Teacher On Leave After Report Of Assault

A teacher in western North Carolina is on paid administrative leave after parents complained she tied an elementary student to a chair, put tape over his mouth and slapped him.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reported Tuesday that Clay County Schools have completed an internal investigation into the allegation at Hayesville Elementary.

Schools Superintendent Scott Penland is expected to decide whether further personnel action is taken against the teacher. The Citizen-Times did not disclose the teacher's name, pending his decision.

The newspaper reported the incident was witnessed by other students in the class, who told parents. It was not immediately clear whether school officials have been in contact with the parents of the boy who was allegedly assaulted.

No criminal charges have been filed.

• by Staci Location: NC on Nov 4, 2011 at 05:26 AM
    This is so sad. School is suppose to be a safe place for our children. A place they want to go (at least at the age of 6) to learn, see their friends and for kids that young school is usually fun. To know every child in that class didn't feel that way in the mornings or throughout the day, because of what this teacher did, is heartbreaking. There is absolutely nothing a child could do that deserved this type of punishment.
  • by Donna on Nov 3, 2011 at 04:39 AM
    My youngest sister had kidney & bladder issues when she was younger & was on medication for the problems. So my mother always made it a point to talk with her teachers each year to ensure that they were aware she had to go potty often & could not wait. When she was in the 2nd grade, she had a mean teacher. The teacher just flat out picked on her by not letting her go to the restroom when she asked. To the point that my sister would wet herself. The teacher made her wash her panties & hang them on a tree on the playground to dry so that all of the other students could see them. Then she would put my sister in the trashcan & make her stay there until her panties were dry. My sister was so scared of the teacher that she would not tell our parents. I was the 1 that found out & told them. My mother went balistic to say the least. The teacher was fired after an investigation. She actually admitted to what she had done. My sister still carries emotional scars from this & she is now an adult. So to anyone out there who "just doesn't believe a teacher would do something like this" try again. You need to open your eyes & actually see what is right there in front of you. It does happen.
      by another real teacher on Nov 3, 2011 at 05:55 AM in reply to Donna
      Donna, so sorry about the way your sister was treated. That woman was not a teacher, she was a sadist. Real teachers hate working with people like that-they give all of us a bad name. I cannot imagine being so heartless, especially after the parent had taken the time to inform me of medical issues. Glad she lost her job!!
        by Donna on Nov 3, 2011 at 07:56 AM in reply to another real teacher
        I can still picture that hateful woman & while I have never forgotten it, I know my sister hasn't. I think I was in the 6th grade the day I saw this with my own 2 eyes. And just as soon as I got off the bus, I ran to our mom crying & telling her what I saw. My sister has always been the "runt" of the bunch & she looked even smaller that day. She was so terrified when my mom loaded us all up in the car & went to the school to confront that devil.It's so sad that my sister still carries the scars from this. To this day, she still feels threatened by teachers & feels that most of them are bad. However, I feel that a "bad" teacher is an exception & not the rule. Thank god for that.
  • by A Real Teacher Location: Beaufort County on Nov 2, 2011 at 04:27 PM
    As a real live, living and breathing high school teacher, I have to say that this is clearly abuse. This is not a teacher being pushed over the edge, or being assaulted by a student. This is a teacher making the decision to tie a student up, gag him, and hit him. How can this ever be right? Even the most horrible student IS STILL A PERSON. A real human being. You don't lose your humanity because of rude, amoral, or bad behavior - you are still a person. I have been yelled at, cussed at, pranked, etc. I would never hurt one of my students - because THEY ARE PEOPLE. The woman is a criminal, an abuser.
      by Anonymous on Nov 2, 2011 at 05:06 PM in reply to A Real Teacher
      Well said Real Teacher.
      by another real teacher on Nov 2, 2011 at 07:31 PM in reply to A Real Teacher
      A Real Teacher is exactly right. These people that are "teachers" yet don't even like children make it difficult for the rest of us! I always want to ask, "WHAT were you thinking?" It is part of my job to model the type of behavior that I expect from my students. I am the adult in my classroom and no matter how badly a student behaves I refuse to sink to the worst possible level. I cannot imagine hurting a child. Go by the rules, follow procedures, read the instructions and the majority of the time the students will too. Didn't we all hate the "do as I say, not as I do" adults in our lives?
        by Donna on Nov 3, 2011 at 04:40 AM in reply to another real teacher
        Very well put. Thank you!
  • by Good Location: Washington on Nov 2, 2011 at 04:04 PM
    The problem is with the parents! That's what is wrong with the school system today. It's not the teachers. You can't teach a class if you have a bunch of unruly children. I remember my teacher told our parents that it was her job to teach reading, writing and arithmatic. It was their job to teach their child how to behave in school. Kids have no respect today! I see it everywhere I go! I see young kids walking to Wal-Mart without their parents or walking up and down the street unsupervised. Parents need to be parents and not their child's buddy! This is the result of kids having kids. Grandma's raising grandkids! Mom is at the club and Dad is in jail.
      by What? on Nov 2, 2011 at 06:40 PM in reply to Good
      After reading your comment I had to go and read the story again. I didn't read anything about this being a "disrespectful problem child". I did read that the teacher did tie up, tape up, and slapped the child in front of other students. Please don't get it twisted! The teacher was WRONG...there is NO justification for what she did to this child. I just hope her name is released and she doesn't get hired by any school system in this country!
        by Clay County Parent on Nov 3, 2011 at 09:34 AM in reply to What?
        As the parent of a child that witnessed this, I will say that my child did tell me that the little boy does get into trouble a lot. But we are talking about a 6 year old, I don't care what he did, it doesn't justify tieing him up. I am extremely upset that the teacher chose to tell my child and the rest of the class that "this is their little secret and they are not to tell anyone" Right there shows she knew what she did was wrong. All the children say they like the teacher, I have never heard anything bad about her. But she obviousely doesn't need to be teaching the younger children if she can not handle them. It is the parents responsibility to teach their children to be respectful and mind their manners. It is not the childs fault, I have heard "rumors" so I don't know how much truth there is to them but some say the little boy has on going issues. My child was very distrubted by the whole thing.
          by Donna on Nov 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM in reply to Clay County Parent
          Clay County Parent I totally agree with you on this one.
      by Staci on Nov 4, 2011 at 05:28 AM in reply to Good
      Your comment is nothing but pure ignorance.
  • by To all the teacher's supporters on Nov 2, 2011 at 03:27 PM
    If your child disrescpect me in public can I come to your houses and tie your kid up, tape his mouth, and slap him? Or should I tell you and let you handle it? I say the second answer is the best. I am not going to jail for hitting someone elses kid because he said a bad word to me. I don't care if they are a teenager. I know some disrespectful grown-ups I could punch, but I am not doing to that either. Some teachers are mean anyway. Low paying people with a gripe.
      by Jim on Nov 2, 2011 at 05:46 PM in reply to To all the teacher's supporters
      WHAT ???
        by Anonymous on Nov 2, 2011 at 07:05 PM in reply to Jim
        I said can I come to your house and tie your kid up, tape his mouth, or slap him if he disrespect me in public or should I tell you?
  • by Vicky M on Nov 2, 2011 at 01:32 PM
    What some of you may not understand is the fact that most of these unruly children are already being abused at home. Teachers are only escalating the situation further by abusing them at school. The acts in which this teacher inflicted on this child and demonstrated to others watching are inhumane. I can only imagine the horror that these students felt as this took place in what should have been a safe environment for our youth. Lets not forget the golden rule people! I'm sure that most of you would prefer not to be tied up, have your mouths taped shut, then be slapped in the face. Or would you???
      by wow on Nov 2, 2011 at 06:01 PM in reply to Vicky M
      that teachers lucky my kid wasnt the victim. this scares me that someone like this could be allowed into a classroom where my children may attend.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    I miss the days when teachers could spank students when necessary. I'm in my early 40s, but boy do I recall those times! We should never have gotten away from that. However, if the allegations in this case are true, that was a bit excessive.
      by Eastern NC on Nov 2, 2011 at 01:09 PM in reply to
      We didn't have as many little bullies at school either when they could expect to be paddled if they got out of hand.
        by Anonymous on Nov 2, 2011 at 03:18 PM in reply to Eastern NC
        Sorry but you are lying. I am 39 year old and was bullied at school everyday. So only speak what you know.
          by Max on Nov 2, 2011 at 05:47 PM in reply to
          Sissy !
          by Me :) on Nov 2, 2011 at 06:45 PM in reply to
          Eastern NC said "We didn't have as MANY....." He/She did not say "We didn't have ANY...."
  • by Respect on Nov 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    Sometimes a teacher needs to have respect. And sometimes they have to go to extremes to get it. This MIGHT have been one of those times. I don't agree with slapping the child's face, but a ruler on the palm might be in order. Punishment is the only thing some children understand. The only way to get through to them.
      by Be Real on Nov 2, 2011 at 04:05 PM in reply to Respect
      A teacher should be respected at all times and should never have to go to an extreme to get respect. Children/students should be disciplined not punished.
      by have some respect on Nov 2, 2011 at 06:02 PM in reply to Respect
      i dont care how much respect a teacher needs, i will show her the meaning of the word if she ever touches my kid like that! there are OTHER ways besides abuse to punish children. my children escalate when they are spanked, so no, it isnt the best thing to use.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    It is clear this teacher should not be teaching at all. They have no thinking skills in a stressful time. It's time to retire. I would come to that school with the Sheriff department with me, and not leave until that teacher was tied up in the back of his car.
  • by Only if... on Nov 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    the parents are even around Harry. I like your way of thinking.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133058438 - witn.com/a?a=133058438