NC To Get Millions For Early Childhood Education

The Associated Press has learned that nine states will share $500 million in grant money to improve their early childhood programs.

An administration official says the winners to be announced Friday at the White House are California, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island and Washington. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the winners had not been announced.

The competition is part of the Obama administration's cornerstone education initiative called "Race to the Top." It has states competing for federal education dollars in exchange for changes it favors. Last year, it handed out $4 billion in such grants focused on K-12 education.

The goal of the early learning competition was to get more children from birth to age 5 ready for kindergarten.

• by Tyee Location: Hyde County on Dec 25, 2011 at 12:44 AM
    People who have children should be responsible for them, not me. My pocket book is empty from all the taxes I have to pay. Had to pay for my children going to school, what is happening to our country?
      by Anon on Dec 28, 2011 at 08:15 AM in reply to Tyee
      I completely agree. I would be better able to provide for my children if I wasn't responsible for raising/providing for other people's kids.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 19, 2011 at 05:26 PM
    I agree that the majority of these programs are not working. My question is what are the realistic solutions other than better home-life, because that clearly isn't happening?
      by Tyee on Jan 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM in reply to
      One child has a college degree in art. Another has a degree in being a chief and was in a group of 100 best restaurants in the U.S. The last one is on her way toward being a lawyer. Any more comments??
  • by Perry Location: Kinston, NC on Dec 16, 2011 at 06:38 PM
    Get your facts straight. I am a provider for children in early childhood settings. These programs have proven that children being served in these settings are more advance learners as they prepare for thier elementary education. Surveys of More at FOur children has proven that Students who were served in the More at Four classroom have more success in school. These classes are for children with special needs and at risk 4 yr old child but stipulations have been implemented in our county that parents have to attend college or find a job for their children to attend these programs. Therefore, the more money we put into these programs we will continue to support children with better education qualifications that will lead to better success.
      by 7th grade teacher on Dec 16, 2011 at 08:25 PM in reply to Perry
      More advanced compared to who? And what does the research say about these children by the time they are in middle school. Have these children ever tracked and that data analyzed. Any benefit to these programs is offset in elementary school by the culture in which these children are raised and the lack of respect towards education that their parents show and that they, the students, view towards education. In the long run, this id just government money spent to make them feel like they can make a difference when in fact, the true and only difference maker start in the house with educated parents that stress education by their actions, not just words coming out of their mouths.
  • by john Location: farmville on Dec 16, 2011 at 05:29 PM
    well said 7th grade teacher and may i also add long haired nfl player
  • by 7th grade teacher Location: greenville on Dec 16, 2011 at 04:31 PM
    Early childhood education does not work. Any benefits, if there are any, are gone by the time the kid gets to middle school, has failed once or twice, reads on the third grade level, can't add a coloumn of numbers, and thinks that they are going to be an NBA star or a rappper.
  • by john Location: farmville on Dec 16, 2011 at 03:57 PM
    ok bev perdue, when you get the money make good on your ecu promises. i feel sorry for the children it was intended for.
  • by Juan Valdez(sarcasm) on Dec 16, 2011 at 01:55 PM
    Gracias, thank you America for being soo nice to us!
  • by Read The Article Location: Eastern NC on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    This is talking about Pre-K children, not EC children. Pre-K is children from 0-5, not school age children. Get your facts right before you start complaining.
      by WOW! on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:59 AM in reply to Read The Article
      Listen - these children eventually filter into the EC programs (mislabeled). I read the article - I'm just trying to see this from a bigger perspective... I got off topic out of frustration with a system that is broken... Why must I pay $650/month to send my child to daycare and (with my taxes) pay for a rodent (not the special cases as noted below) whose mother had him out of wedlock for the direct purpose of milking the system. This is a waste of my money and it's sickening...
      by Anon on Dec 16, 2011 at 12:26 PM in reply to Read The Article
      Just for the record, Pre-K students are in the 3-5 year age range (depending on when their birthday falls). Children less than 3 years old are provided services through Early Intervention (EI) which is a separate program. Pre-K falls under IDEA government regulations and is under the jurisdiction of public schools. EI is governed by IDEA as well but is not overseen by the public school system. Instead, they are overseen by CDSA. Oh, and every child who is identified as having a disability qualifies for the state's Pre-K program. However, they can be identified as "at-risk" to be admitted to the program as well.
  • by to anon on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    I disagree with your comment, because family that have children with special needs are not lazy. So think about what you said because u reap what u sow. Got grandchildren
      by Anon on Dec 16, 2011 at 02:52 PM in reply to to anon
      Could you please clarify to which individual you are responding to?
  • by parent on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    I met the income requirements to send my child there while I went to work. To my surprise almost all the children were kids of illegal aliens.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135722628 - witn.com/a?a=135722628