Food Bank Distributes Extra Goods To NC Counties

A regional food bank has made its largest distribution since Hurricane Isabel eight years ago, sending nearly 140,000 pounds of food to local communities affected by Hurricane Irene.

The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk, Va., reported that the Food Bank of Albemarle has distributed almost 138,000 pounds of food from Aug. 25 through Thursday.

Food Bank executive director Liz Reasoner says Dare County received the most, almost 28,000 pounds.

Martin County has received almost 24,000 pounds and Beaufort County more than 21,000. Hyde County and Ocracoke have received more than 11,000 pounds.

After Isabel, the food bank distributed 1 million additional pounds of food.

Typically, the food bank distributes 350,000 pounds monthly to 52,900 people in 15 northeastern North Carolina counties.

• by Dawg on Sep 18, 2011 at 06:51 AM
    Did I loose food because of the power outage, yes. Could I use help in replacing what I lost, sure. Did I apply or even think about getting food stamps, no. Why because I was blessed that food was all I lost. There were people that lost much more than food and really need the help.
  • by Citizen on Sep 18, 2011 at 01:59 AM
    I bet the same people that got hundreds of dollars on foodstamp cards will line up at the food banks for more. They'll go get it simply because they can. There are many people that needed foodstamps, but couldn't get them. Just because they make $2.00 over the income level doesn't mean they don't need some assistance. These are the people the food banks should be helping. All of these people who qualify for everything free already go collect on every other freebie they hear about. They are the reason why so many who need help are falling through the cracks. It's time we start helping the needy...not the greedy.
  • by toni on Sep 17, 2011 at 09:14 PM
    Stuff like this shouldnt be advertised because people who lost NOTHING are using it to get free food that they dont need taking away from people who really need it. If you dont need it either because you didnt lose anything or you can actually afford to replace everything you lost then dont take advantage of programs like this. Think of others who actually need this that you are stealing food from. Karma will catch up with you eventually then maybe you will know whats its like to do what you have done.
  • by lot of food on Sep 17, 2011 at 07:48 PM
    All I would like to know is how many people have $500-1000 worth of food in their refrigerator/freezer who live from pay check to pay check? And just how much food is that? I think I could fill my freezer with ribeyes and it would not be $1000 worth. The ones who really need the help never get it and those who are always use to getting the hand outs always get what they expect, more stuff for free for nothing.
  • by Hurricane territory Location: real world on Sep 17, 2011 at 07:20 PM
    There was much abuse of this give away program. If people do not have enough sense to properly prepare themselves for hurricanes in Eastern North Carolina, then they should loose some fat while they wait for a well organized program to be implemented with less fraud.
  • by irritated on Sep 17, 2011 at 05:02 PM
    In response to your comment GRANNY!!! It's people like you that irritate me to no end. Regardless of whether they are freebies or not, where are you to judge who should or shouldn't go. Everyone suffered from this hurricane including myself and my family. Sounds to me that you didn't have damage or lost food. Hard working people such as myself, my parents, my fiance, his parents, our 3 children and numerous family and friends lost everything nutritional wise. You try to raise 3 children off of the bare essentials for 4 days and explain to them why we don't have food and electricity. It's not as easy at it seems. I am a medical professional and my fiance holds just as an important job as mine as a LEO. It takes everything we make in a months time to survive. I am a single mother and he is a single father. People like you make me sick!!!!! I commend everyone who did go and stand for hours on end, just as I did, to get the help that was offered. Where were you? Sitting at home enjoying your bon bons while the rest of us lost $500-$1000 worth of food, work hours and sleep. Get a life lady. God will deal with you in his on way. This is one reason I feel comments shouldn't be allowed especially when it has to do with mass devistation such as this. Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, why can't I get help, or who's going to take care of me when I have to go to a nursing home, because my family refuses to allow me to stay at home alone, or when you can't afford to pay for your prescription medications, because you don't have enough money or social security doesn't give you enough to pay your bills, much like your medication, or food. When this happens, make the same comment again and see what kind of response you get. I hope I NEVER have to take care of you, you selfish, non cosiderate hipocrit!
  • by Hopefully Location: Greenville on Sep 17, 2011 at 03:25 PM
    Hopefully the poor folks who need this will get some help. Apparently 750 people stood in line for hours last week in the heat for the food stamps to be told the stamps were not in and that they should listen tothe news to know when to come back. We do better than this in 3rd world countries. Why is it that when it is time to help here this happens? I believe in helping everyone but having people taken to the hospital after becoming dehydrated in the heat for nothing is not good. We can do better.Why was this not reported?
      by Anonymous on Sep 17, 2011 at 04:00 PM in reply to Hopefully
      More government cover up by the media.
  • by Granny on Sep 17, 2011 at 01:05 PM
    OK now everybody leave work and go stand in line for more freebies.
      by Sue on Sep 17, 2011 at 07:06 PM in reply to Granny
      Granny, the U.S. has got to be the only country in the world where people begrudge poor people and others who are down on their luck. What manner of humanity is this? I could happen to anybody. Hell, you could store a year's worth of food and have it wash away. You could lose your health and any fortune. Be careful of judgment when you don't know the situation. It all has a way of coming home.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130020408 - witn.com/a?a=130020408