NC Family Reunited With Dogs Lost In Tornado

Members of a Fayetteville family who lost their home to a tornado are calling themselves lucky after being reunited with a pair of pooches thought lost in the storm.

The Alfonso family was on vacation when their home was destroyed. A relative who was housesitting saw their two dogs, Prince and Raider, carried away by a funnel cloud.

Prince soon turned up at the Cumberland County Animal Shelter, but the family believed Raider was gone for good.

A week after the storm, Fayetteville police noticed a German shepherd who kept returning to the location where the Alfonsos' house had stood. Members of the family came out to check, and were reunited with their dog.

Meagan Alfonso says the house can be replaced, but the dogs are part of the family.

• by Anonymous on Apr 29, 2011 at 01:16 AM
    I hate how dogs get old so fast. I will not watch Marley and me. I have 5 dogs from a new puppy to two 10 year olds. DOGS ARE GREAT.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Apr 28, 2011 at 07:08 AM
    I hate it for that family that they lost their house, but they picked the best time to be on vacation. After all the vacation may have helped save their lives. Pets are what keeps families together. They are part of the family. As an owner of 2 dogs I'm glad they got their dogs back. I could'nt ever imagine losing a dog of mine in a natual diasater such as this.
  • by summer Location: bath on Apr 28, 2011 at 06:03 AM
    So happy for everyone, pets are our family too,we love them just as much :)
      by Nisey on Apr 28, 2011 at 07:05 AM in reply to summer
      My thoughts exactly! It is so nice to read something positive for a change!
  • by debra on Apr 28, 2011 at 06:03 AM
    AWESOME ! So good to hear great news :)
  • by Concerned Citizen Location: Greenville on Apr 28, 2011 at 05:57 AM
    With all of the sad stories all around the world, thank you for publishing one with a happy ending!
  • by ME on Apr 28, 2011 at 05:33 AM
    What a happy ending to a terrible circumstance. I agree with kathry, pets are family.......
  • by Frances on Apr 28, 2011 at 05:31 AM
    What a wonderful story. It is so good to see good news these days. Thank you WITN for reporting this.
  • by kathryn Location: gatesville on Apr 28, 2011 at 05:13 AM
    This is great news. Pets are beloved members of the family and I am glad both are safe and back with theirs.
  • by Anonymous Location: Florida on Apr 28, 2011 at 05:06 AM
    Amen to the last sentence!!!
  • by m bland Location: williamston on Apr 28, 2011 at 04:50 AM
    wonderful story

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120847434 - witn.com/a?a=120847434