State School Board To Vote On Longer School Year

The academic year for North Carolina's public school students is set to get five days longer next year.

Members of the state Board of Education said Wednesday a new state law taking away teacher training time and replacing it with five more classroom days should take effect with the new school year in August.

The state school board is scheduled to vote Thursday on a recommendation to reject all requests to delay expanding the current 180-day year to 185.

Legislators saw the law as improving standardized test scores while preserving a state-mandated 10-week summer vacation.

The extended school calendar has generated complaints from school districts statewide, which despite state spending cuts will have to pay for five extra days of school bus fuel, classroom heat and electricity, and other costs.

• by Ginger last time on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    I attend school full time and work full time!!!!!!
  • by Its ginger again on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    Yea but what ur kid has learned now is not what I learned back when I was in school. And fyi I dnt have kids!!! and as far as me learning I am and will continue!!! Thats all that matters to me.
  • by Concerned Location: Williamston on Dec 1, 2011 at 03:54 PM
    Well said Whazzup!
  • by Billy on Dec 1, 2011 at 02:32 PM
    Which is worse? An citizen that steals money from entitlement programs so we have to pay for them & their children's med, school, home, and food. Or an immigrant that will work to pay for their own food and housing. I do agree we should not carry the burden for anyone that will not pay taxes or sits on the couch and robs the rest of us. Entitlements = legal robbery. In my plan! You should have to trade community service to get entitlements. Another plan will be called T.I.C.T. This is an agreement to TRADE IMMIGRANTS for COUCH TATERS. Aren’t you ticked enough to change the system?
  • by Whazzup? Location: Ayden on Dec 1, 2011 at 01:38 PM
    America's public schools can be traced to the year 1640. The Massachusetts Puritans established schools to; 1) teach basic reading, writing, and arithmetic skills; 2) cultivate values that serve a democratic society. Now, compare that concept to what has transpired through the years, espcecially the 20th century; nutrition, immunization health, vocational education, practical arts, business education, half day kindergarten, career/peace/leisure/recreation education, special education, etc. Whenever the do-gooders want to cure something in society, they place the burden on the schools. They expect the teachers to be psychologists. The schools CANNOT do this alone. In every study, the best indication of a student's success is parental expectation and involvement. The length of the school day/year has minimal effect. Bring back standards, and enforce them. If Johnny/Jane is unable to read at a certain grade level, retain them until they can. It was applied to generations prior to the 1960's, and look what they accomplished.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Dec 1, 2011 at 03:46 PM in reply to Whazzup?
      Agree.
  • by Immigrants on Dec 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    Why do all our children have to suffer because illegal immigrants send there kids to kids for free???
  • by Gail Cargile Location: Robersonville on Dec 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    Doesn't the state think teacher prep time and training are needed? It doesn't matter how many days students go to school if the quality of teaching is not valued and emphasized, as well.
  • by edna Location: pinetown on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    Why? With all the state budget cuts, this makes no sense. Going to school longer will had all kinds of extra expenses..gas for buses, electricty and water for schools, etc. Makes no sense at all.
  • by Bob 2 Location: ENC on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    it's statements like the ones made by "parent and Parent2" that prove 5 more days of school are too long- meaning "YOU JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID"
  • by kmc Location: Carteret County on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    Teachers have not had a pay increase of any kind for 4 years. Our young teachers are getting out of the profession because they cannot live on the paltry NC Teacher's Salary. The extra days for students will be teacher workdays taken from teachers supposedly used for planning and staff development. Both of these are requirements for good teachers. Teachers are being bombarded daily with additional requirements by the state to the point that they have no personal lives at all.....every waking minute is devoted to NC Schools.I don't think the general public is aware of how dire this situation has become. I can't imagine why any young person would want to go into public education as it is today and where it is headed! We are not educating. We are covering our 6 o'clocks and babysitting!!Good teachers and our children are all being cheated!
      by t on Dec 2, 2011 at 08:44 AM in reply to kmc
      I'm a young teacher, loved my education classes and loved my internship at a good school in Raleigh. I have been teaching for a few years and have decent EOC scores, but I hate what I do now. My administration is not supportive, and I have no life outside of school. Most of my friends with Master's degrees make $10,000-$30,000 more than I do right now. I am searching for another career....

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134815763 - witn.com/a?a=134815763