N.C. Native Found Living Locked In Pennsylvania Basement

A North Carolina man is one of four mentally disabled adults rescued from horrific conditions, found living locked in a basement.

Derwin McLemire, 41, is originally from North Carolina. He and three others were rescued this weekend from a crawl space in a Philadelphia apartment building.

The victims say they were manipulated by Linda Weston, who, they claim, took their social security information to collect their government checks.

McLemire says he met Weston last year through an online dating website. He says it was not long before he realized she did not care about him.

"I escaped on time to one of the houses we used to live in of hers and I didn't get away so they got me," McLemire said.

Police say Weston was convicted of murder in a 1981 starvation death. She and two other face charges including aggravated assault, kidnapping and false imprisonment.

• by cottonmouth on Oct 18, 2011 at 08:22 AM
    What on earth is she doing out when she was convicted of murder in 1981?
      by uh on Oct 19, 2011 at 09:44 AM in reply to cottonmouth
      Mandatory minimum sentencing for drug-related offenses mean that murderers and violent criminals have to be moved out of the system to house all the drug dealers (because getting high is more dangerous than murder, right?)
  • by Alicia Tunby Location: New Bern on Oct 18, 2011 at 07:29 AM
    Make them work to pay these people back in full with interest first then pull the switch!
  • by Delores on Oct 18, 2011 at 07:29 AM
    I am so glad they were found. My heart goes out to the victims. I hope these people will receive the maximum penalty the law has to offer. I agree this is a prime example why people need to be careful meeting people online.
  • by Disgusted Location: Eastern NC on Oct 18, 2011 at 06:52 AM
    What in the world was she doing out of prison in the first place if she had been convicted of murder in 1981??? This country's system is the biggest joke! Starve her to death!!!!!
  • by mjrenn Location: nj on Oct 18, 2011 at 06:37 AM
    Sorry I should mention that the information I have was taken from a more recent article (not this one) so sorry for the confusion.....Knowles was one of the four held hostage in the basement and not mentioned in this article.
  • by mjrenn Location: NJ on Oct 18, 2011 at 06:35 AM
    Sick.... But here is something to think about. Mr. Knowles was missing for three years. He was last known to have moved in with a girlfriend and her mother....the mother was convicted of murder in 1981 (similar circumstances...this time the guy died in the locked room) This evil Weston lady lived in the apartment building. So, was there ever a search for Mr. Knowles? three years missing and known to live with a convicted murderer? If 1/100th of the effort was given to finding him as with the missing Missouri baby (national guard, media, etc.)he should have been easy to find. So the question is was he ever reported missing? If so than we as a society (Law enforcement, media) don't value life equally. I know the Missiouri baby situation is tragic and frightening but Mr. Knowles had family and people who loved him too. Only did this get attention when the graphic and sensational nature was revealed. I would like to hear more about when he initially went missing.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Oct 18, 2011 at 05:56 AM
    This time there's a good ending. Often, there is not. Another prime example of why NOT to meet people online. I know some people who found this out the hard way also, though not as severe an outcome as this one.
      by K on Oct 18, 2011 at 07:08 AM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      I don't think meeting people online has anything to do with it. A manipulative person like this one will look anywhere for a victim to abuse and take advantage of. Of course you need to be careful when meeting anyone new and take the necessary precautions (meet in a public place, let other people know where you are going to be, etc). All I'm saying is you can meet someone like this anywhere, not just online. I'm just glad they caught the scumbags and that the victims were found alive. Like you said, this time there's a good ending, though often times there isn't.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 18, 2011 at 05:06 AM
    Death Penalty. Her first and then her two cronies.
      by CritterLover on Oct 18, 2011 at 05:42 AM in reply to
      Second that motion!
        by REM on Oct 19, 2011 at 07:38 AM in reply to CritterLover
        Third
  • by Think about it on Oct 18, 2011 at 05:03 AM
    If she had received the death penalty for the murder, these people would not have suffered at her hands!
      by cottonmouth on Oct 18, 2011 at 08:23 AM in reply to Think about it
      Right on!
      by REM on Oct 19, 2011 at 07:38 AM in reply to Think about it
      Yep!
  • by Jill on Oct 18, 2011 at 04:40 AM
    Just when you think you have heard it all... Who ever this person is she needs to be locked up and given just enough food to hurt!! Make her suffer the way she has made others suffer... An eye for an eye. What a sick person. I will certainly pray for the victoms. So happy they were found alive

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132035708 - witn.com/a?a=132035708