NC Booze It And Lose It Campaign Starts Saturday

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Police across North Carolina are launching a month-long effort to make the roads safer during the holiday season.

State Secretary of Transportation Gene Conti says the annual "Booze It and Lose It" campaign will begin Saturday. State and local police will launch stepped-up patrols and checkpoints through Jan. 2.

The goal is to keep drunken drivers off the road, as well as watch for other safety risks.

In December of 2010, there were more than 1,000 alcohol-related crashes in North Carolina, resulting in 31 fatalities and over 700 injuries.

During the ramped-up enforcement effort by police last December, more than 3,800 drivers were charged with driving while impaired.

• by Illegals on Dec 5, 2011 at 08:52 AM
    Illegal Mexicans should also be deported!!!
  • by Junior on Dec 4, 2011 at 04:27 PM
    Dang nabit I am so mad that there lawman has the nerve to pull my 4x4 over when they shuld be stoppin dem gangs in Greenville I have a full day o dog huntin and it gets stressful runnin dem dogs on people's private propertay so I crack a few ice cold coors like a real man should. So I got no other way to get back to my double wide and watch dat NASCAR so I gots to drive back. So I'm drivin back and the lawman pulls me over and says I be swervin all around and I wuz like c'mon me and my family benn here over 20 years and y'all got da nerve to pull me over I'm a free americn citisen I shuld be able to do wat I want now I got two go into court for a DUI and mouthin off to a cop I swere why can't us ENC Fulk get a brake I mean c'mon
  • by Anonymous on Dec 4, 2011 at 03:52 PM
    Most people will be fine if they limit themselves to one drink with food before driving. Anymore and it is a gamble you don't want to lose.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 4, 2011 at 01:54 PM
    Did anyone notice another gang killing last night in Greenville? I wonder if our law enforcement were too busy with DUI checkpoints to patrol high gang activity areas?
      by Greenville Resident on Dec 5, 2011 at 08:03 AM in reply to
      I dont think the student living appartment complexes would be considered "high gang activity areas" which is where this last shooting and the one before it like last week took place. I rarely see really sketch looking people walking around these appartments but I do agree that they could be focusing on more important gang related crimes instead of numerous checkpoints using most of the force.
  • by NC Resident Location: ENC on Dec 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    I think the point was missed, of course this is not about another state, so why is it ok for someone in another state to comment and name call the residents of my state.
  • by NC Resident Location: ENC on Dec 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM
  • by NC Resident Location: ENC on Dec 4, 2011 at 06:18 AM
    In response to Kayhill, in Louisiana, let me give you some statistics on the state of louisiana, did you know that for 21 consecutive years (1989-2009) Louisiana had the highest per capita murder rate of all the states in the U.S., 14.5 murders per 100,000 people, compared to the U.S. average of 6.9 murders per 100,000 maybe you should look at what's going on in your own back yard before concerning yourself with ours.
  • by pete Location: grifton on Dec 4, 2011 at 05:07 AM
    They just caught one in lenoir county it was his 9th time(they boose it and we loose it)wonder who pays his lawyer,judge,jury,jailer,cops,prison guards,warden ETC. almost forgot his probation officer. we do.
  • by olddog on Dec 4, 2011 at 02:04 AM
    Dui is a huge money racket for the state, lawers and insurance. If you are even charged you ncdl is suspendend. Then you insurance skyrockets even if you are not convicted. I was charged in my drive way. The trooper saw me and my brother in my drive way drinking beer and stopped down the street to watch and a soon as I got in the truck to get my cell phone out of the glove box nchp whips in charges me. Never started the truck. Went to court it was dismissed and still cost me seven grand. I asked the judge and the officer who was going to cover my expences and they said tough luck.
  • by Kayhill Location: LA on Dec 3, 2011 at 06:40 PM
    Why not all the other days of the year.It all about money for the redneck state of nc. Why dont you idiots focus on crimmal activitey that going on SUCH AS the lowest scum bag gang activity. These scum bags are into drugs and murder that apparently scarce the hell out of you leo. Don't get me wrong Idon't think people sure get behind the wheel of a veichle that is dwi but they arrest DWI victims and from what I understand they're class and treated like some one who has cmmitted a felony. If that the case why don't they make DWI'S a felony.. Because its a money thing.. It'sd that simple. The judges all all drunks...

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134947468 - witn.com/a?a=134947468