whole story!!! Everyone is not just sitting on their butts doing nothing!!!!
      by Great on Jan 12, 2012 at 08:35 AM in reply to Anonymous
      I totally agree with you. There are so many people who abuse un-employment and that gets looked at the most. I do agree that sometimes people just need help. Thats ok. But working people need help to. I have no problem with money being giving to good use but most of it probably goes to Lottery ticket, beer and cigarettes instead of feeding and clothing their children. I sympathize with your situation and my comment was no directed to people like you who are actually trying.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137166473 - witn.com/a?a=137166473