Governor Vetos Bill, Tens Of Thousands Losing Unemployment Benefits

North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue has vetoed legislation that would have kept unemployment benefits for about 37,000 long-term jobless workers but also forced her to accept a budget cut.

Perdue's vetoed the bill late Saturday after a news conference on the deadly tornadoes that swept through the state. She says the Republican measure irresponsibly hitched financial lifelines to a budget ploy.

House members met earlier in the day to force the Democratic governor's hand. Legislation extending the benefits for people out of work for up to 99 weeks included language requiring she accept a 13 percent cut as a starting point for budget negotiations.

Republican leaders said they were ensuring schools and agencies can count on funding if negotiations drag into the new budget year.

• by Nodashley Location: NC on Apr 24, 2011 at 05:58 AM
    I'm trying to look 4 a job and I'm in school full-time after being laid off last year. I was 11 months from retirement. It's been tough and the Gov. is playing politics with my future. Shame on you Gov.!
  • by its me Location: Bear Grass on Apr 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    If you can't pass a drug test you lose your benefits.If you don't go to a training classes you lose your BENEFITS. Am sorry that's life . Save it for the people who needs it
  • by vaugh Location: Bear Grass on Apr 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    They are hiring where i work at Fuji Silysia. two or three people..I have talk to friends of mine who are out of working they are getting benefits.I hate to say this but its the truth.Their sorry tails are to sorry to go back to work.All they tell about is riding it out.Getting whats theirs.Thats bad to say because they had times where they couldve went back to work.By the way my friends are black and white.Give it to the people who can pass a drug test
  • by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2011 at 09:40 AM
    say what you want but bev wont be reading of this she has to plan for summer vacation
  • by LS Location: NB on Apr 18, 2011 at 05:49 AM
    I'm sorry that this bill was vetod BUT at some point in time the benefits have got to be cut off! My husband was laid off and received unemployment benefits for 3 months which did help us survive. Friends tried to give my husband job search records to keep so he'd keep riding the system....he didn't. Guys told him to use the system and stay on unemployment like they had for over 2 yrs! My husband works and works hard at whatever he does and sittin on his butt drawing a check for nothing only hurt his ego and pride. He went to work for himself and found work to do....it's not that bad out there if someone is willing to actually do some work and not expect handouts! There are too many lazy proud workers waiting for the 'perfect' job to land in their laps instead of doing whatever has to be done. The gov't shouldn't support anyone the way it does and if it didn't our state probably wouldn't be in the economic crisis that its in. The gov't assistance programs are wonderful ideas if they were not abused and taken advantage of. To reset the system unfortunately I feel these support systems do need to go and people need to learn how to fend for themselves!!!
      by Jobs available on Apr 18, 2011 at 08:51 AM in reply to LS
      Amen sister!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2011 at 04:28 AM
    If it was not for unemployment benefits when all this started I do not know what we would have done. We went from home owners to homeless and lost our cars too. This is what we needed to get us through til we could get gainfully employed again. Don't judge if this economy did not affect you personally. Perdue recently had plastic surgery - she is NOT hurting.
      by LS on Apr 18, 2011 at 05:57 AM in reply to
      BUT....may I say that it sounds like you used the system as it was intended.....you went back to work and didn't sit on your butts like most have whining about their checks! Nothing wrong with taking advantage of what's available...it's the abusers and slackers that ruined this system! Congrats to you for overcoming and for the future you deserve through hard work and perseverence! :)
  • by DB on Apr 17, 2011 at 03:28 PM
    I understand that we all must tighten our belt and suffer in times like these I get that.I would like to know Gov. Perdue how you and your family are gonna tighten your belts and suffer with the rest of us?
  • by Anonymous on Apr 17, 2011 at 03:00 PM
    been reading post from wake county and beyond those people are right in the mixed of things and they treat people nicer eastern n.c. either they think that cutting people down makes then look smarter or you guys got issues
  • by More jobs..... Location: Greenville on Apr 17, 2011 at 01:58 PM
    Also just read about more places hiring this week. Aaron's....... Zaxby's........ Panera Bread. Come on Long Term jobless workers...... go check it out.
  • by Jobs available Location: Greenville on Apr 17, 2011 at 01:51 PM
    Just got back from a few errands with the wife. We stopped at Best Buy, Staples, US Cellular, and the grocery store. I asked employees from each if they had jobs to offer. Each told me that there was 'always something available'. Hmmm, everyone claiming there are no jobs must mean..... 'There are no jobs I want', or really just enjoying the life of getting paid for doing nothing. Remember, those losing benefits are not all unemployed..... just the LONG TERM JOBLESS WORKER. Hmmmmmmmmmmm......
      by redemption on Apr 17, 2011 at 03:24 PM in reply to Jobs available
      By law they can not tell you they are not hiring those places. They want you to put in for a job their because it looks like people are applying and makes it look like people are trying to find jobs. That's how they do unemployment percentages. I work for NCESC and can not stand to hear people say they are hiring this week or yeah their is something for everyone. If there were the unemployment rate would be zero. Hiring week just means they are taking apps and keep them on file a minimum of 90 days. Yeah some do get hired but those with a higher education don't get these lower paying jobs. A company that hires people who been on unemployment or unemployed long term and receiving welfare benefits, that company gets extra income from the government for hiring them even if it's for a month or two.They may hire 1 person to work 10-40 hrs a week but the person employed won't get unemployment after they are let go after 3 months, better yet 6 months and that person will be in a worse predicament than before. It just makes state and county unemployment numbers. Watch what you apply for. May hurt you worse later than sooner.
        by Jobs available on Apr 18, 2011 at 08:48 AM in reply to redemption
        Very interesting point. However, while the mention of 'jobs available' might fall under what you are saying, I went back to US cell..... and BB, and they said they were hiring. Also, stopped by the Hess on tenth to fill up, and what do you know..... they are looking for help also. While I agree with redemption's point, I also know people are hiring. So, both sides, in this case, just may be true.
      by LS on Apr 18, 2011 at 05:53 AM in reply to Jobs available
      exactly.....the long term jobless workers are only expecting handouts and won't do what is necessary to support themselves and their families.....I'm about sick of the 'who is me, somebody owes me a handout' syndrome among supposedly grown adults! There is always work available....got to actually work and get your hands dirty occasionally. It wasn't too good for our older generations and it's not too good for the generations now. Might build some backbone and morals!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119995289 - witn.com/a?a=119995289