Group Pushes For New Law On Dog Breeding

The director of the Humane Society of North Carolina says she's working with animal control officers and legislators on a bill to regulate commercial dog breeders.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported (http://bit.ly/xN6gmp) that Kim Alboum said she hopes a raid last week in Stokes County will spur the state to change its law. In that raid, 160 dogs were found sleeping in their own waste, in makeshift kennels that had exposed wires and mice infestations.

A bill to regulate commercial breeders passed the Senate in 2009, but it died in the House after pressure from groups including the North Carolina Pork Council and the Farm Bureau.

The Humane Society says at least 19 states have some regulations for commercial dog breeders.

• by Mermaid on Feb 16, 2012 at 07:14 AM
    WITN, you are NOT following up on this story with more info, which your readers/viewers have asked for!!
  • by CANDY Location: ENC on Feb 15, 2012 at 07:18 PM
    What a dictatorship of a country this is becoming. You can hardly fart in your backyard with EPA becoming involved. I've bred papered show/competition hunting dogs for years. I've also bred unregistered grade dogs. My dogs live in outside chainlink pens on concrete with warm dry houses. Oh since I don't have them cooped up in the house I guess I'm a bad owner that needs to get rid of all of my dogs and never breed again. I even have a couple on chains. They have even more room to scratch off in than the 10x10 pens that everyone is pushing for. They are just as happy and healthy. My dogs are well cared for. Guess some of ya'll think it's ok for these women to have these litters of 4, 5, 6, etc. children when there are shelters full of needy children already. But that's not open for discussion I guess. You want to pass laws interfering with dog owner's rights but allow humans to reproduce uncontrolled. I think China has it figured out. One kid per family. In the meantime, dog owners that do breed and own more than a couple of dogs that are not neutered, you should read into these laws carefully. They are put out there to make folks believe they'll stop puppy mills. These laws will actually severly limit dog ownership and breeding in general. Guess what?? The puppy mills will still be there. I have no issue with raising dogs for medical research either. But since the bleeding hearts want to argue, let's take shelter dogs and use them for medical research. Problem solved.
      by CritterLover on Feb 16, 2012 at 09:15 AM in reply to CANDY
      Your last comment just about made me lose my lunch, Candy. I am a bleeding heart animal lover, because they can't speak up against people like YOU who see them as object to use to your own devices. You're sick, and selfish.
        by . on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM in reply to CritterLover
        No since in arguing with you CritterLover. Ya'll know it all anyhow. If it wasn't for using animals for medical research...just think of the advances in medicine. Should be grateful. And you call me selfish. See you didn't touch the subject of homeless children when there's women out here having mulitple birth because of fertility treatments.
          by CritterLover on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM in reply to .
          Kids can speak and get welfare to feed them. Dogs and cats can't speak and don't get much more than 2 weeks of dry kibble before execution day. I don't like kids anyway, so they're not my concern. Fertility treatments to make you have quints is a disgusting use of the intelligence science has gained. And I would NEVER ask an animal to die for me. Their life is just as valuable as mine. "The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928"
        by .... on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM in reply to CritterLover
        Let me clarify something for you also. I have never sold anything for medical research and personally, wouldn't. I simply said animal research is beneficial to animals and humans in the long run.
          by CritterLover on Feb 17, 2012 at 05:37 AM in reply to ....
          So you're justifying cutting a cat's head open, implanting a chip to guage some level of a hormone, for the cat to eventually be killed, noggin cut open AGAIN to retrieve said chip, and then thrown away in the trash, all in the name of science? Mind you, about 90% of the animal research that goes on is NOT to find cures for life threatening illnesses. They're for frivolous research and cosmetics. Read the facts.
        by . on Feb 16, 2012 at 05:32 PM in reply to CritterLover
        You sure said a mouthful that time....and to call me narrow minded. SMH.
  • by Doglover Location: Davis nc on Feb 15, 2012 at 05:08 PM
    All breeders that do not hold a AKC registration or CKC (Canadian Kennel Club not contiential) with a CHAMPION Stud/Bitch SHOULD not be able to breed! There is enough mutts being put down daily in the shelter due to poor breeding, and David that isn't called a dog lover, thats called a money lover, breeding your dog just to find good loving homes? HAHA! whatever more like to find $300 in your pocket. Please stop adding to the pet over population, there is plenty of unwanted pets out there and yes the shelters even have dachsunds that families "once loved" People that breed their pets for money do abuse and mistreat pets because they are adding to the euthanasia/shelter lists and killing unwanted/unneeded pets daily! STOP BREEDING your dogs! you are known as a back yard breeder,which back yard breeders are known to sell to pet shops/puppy mills for a quick buck, I can buy a puppy from you all day saying im a loving family and turn around and abuse it.
      by CritterLover on Feb 16, 2012 at 07:07 AM in reply to Doglover
      AMEN!!! Backyard breeders are the root of the problem, NOT repuateble breeders! I've heard it so many times, before "we're just going to let her have one litter, it'll calm her down" or "I want my kids to see the miracle of life". Well, why not show them the sadness of an animal being euthanized as well. That'll really hit home.
  • by Karen Location: Wilmington, NC on Feb 15, 2012 at 04:15 PM
    As a Board member of NC Voters for Animal Welfare, I can tell you, as many of you know, we need better regulations for breeding animals in NC. We have no limit on the amount of dogs one can have, no minimum age at which puppies can be sold and no inspections for those that sell to the public which accounts for most of the breeders out there. The bottom line is that if you are breeding and more of the money goes into your pocket than into your dogs, something is not right. Good breeders should back, and welcome, a bill to shut down shoddy breeders that give them a bad name. Someone mentioned bad rescues and I agree - no one should have that many animals whether it is for rescue or breeding without major regulations and inspections. Another point I would like to mention - HSUS is the best thing to happen for puppy mills in the US. They have worked VERY hard to shut down mills all over the US. They have shut down many in the last year in our state and I welcome their help. Also, to clarify, Kim Alboum is the NC state director for the Humane Society of the US (not NC)and she is doing a great job to help animals in our state. We desperately need their help and resources. Their agenda, as Dee calls it, is to help animals. Just look at what they have done, not who said what 10 years ago. We have heard the same argument from these people for years and finally people are not buying it!
  • by David Location: Edenton on Feb 15, 2012 at 03:36 PM
    Awesome more goverment control! I will continue to breed my dachschund and find caring homes for the pups! No more regulation! Punish the abusers and leave the rest of us true dog lovers alone!!!!
      by Doglover on Feb 15, 2012 at 05:09 PM in reply to David
      You need to get your head out of the ground and see that people like you are part of the problem, now please spay and neuter your mutts.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 15, 2012 at 02:46 PM
    I agree, we need this law but how would they know who's breeding dogs to begin with? People are not goin to be calling asking for a permit.
      by Doglover on Feb 15, 2012 at 05:11 PM in reply to
      It's very easy, people that breed should have a breeding permit, if they don't have a breeding permit it will be easy to find them since they usually sell to petshops, post in the newspaper or put signs in their yard for puppies for sale. since they could care less where the pups go and just see the $$ signs.
        by Anonymous on Feb 16, 2012 at 04:00 PM in reply to Doglover
        Yes, I see, make them post a permit number# if they have a cat or dog for sale.
  • by Dee Location: New Bern on Feb 15, 2012 at 01:45 PM
    PLEASE, before you fight to pass this bill, do some research. The Humane Society is not what you think it is. GET INFORMED before it is too late. They have an agenda which I believe everyone of you will disagree with. I'm not taking sides or slamming your views, I just want everyone to know the truth about this organization.
  • by MS Location: NC on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    Please keep us updated on this...all breeders make me sick...the shelters are way to full of loving animals that no one wants already...get a job stop making money off of animals!!!
  • by Audra Location: SoCal, unfortunately on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    I can't remember off the top of my head what the regulations are for actual breeders here in CA, but we have had laws on it for a while. You are required by law in fact to spay or neuter your dog, unless you are a breeder (have to have some kind of proof/registration for it). It's a good idea. I know that nobody wants to see more regulation for anything these days, and I feel that... but the animal population is a serious issue that actually needs some intervention. I've lived in semi-rural spots on the edge of town where there were packs of wild dogs and it's frankly scarey. It's not something anyone should want to encourage happening.
      by Anonymous on Feb 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM in reply to Audra
      yes Audra! It is a Huge problem!
  • by rapper Location: wilson on Feb 15, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    Need more "regulation" for some of the respondents on this topic. Quick buck scammers/breeders don't care about consequences of their actions. Perhaps their ancestors should have been "regulated"?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139352493 - witn.com/a?a=139352493