UPDATE: Missionaries Return To US, Kept In Quarantine In Charlotte

CHARLOTTE (AP) - Three missionaries who worked with patients infected with the Ebola virus in Liberia have returned to the United States.

Health officials say the aid worker and two doctors are all healthy, but they will be kept in quarantine in Charlotte to make sure they do not have Ebola. The quarantine will last at least three weeks since the missionaries were last exposed to people infected with the virus.

David Writebol is one of the missionaries who returned by private charter plane late Sunday night. His wife, Nancy, remains in isolation in an Atlanta hospital after she was returned to the United States for treatment last week.

The missionaries are with Charlotte-based SIM USA and will be staying in a private section of the organization's 90-acre headquarters in south Charlotte.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


PREVIOUS STORY:

Health officials say missionaries returning to the United States after working with patients infected with Ebola will be put in quarantine and monitored.

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services says the quarantine will last at least three weeks since the missionaries were last exposed to people infected with the Ebola virus.

The missionaries are with Charlotte-based SIM USA. The aid group says none of them are sick or have shown any signs of having Ebola, but they agree with health officials that everyone should be as cautious as possible.

The aid group isn't releasing how many missionaries were in Liberia or when they will return to protect the privacy of their families.

SIM USA aid worker Nancy Writebol is in an Atlanta hospital after contracting Ebola.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Previous Story:

Nigeria's president is declaring a national state of emergency over the Ebola virus.

President Goodluck Jonathan said in a statement Friday that the relevant agencies must ensure that all possible steps are taken "to effectively contain the threat of the Ebola virus in line with international protocols and best practices."

Nigeria's health ministry says two patients in Africa's most populous nation have died of the disease, and there are seven other confirmed cases.

Jonathan also approved the release of 1.9 billion naira ($11.7 million) to contain the disease through an intervention plan. He also asked schools to consider extending the current school holiday until there is a national reassessment of the level of threat Ebola poses in Nigeria.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 270579341 - witn.com/a?a=270579341