NC House Group To Look At Jobless Benefit Fraud

The North Carolina House is forming a task force to see what it can do to discourage people from attempting to bilk the state unemployment insurance system of benefits.

House Speaker Thom Tillis announced Tuesday the creation of the panel that's being asked to offer recommendations to the full General Assembly before it reconvenes for the budget-adjusting session in mid-May.

The group will examine whether unemployment fraud penalties are similar to those for other acts of fraud and how to make workforce training and job placement a key mission of the recently revamped state Division of Unemployment Security.

Lawmakers already are looking for a way to pay back $2.6 billion the state owes the federal government for paying unemployment benefits when state unemployment insurance funds ran out.

• by Anonymous on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    How about if you test positive for random drug testing, you don't qualify anymore. That would cut out over half of the NC unemployed.
      by REM on Feb 29, 2012 at 02:48 PM in reply to
      I would GLADLY fund those tests!
  • by REM Location: ENC on Feb 29, 2012 at 09:16 AM
    Personal responsibility is dead in this country. What are the incentives to work a job these days? Zero. All you have to do is get one little job, quit, then file for every welfare check under the sun. Want more welfare money? Make lots of babies! When you allow someone else to be fed permanently by your income, then you will NEVER and I repeat NEVER get them to turn into a functional part of society. Those who still believe in morals, you better get your ducks in a row. The storm is yet to come.
      by Disgusted on Feb 29, 2012 at 01:45 PM in reply to REM
      REM......you definitely know what is going on. I work for a living but I am getting sick and tired of paying for people to stay home and make babies and do drugs......and get food stamps. It needs to STOP PERIOD! Welfare is something that needs to go to drug-free people that are LOOKING for and TRYING to find a JOB!
        by Deadwood on Feb 29, 2012 at 02:42 PM in reply to Disgusted
        Have been on welfare for almost 40 years and proud of the fact. If wall street corporations can qualify for corporate welfare, then there is nothing wrong with me accepting a free handout.
          by REM on Mar 1, 2012 at 04:40 AM in reply to Deadwood
          "Have been on welfare for almost 40 years and proud of the fact" -- On behalf of every taxpayer, you are NOT welcome for your free ride. Two wrongs don't make a right, and you will eventually reap what you sow. It is a crying shame that people like you can sleep at night knowing that you steal from hungry children, and the disabled/elderly. You are subhuman slime that leeches off of the hard work of others. Your day will come real soon when you have no food to eat, and no means to grow any... good luck.
        by REM on Feb 29, 2012 at 02:47 PM in reply to Disgusted
        Nothing makes me feel better than being able to help people that are truly down and out; but I absolutely abhor the idea that the government (fed, state, and local) take money from my family and give it to those who cheat the system. I worked at a grocery store in my early years, and I saw first-hand how bad it is. In fact, in one day I loaded $450 worth of "free" groceries into a brand new vehicle (current year model). They also bought two cartons of cigarettes, and 3 cases of beer (with a wad of cash mind you). Now, later that day, an elderly couple came up with canned food, milk, and bread. They had $15 PER MONTH on their EBT card. Need I say more? This nation is absolutely backwards now.
  • by Chet on Feb 29, 2012 at 08:01 AM
    Easy fix....stop the local ESC office employees from telling people how to cheat the system. Maybe if we had some reporters who wanted to dig a little deeper instead of just reporting what is spoon fed....it is not like it is a secret.
  • by Uncle Sam Location: U.S.A. on Feb 29, 2012 at 06:47 AM
    I think they need to look in the mirror if they want to find someone who is bilking the state out of money.I seem to remember they just past a bill to up there retirement.This is a part time job,who else working a part time job expects any retirement compensation.Only in government can this happen.Of the people,by the people,for the people?
      by Anonymous on Feb 29, 2012 at 03:10 PM in reply to Uncle Sam
      They are "Robbin' Hoods"
  • by country mouse Location: pinetown on Feb 29, 2012 at 06:40 AM
    My sister is human resources manager for a large company and their policy is that they will not consider hiring anyone currently unemployed. I must say I'm pretty torn on their policy but they say that if someone is unemployed and overqualified then they will just be looking for a better job so they don't want to invest in someone that doesn't consider it to be his/her dream job. Makes it pretty tough to get a new job once you become unemployed. I'm fine with verifying that people on unemployment are actively searching for a job....at least that will create some new jobs for the "verifiers."
  • by Ralph Location: NC on Feb 29, 2012 at 06:33 AM
    As a business owner, I pay unemployment tax to the state. If the state does not have to money to pay unemployment benefits its their own fault. They spent monies that businesses sent in on other things and thats not fair to the business that sent in the funds. I agree that their are a lot of lazy people taking advantage of the unemployment system and that needs to stop. But NC borrowed money to pay unemployment benefits is wrong, NC needs to learn to take manage their money better. I bet none of the law makers, governor, etc. has not took a pay cut in the past few years.
  • by businessman on Feb 29, 2012 at 05:56 AM
    The ESC won't say no to anybody who files for unemployment. I know of two individuals fired for cause from different businesses -- one for being openly rude to customers, and one indicted for embezzling funds -- and the ESC awarded both unemployment benefits over the protest of the employer.
      by Anonymous on Feb 29, 2012 at 09:34 AM in reply to businessman
      You are correct. I personally know of two people fired after having an accident on the job and then failed the post accident drug test. They were also awarded unemployment even though the employer tried to stop it.
      by Dar on Feb 29, 2012 at 02:29 PM in reply to businessman
      Sorry to say but the part about the employee embezzling receiving unemployment benefits funds does not sound right at all. There is more to the story or someone failed to file an appeal properly. I have been thru this numerous times with some of my clients & all benefits were denied to former employees because of mis-conduct which is a point where benefits are totally denied.
  • by BEACHBUM3 on Feb 29, 2012 at 05:32 AM
    THE FIRST THING THAT THESE HOUSE REPUBLICAN NEED TO DO IS TO PUT A STOP TO THE FRAUD AN WASTE AN ABUSIVE PRACTICES THAT ARE OCCURING WITHIN THE NCDOT AN OTHER VARIUOS AGAENCY THAT ARE ALLOWING FOR UNJUSTIFIABLE AN WRONG PAYMENT TO BE MADE TO CONTRACTING ENITY ACORSS THIS STATE AN NOT HAVEING ANYTHING OR ACTIONS TAKEN AGAINST ANYONE TO PUT A STOP TO THIS FRAUD AGAINST THE TAXPAYERS OF THIS STATE ONCE AN FOR ALL THANK YOU
  • by Ben Location: Kinston on Feb 29, 2012 at 05:16 AM
    The task force should also investigate welfare and food stamp fraud and just like unemployment benefits there should be a time limit on these programs and the time limit should not be extended due to "child care issues".
  • by D Location: ENC on Feb 29, 2012 at 05:01 AM
    Fraud in the government? I didn't realize there was fraud in the government.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140840783 - witn.com/a?a=140840783