Hagan Says She Opposes May Ballot Amendment

U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan is against a proposed constitutional amendment that would prohibit gay marriage in North Carolina because she says it would harm the state's ability to recruit business and jobs and have negative consequences for families and children.

Hagan released a statement this week urging North Carolina residents to oppose the amendment on the May 8 ballot. The measure says traditional marriage would be the only recognized domestic legal union in the state. State law already defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

Other amendment opponents have argued the language would imprint discrimination into the state constitution and discourage companies with gay-friendly policies from building or expanding in North Carolina. Hagan said the state can't afford to give businesses a reason to go elsewhere.

• by gay on Feb 25, 2012 at 05:50 AM
    i'm shocked a loser like hagan is against this amendment, good grief lets not let the people decide what they want, since you politicians are so sure that you know whats best. hows this for a shock loser hagan, i'm a gay man and i will vote for the amendment.
      by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2012 at 09:34 AM in reply to gay
      You'll vote for an amendment that will make it legal to discriminate against you? That doesn't make any sense.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 03:12 PM
    Odin promised an end to the frost giants. Jesus promised an end to all wicked people. I don't see many frost giants around. I know who to believe in.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 02:38 PM
    Such self-rightious bigotry in the name of religion has no place in the modern world.
      by Obama Snake Oil co on Feb 24, 2012 at 03:36 PM in reply to
      Well, having thought long and hard about your statment, The Collared Aracari makes its home year-round in the tropical rainforests of southern Mexico and throughout Central America. The most distinctive physical chararcteristic of the Aracari is its amazing beak. Their beaks, about 4 inces long, are almost a quarter of the bird's entire body. Their bodies are a rainbow of colors, especially their breasts and beaks. On their breasts, Collared Aracaris have yellow, red and green feathers. They also have red or blue plumage surrounding their eyes.
        by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 02:12 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil co
        Go eat more paint-chips, maybe eventually lead-poisoning will do it's job.
        by Truth on Feb 25, 2012 at 05:53 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil co
        I'm convinced he's a paid shill even more now that he posts comments like these. He's probably got a quota of posts he has to make but has gotten tired of thinking up incendiary "troll posts" and has finally resorted to copy pasting wildlife articles from the internet. Better hope your boss doesn't find out, OSOC!
          by Obama Snake Oil Co on Feb 26, 2012 at 07:13 AM in reply to Truth
          Funny, posters that go by the name of truth and facts, are devoid of both. You should post as lies to be told or BS...either will work. I just posted facts about facts and you went to name calling...oh the anger you must feel!
  • by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    I really wish we could ban organized religion. It's the worst construct in all of history. The sooner these people learn to think the better of everybody will be. Christians, Muslims, all of them need to go.
      by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM in reply to
      its ok, I'll pray for you!
        by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 01:22 PM in reply to
        To which God? Depending on the religion, there could be one God or a thousand. No more proof exist for any of them.
          by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 08:37 AM in reply to
          one day you will meet my GOD, Face to face and you will not like what is said!
          by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 02:12 PM in reply to
          Why would I meet your God when he isn't real according to my religion? Maybe one day you'll meet my God? And I assure you, he is not kind to people like you.
      by Dar on Feb 24, 2012 at 07:53 PM in reply to
      I will pray for you as you sound like a VERY unhappy & bitter person.
        by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2012 at 09:36 AM in reply to Dar
        Once I was free from the chains of religion I became a much happier person.
  • by Dave Location: Wilson on Feb 24, 2012 at 09:38 AM
    This has nothing to do with equal protection or civil rights. It is a group wanting special rights. First there are situations where marriage of legal adults is denied even if heterosexual. Close relatives and multiple partners are denied. If you allow homosexual marriage you will ultimately have to allow these someday as well. A homosexual has every right, just like a heterosexual, to marry one person of the opposite sex that is not a close relative. They want special rights!!
      by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 01:23 PM in reply to Dave
      If by special rights, you mean the same rights as everybody else.
  • by rusty Location: aurora on Feb 24, 2012 at 09:16 AM
    marriage was defined many years ago; it is what it is. There is no changing that fact, BUT you can establish a way for others to live their lives the way they wish by creating rules for their behaviors and lifestyles; you could have something equal BUT SEPARATE; SOMETHING THAT GIVES THE RECOGNITION OF THEM AS A COUPLE COMITTED TO EACH OTHER OR DIVORCING AND PAYING ALIMONEY.
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Feb 24, 2012 at 07:51 AM
    Liberal test of the day; Your smarter than President Bush right? well, he graduated from Yale, and has an MBA from Harvad Business School, while you on the other hand... A. Hey, I have a C average in high school and I listen to Green Day, I'm clearly a genius. B. People who question the president's intelligence are usually idiots and I have alot of respect for the President I am clearly more intelligent than the President of the United States, Even my manager at McDonald's agrees. C. I go to college, so I clearly know everything there is to know about politics.
      by Obama Snake Oil co on Feb 24, 2012 at 03:39 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil Co
      No takers?
        by Obama Snake Oil co on Feb 26, 2012 at 07:15 AM in reply to Obama Snake Oil co
        I give a simple test and days go by...no takers....
          by Truth on Feb 26, 2012 at 05:40 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil co
          Because your "test" is as nonsensical as all your other posts. Just because Bush made it into Harvard/Yale and graduated tells us nothing about his intellect. It's a well known fact that such universities accept students based on who their families are or how much money they have to spend. Nothing about the curriculum is any harder than most regular state universities. Just look at the graduation rate for Harvard (97%) vs. UNC (75%). Wonder why they graduate so many more students than most other universities? If it were so hard, wouldn't more people fail out? Give Bush a standardized IQ test and let's see the results. I'd be willing to bet that he performs poorly, or at best, average.
          by Pop Quiz on Feb 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil co
          The test is not only nonsensical, it is as fraudulent as OSOC is. He likes to insert historical revisions into entries he's copied from Wikipedia and pretend it's legit, then criticizes others for doing it. His lack of a moral compass compels him to project his own shortcomings onto others. So we arrive at this post where he asserts a right to administer simple tests like this when he himself can't pass an equally simple test: provide the citation for a single Wiki entry he claims to have. He can't because he is dishonest and cheats, fabricating American history when he thinks nobody will check up on him. I did. He spends so much time preening in the mirror that he mistakes his own reflection for a "libterd" (his favorite word), hence the viciousness of his posts: they're reflexive and self-loathing. I detect daddy issues somewhere.
          by Obama Snake Oil Co on Feb 27, 2012 at 08:26 AM in reply to Obama Snake Oil co
          Well then Pop Quiz, do tee what revision to history I made. No, I am not your daddy and you got a zero on the test. You should have picked B, not don't let the fries burn again.
          by Pop Quiz on Feb 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM in reply to Obama Snake Oil co
          Gladly, OSOC! Go to the WITN story "GOP Sees Chance To Attack Obama On Rising Gas Prices" and go to our exchange on that page. My last two entries were Feb 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM and two days later on Feb 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Enjoy! By the way, phrases such as "not don't let the fries burn again" should tell (not "tee") which of us is the burger flipper.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 07:27 AM
    Why should anybody care what the Bible says? We're not a theocracy. We really need to start teaching the Bible as a source of fictional literature, which it is. Something else is odd though, you know who else wanted religious law to trump secular law? People like Osama Bin Laden...most of you aren't really that different from people like him.
      by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 08:34 AM in reply to
      wow, You will also burn when you die
        by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 01:24 PM in reply to
        Well, I will be cremated, so I guess you're right. Or maybe you'll suffer eternity for not worshiping the same God that I do. So you really need to convert to my religion, it's for your eternal soul.
  • by JSC Location: rocky mount on Feb 24, 2012 at 07:24 AM
    Why should a representative of a democratic society be afraid of a vote from the public? Seems to me that the liberals don't want it on the ballot because they aren't really interested on what the majority wants.
      by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM in reply to JSC
      Ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
      by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 01:25 PM in reply to JSC
      Why should the majority get to decide the rights of the minority? If that's the case, why don't we have a vote to determine if Christians should be allowed to worship in public? I think that should be put up to a vote.
  • by Opposed on Feb 24, 2012 at 07:15 AM
    I am OPPOSED to Kay Hagen and all the people who think they can rewrite the constitution, change constitutional rights to freedom of faith and religion and all of the lies of all the politicians in general. Kay - Seek employment elsewhere. Do NOT Vote for this woman. She is a parasite to this state.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140236013 - witn.com/a?a=140236013