NC Stores Fined For Overcharging Customers

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- North Carolina officials say they've collected more than $35,000 in fines from 11 stores across the state that have been persistently ringing up the wrong price on products.

The state Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said Wednesday the stores are located in Charlotte, Raleigh, Elkin, Garner, Micro, Salisbury, Selma and Wilkesboro.

The agency's Standards Division conducts periodic inspections of price-scanner systems to make sure there's not a gap between advertised prices and what customers pay at the register.

If a store has an error rate of over 2 percent on overcharges, the agency conducts a more thorough investigation and might hand out civil penalties. One of the stores had an error rate of 38 percent in an initial inspection.

Fines ranged from around $1,000 to over $7,300.

• by Shine Location: NE NC on Nov 22, 2011 at 04:22 AM
    I see the other post that list the stores according to NCDA Standards Div. If they are attempting to overcome charges that banks and credit card companies charge........ There is a such thing in law - more in products liability - called "Failure to Warn". If they are going to charge extra - then it should be posted to the public. We need to find ALL of these stores, because I feel like these are not the only culprits........ Then BOYCOTT the stores and not buy from them any longer. A class action law suit should be involved here.
  • by jerry Location: ahoskie nc on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    what about the light bill companies,roanoke electric for starters. Ahoskie nc.
  • by Val on Nov 18, 2011 at 07:22 AM
    Look at the menu price at Abrams in Greenville and the register price. If you do not say anything they are going to charge you the register price. The have not changed the menu prices.
  • by Greenvill Resident on Nov 17, 2011 at 04:29 PM
    Kmart in greenville always have there prices mixed up too.......that's why i like to watch them as they scan my items. I guess they are trying to get extra money for the OVERDUE REMODEL store. Its so old feeling and needs a upgrade immediately!!!
  • by Dawg on Nov 17, 2011 at 03:50 PM
    For all of you that want to complain you have been over charged. Do something about it or stop complaining. Contact: Stephen Benjamin, director NCDA&CS Standards Division 919-733-3313
  • by Helen Location: Greenville on Nov 17, 2011 at 02:16 PM
    Why are we having to guess what stores are involved, WITN?
  • by Sharon Location: Washington on Nov 17, 2011 at 01:20 PM
    Belk store in Greenville would top all others. I almost never get the sale price when at the register. this has happen to me year after year. especially during Christmas sales.
  • by Hello Location: Greenville on Nov 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    I don't think that these large retailers are willing to charge a few extra cents to a few customers on purpose and risk these fines and public outcry. The fact is...the stores have not changed their shelf labels to match the current scanning price. This is a reflection on the employee that is responisible for changing the shelf labels, the store leadership for not following up behind sorry workers, and the corporate office for not folling up behind poor leadership. I understand that it should be right at all times...but, they are not trying to steal from you on purpose. Have you ever worked in Retail? Have you ever had to change the number of labels that Walmart, etc. have to change daily? Jus saying...
  • by Former Customer Location: Washington on Nov 17, 2011 at 07:51 AM
    Walgreens in Washington would top the list if investigated. I know several people (myself included) who have been hit with a price at the register that was waaaay off from the isle price.
      by D on Nov 17, 2011 at 02:19 PM in reply to Former Customer
      How ironic. I was there last night to purchase shampoo,razors,etc. Of course, they only had one line open and 10 people waiting. Being in a hurry, I paid for these items. Luckily, I happened to look at my receipt, and I was charged $15 for shampoo. Went back inside and spoke with the clerk and he told me Suave shampoo was $15. After I pretty much told him he was a moron, the manager came over. I explained the situation and I was refunded my money. Walgreens in Washington is terrible, and the store was nasty. Like you, I am now a former customer.
        by Anonymous on Nov 17, 2011 at 03:46 PM in reply to D
        Suave shampoo $15, they even sell that at the dollar tree. Any one who really believes it is $15 is a moron.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Nov 17, 2011 at 07:05 AM
    You mean Micro actually is big enough to have a store? Last of what I heard that was like a little crossroads near a I-95 exit.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134008843 - witn.com/a?a=134008843