Foes Of NC Amendment Rally At State Capitol

Opponents of a proposed constitutional ban on gay marriage in North Carolina say they're optimistic about their chances in the May 8 referendum.

A crowd marched Thursday from the bell tower on the campus at North Carolina State University to the mall at the capitol for a short rally.

An estimate of the crowd's size wasn't immediately available from state capitol police. Organizers had hoped to attract 1,000 people.

The rally is aimed at convincing North Carolinians to vote against a proposal that would see the state constitution define marriage as between a man and a woman.

North Carolina is the last state in the Southeast without such a law.

A call to Vote FOR Marriage NC, a group supporting the amendment, was not immediately returned Thursday.

• by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 09:42 PM
    I can't for the life of me seem to understand why people think that homosexuality doesn't harm anyone and is perfectly acceptable and alright. What about yourself, your family and your parents or nephews or nieces? Do people ever consider anything other then themselves and their own happiness anymore. Me personally I don't want to do business with openly gay people just like I choose not to do business with people that are known criminals, wife beaters, drunks and drug users.
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:48 AM in reply to
      Your statement is based on your personal belief. You say, "do people ever consider anything other [than] themselves and their own happiness anymore." Do you realize how hypocritical you are being? You're only thinking about the happiness of yourself.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 07:21 PM
    To all these bigots complaining about the definition of marriage and how it shouldn't be changed, I have a question. Should they have changed the definition of marriage to suite interracial couples? Because until then, only white couples were allowed to marry and only black couples were allowed to marry, so why was it okay to change the definition then? And if you say; "well it never said anything about the color of the skin" fine, it never said anything about a persons sexual orientation either.
  • by SkiBo Location: Fayetteville, NC on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    Homosexuality is an abomonation to God. It is referenced over 400 times in the Bible. As a Nation,State as well as individuals we will reap what we sow, more than we sow and later than we sow. Read the Bible folks.
      by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM in reply to SkiBo
      Separation of state and church. What's up?
      by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 07:08 PM in reply to SkiBo
      Please cite every reference.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 09:39 AM
    I'm a christian and I am voting for the amendment. Marriage is between one man and one woman. Not two women or two men. Marriage was meant to protect the family morals and values and to signify commitment to one another and for child rearing. Homosexuals don't seem to have a good sense of morals especially when they choose to raise children in these households. What are you teaching your children? Do whatever you want as long as it makes you happy and who care what everyone else thinks. Homosexuality is just plain wrong because humans can not reproduce between two men or two women. If your a homosexual and you are discreet about it and not public like Ellen DeGeneres then I could care less what you do behind closed doors but when you throw it out in public for everyone to see and hold hands and make out it public it crosses the line.
      by Obama Snake Oil Co on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM in reply to
      My point of my post, as I agree with you very much so, it that gay people can get help for their problem. Funny, a lobby is pushing this as a norm when is no doubt a personal problem for "them". They want us to accept what we have all learned is wrong and sin. I went online to see if they had support and the internet is loaded with them. Only 215 million hits on treament. Like this one; http://www.southcoastrecovery.com/gay_lesbian_treatment.html
      by Truth on Mar 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM in reply to
      Aside from the biblical reasons that make you consider homosexuality immoral, please offer one example that illustrates how their sexual, familial, financial, or social activities are actually immoral or effect you negatively in any way and you might have a point.
        by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 09:07 PM in reply to Truth
        People need to stand up for what they believe or else they stand for nothing. I guess because I have a christian belief system and upbringing that makes my decisions inferior to people that believe it's alright to live together as man and man or woman and woman and raise children. Go ahead do what you want with who ever you want as long as it makes you happy. Go be openly gay in California because they don't have a problem with it. I don't force my religious beliefs on anyone but if asked for an opinion I will gladly give it. Tired of homos trying to promote their cause publicly and throw it in everyone else's face.
      by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM in reply to
      Ellen DeGeneres is extremely vocal about her homosexuality. And why shouldn't they throw it in your face? You're stupidity offends me, now there's something you should keep to yourself.
        by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 08:56 PM in reply to
        I actually study the law and enforce it unlike you and am a college graduate so put that in your pipe and smoke it.
          by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM in reply to
          Gosh, that's scary!
        by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 09:29 PM in reply to
        And you wonder why gay and lesbians are discriminated against? Maybe because their behavior is not right according to the majority Americans and religions.
      by Boycott JCPenny on Mar 22, 2012 at 09:12 PM in reply to
      The very reason why I quit shopping a JCPenny. If they want my money they need to quit paying gay Ellen as a spokesperson. We shall see if there enough gays to support their business cause for me and my christian friends we will shop elsewhere.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 05:40 AM
    If being gay is wrong I want to be sooo wrong. I can't wait until our parade comes to a town near any of you bashers. Here we come eastern north carolina!
      by REM on Mar 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM in reply to
      Just don't be upset when we host a heterosexual or family values pride parade.
        by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM in reply to REM
        Go ahead, it wouldn't affend me at all. Just as a gay pride parade doesn't.
      by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 09:41 AM in reply to
      That's the problem with you gays. Can't be happy behind closed doors anymore so you have to throw it out before god and everyone else to see and judge and then get mad when people criticize you.
        by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM in reply to
        Parades for over coming discrimination have been a long time tradition. Think back to the civil rights movement or even women's rights.
      by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 09:14 PM in reply to
      Funny how all the gays can find one another in a 100 mile radius. Maybe they can have a decorating party and paint the town in their flamboyant colors.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2012 at 01:42 PM
    Marriage is about tax breaks. Let's be real here fellas. We all got married because we wanted the tax breaks. If we can do it I think the homosexuals should be aloud to as well.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2012 at 05:34 AM
    Shall I also beat my slave but not to the point of death? This was also in the bible. There are a lot of things that go out of style in a few thousand years.
      by REM on Mar 19, 2012 at 08:53 AM in reply to
      Typical, out of context. "Slave" was a translated term used to describe a DEBTOR servant. If someone owed you money in those times, you got your money back by servitude. If they didn't do their job like they were supposed to, then you could do the equivalent of spanking a child. Like most anti-Bible rants, you take this totally out of context. Besides, the Bible is NOT telling you to beat slaves; it's just recounting the moral standards of that time. Wouldn't it be nice if we punished criminals in the same manor? Made them work for their debt. Try again.
        by Obama Snake Oil Co on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM in reply to REM
        The just spin it in to suit. Just like they guy saying christians in the crusades killing muslims. The only problem, the muslims were killing the christians throughout the world and the crusades came to the rescue....libterds, they just post.
          by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2012 at 01:32 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil Co
          Your posts are snake oil.
        by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2012 at 01:29 PM in reply to REM
        And you don't think that you are taking things out of context when talking about how homosexuals shouldn't be aloud to marry?
          by REM on Mar 19, 2012 at 03:22 PM in reply to
          I don't think the government should issue out marriage licenses, period. If you want to marry someone of the same sex, then that's up to you. We should have flat taxes so that no-one is singled out for tax purposes so we could eliminate any chance of discrimination.
        by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 01:00 PM in reply to REM
        Beatings in the Bible were not like spanking a child, it was like beating them with a cane or switch until they did what you wanted too. And by your own comment, are you not saying that being anti-gay is the moral standard of the time? Wouldn't you think you'd have grown a new set of better morals in 2000 years?
      by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 09:49 AM in reply to
      No where in the Bible does it say homosexuality is alright. Homosexuality is a sin and the reason why Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed by fire and brimstone. Genesis 19:24 Read your Bible, pray for forgiveness, and change your ways.
        by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM in reply to
        Luckily our laws are not written according to what the bible says.
          by Anonymous on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM in reply to
          If you read the Bible you would understand that several of the ten commandants given to Moses by God are crimes. Thou shalt not kill, steal, commit adultery. It's the reason why Sunday the Sabbath is a holy day and most businesses are closed. Look at the the engravings on the Supreme Court building. Religion has shaped our country and made it what it is today and we shouldn't turn our backs on it.
          by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM in reply to
          Separation of church and state, what's up?
        by Truth on Mar 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM in reply to
        Alternatively; you can read your Bible and laugh at all the inconsistencies and wonder how anyone would chose to believe any of it, not waste your time praying, and continue being yourself (which doesn't effect anyone else anyways) and ignore the haters. Live your life and enjoy it. Help others and try to make their lives better, too.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2012 at 05:58 AM
    I was married 20 years ago..in a church... the ceremony was between me, myself and God. So for me, God is at the very center of the debate. and my opinion is no less important than those who are spewing so much hatred on here.
      by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM in reply to
      what church married you to yourself?
  • by To REM Location: ENC on Mar 17, 2012 at 09:44 PM
    Evangelical Christian did NOT mean in 1776 what it means today! In the early 18th century, The Great Awakening enfluenced the Methodist, Baptist, and Presbyterians in this country. Those who opposed The Great Awakening were Episcopalian, Quakers, and Congregationalists. Of the signers- 7 were Pres., 2 were Meth. and all the rest (46) were from the other three denominations with two being self-declared Deists! Many Methodist, Pres., and Baptist today do NOT consider themselves "evangelicals".
  • by To REM Location: Morehead on Mar 17, 2012 at 05:33 PM
    You think that allowing same-sex marriage will lead to polygamy, marrying objects, or marrying animals. Basically a moral decline. Do you also believe that since the Netherlands legalized same-sex marriage they have also legalized polygamy, marrying objects and animals? You also say that same-sex couples cam live together and not break any laws. Do you know there are already two laws in NC that prohibit same-sex marriage? So it's unnecessary to change the constitution. Tax paying people deserve the same rights. Plus how will it affect your marriage, I know it won't affect mine.
      by REM on Mar 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM in reply to To REM
      See, instead of getting your own name, you continually post under the guise "To REM". You soul purpose is to draw attention to the fact that you hate me so much that you must only respond to my posts. Why don't you try actually reading my posts first? I asked if allowing homosexual marriage would be fair to the polygamists. Instead of answering, you go off into a rant about the Netherlands. I have said it time and time again, this is a social issue, not a law issue. The state shouldn't issue marriage licenses TO ANYONE.
        by Look I'm REM! on Mar 19, 2012 at 05:35 AM in reply to REM
        As far as names go, anyone can make any name so to complain is worthless.
          by REM on Mar 19, 2012 at 08:54 AM in reply to Look I'm REM!
          It's childish. Thanks for adding to the degradation. I swear it's getting harder and harder to have civil and adult-like discussions these days.
          by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2012 at 01:34 PM in reply to Look I'm REM!
          REM, you come to WITN for adult civil conversations? While I agree we should be ABLE to, we certainly wont. This is ENC, aka deliverance, expect the unexpected.
          by REM on Mar 19, 2012 at 03:27 PM in reply to Look I'm REM!
          ENC is far from "deliverance", I was born and raised here. But I agree with your sentiment, there are very few people who can converse rationally.
          by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 05:28 AM in reply to Look I'm REM!
          Your open mindedness certainly shows.
        by Concerned Citizen on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:43 AM in reply to REM
        REM, I was having trouble replying to your original post, so that's why chose tyat user name. If someone else already did that, my apologies. That being said, it has nothing to do with hate. Just a discussion. The reason I brought up the Netherlands is because the argument that allowing same-sex marriage would lead to marrying objects, animals and groups of people is unfounded. You keep saying that the state shouldn't issue marriage licenses to anyone, do you think voting against amendment one would then provide marriage licenses to same-sex couples? There are already laws against same-sex marriage in NC. All this amendment will do is cost the tax payers tremendous amounts of money once it goes into litigation, because as it has been shown in other states, it is an unconstitutional piece of legislation.
          by REM on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM in reply to Concerned Citizen
          Sorry, there is someone on this forum that only uses the "To REM" user name just to troll. I never said that allowing state sponsored homosexual marriage would lead to those things; I merely posed a question in which no-one had an answer. the question was, "Could you allow one thing and not the other". Wouldn't it be discriminatory not to allow polygamy? Or any other type of "marriage"? If you are going to change the definition, you might as well open it up to everything. The reason I am still voting in favor of the bill is because I still understand the role of traditional marriage between one man and one woman. Having said that, if a bill comes up that disallows the state to issue marriage licenses, then I will vote in favor for that with full force! Thanks for the response.
          by Concerned Citizen on Mar 21, 2012 at 02:16 PM in reply to Concerned Citizen
          REM. to answer your question. The state or the amendment to the state's constitution is not "allowing" same-sex marriage. It will read For or Against "Constitutional amendment to provide that marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized by this state.". No where does us say it will allow same-sex marriages. It will not say "Constitutional amendment that validates or recognizes same-sex marriages". There are already laws prohibiting it. I brought up the argument about the Netherlands because people think the moral decline of same-sex marriage will lead to other things. It has not and will not. And to group same-sex marriage into polygamy (where there is often the abuse of young women and the ostracization young men), marrying animals, and marrying objects into homosexual relationships is insulting to gay people and to the intellect of straight people. There are children going to bed tonight hungry and millions of dollars will be spent on this redundant and discriminatory piece of legislation.
          by REM on Mar 21, 2012 at 05:23 PM in reply to Concerned Citizen
          Come on now, you STILL did not answer the question. I am going to assume that the answer is yes, you are discriminatory towards polygamy. I'm trying to point out a double standard, and you refuse to recognize it. By the way, if you feel so sorry for all the starving children, then do something about it. I do every year by sponsoring local children; spent hundreds last year in fact. I'm not exactly sure what you were implying with that.
          by Concerned Citizen on Mar 21, 2012 at 06:10 PM in reply to Concerned Citizen
          If you want to say I'm discriminatory when it comes to the harm and abuse of people and animals then, yes. But you would have to concede same-sex marriage doesn't harm anyone. (Note I'm not including objects because it's ridiculous). If I've been reading your posts correctly, you don't believe the state/government should sanction any marriage. If that's the case, why would you vote for something that defines it, let alone putbdiscriminatory language in the constitution? Your arguments don't add up. As for the children, please stop taking everything as a personal attack. I was not accusing you of not caring about children. I'm just pointing out how much this piece of legislation will cost North Carolinians
          by REM on Mar 22, 2012 at 06:09 AM in reply to Concerned Citizen
          I am voting on this issue according to the current laws, and they already define marriage. Since I do believe that marriage is between one man and one woman, I will vote in favor. If the vote comes up to disallow the government to define marriage I will most definitively vote for that as well. As it stands today, however, marriage is already defined and recognized by the state. It's my opinion and my right to vote this way. I don't want the government to control such social issues, but I am definitely NOT going to vote my approval of homosexuality.
        by Concerned Citizen on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:57 AM in reply to REM
        Just read through all the post and did see that someone else was using "To REM". I was the one who made the original post about the Netherlands, so if you would like to respond to it knowing it was me and without the frustration you had at the other person, that would be fine.
          by REM on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM in reply to Concerned Citizen
          Thanks :)

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142861805 - witn.com/a?a=142861805