NC Agency Warns Storm Victims About Burning Debris

State officials are reminding homeowners and contractors that it is illegal to burn logs, branches and other debris resulting from tornadoes that ripped through North Carolina over the weekend.

Sheila Holman of the N.C. Division of Air Quality says while officials sympathize with the plight of those who suffered storm damage, they don't want people to create more problems by burning debris.

Homeowners can burn yard trimmings if allowed under local ordinances, there's no public pickup and it doesn't cause a public nuisance. Landowners may be allowed to burn vegetation to clear land or clean up storm debris, but they should check with the nearest division office. People seeking to burn also may need permits from the Division of Forest Resources.

• by Courtney Location: NC on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    Why is it illegal?
      by Anonymous on Apr 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM in reply to Courtney
      Because the government says so. They tell you everything but when to pee and how much. But I am sure they are working on a law for that.
        by anon on Apr 19, 2011 at 05:36 PM in reply to
        actually you are free to pee whenever you want. Preferably in a toilet, or bedpan, or behind a tree if you are camping. Use some common sense, oh wait sorry, that isn't prevelent here in the east. Um, ask a northerner how to think, it might do you good.
  • by Brian Location: NC on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    I agree with James. NC gov needs to Bug Off!
  • by ME on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    Shut up James---I agree, don't burn what you are not suppose to burn. I do not want to die of smoke inhalation. Some people will burn everything they can and that is dangerous to people who have lung problems. My neighbor burns all their kitchen trash, and also their kitchen floor, which is not wood by the way---and it stinks to high heaven. Its also dangerous to my family to inhale. Get a grip, go by the rules.
  • by 250 Location: Jax on Apr 19, 2011 at 08:18 AM
    Quite the attitude thar James I'm betting that you drive an SUV, and go out on the highway and drive posted speeds in snow and ice conditions; after the state troopers and DOT "ask" motorists to stay off the roads. People with your "attitude are the reason we need "shoot on sight" curfews during disasters. Try asking yourself, How many close calls with fires threatening homes do you think volunteer fire departments will respond to by Sunday evening?
      by James on Apr 19, 2011 at 03:07 PM in reply to 250
      250, ever heard of common sense or do you want the state holding your hand in everything that you do ? Get a life. When energy prices get so high that you want to switch back to buring wood in your fireplace and the state says you CAN'T... what then ? Do you think Bev Perdue will come to your house and keep you warm ? No.
        by jerry on Apr 19, 2011 at 04:37 PM in reply to James
        Exactly! JAMES FOR GOV.!!
  • by mary Location: snow hill on Apr 19, 2011 at 07:56 AM
    hey nc! get a grip...some on down to greene county and see what home grown nc boys with truck and chainsaws can do..leave us alone and let us take care of us...its' a little late to be concerned about our safety...just keep taking care of those who dont work and sit on their behinds all day collevint my hard earned tax dollars...we got this!
      by Old McDonald on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM in reply to mary
      What's up with all taxpayer aid to Greene County farmers? Greene ranks #18 in the state for farm subsidy handouts from U.S. That's a lot of dough for such a small county. If you folks in Greene county can take care of yourselves, how about return the $80,000,000 you rake in every year from the U.S taxpayers.
  • by James Location: New Bern on Apr 19, 2011 at 07:16 AM
    North Carolina... sc**w you ! Next you'll be telling me I can't heat my home with wood off my farm. Enough is enough. Stay out of my life ! Spend your time supporting all your indentured servants, I don't need you.
      by Anonymous on Apr 19, 2011 at 07:59 AM in reply to James
      That's right man... who cares if I breathe toxic fumes from scattered debris from homes! Who cares if I pollute my neighbor's lungs with it too, man! The man is just trying to keep me down! Good grief dude... relax. Figure out why this is important. If you don't need North Carolina, get out.
        by James on Apr 19, 2011 at 03:04 PM in reply to
        If you don't like smoke coming from my land, you move. When I clear land I will BURN all the wood I want and when or if I clean up after a storm, I'll also burn whatever I want. You people keep giving up your rights if you want... I will not.
      by Native on Apr 19, 2011 at 09:11 AM in reply to James
      Amen James! It's ok to go crank your car and let it idle for an hour but you cant burn. What a crock!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120192264 - witn.com/a?a=120192264