UPDATE: Judge Allows Bow Hunting In Emerald Isle Gated Community

By: April Davis/ Kelsie Smith
By: April Davis/ Kelsie Smith

It's been 2 weeks since bow hunting in Emerald Isle began to help control the deer population, and Monday night a judge ruled bow hunting can begin in a gated community there.

Since January 17th select volunteers have been bow hunting for deer in 4 locations on Emerald Isle. The Lands End community was the selected 5th location, but for the past two weeks residents had a temporary restraining order on the homeowners association. Monday night a judge lifted that and Wednesday Emerald Isle Town Manager Frank Rush will meet with the homeowners association to schedule hunting times. Rush says the town is pleased with how the hunting has been going.

Hunters have killed 12 deer so far. All the meat is donated to Hunters for the Hungry. The deer-population control ends February 29th.

PREVIOUS STORY:
Less than two weeks from the planned start of a controversial bow hunt in Emerald Isle, a restraining order has been issued to stop it temporarily.

A 20-page complaint was filed early Thursday at the Carteret County Superior Court by attorneys representing two part-time residents of emerald isle. It says they did not consent to the hunt, as claimed by the town.

A judge issued a 10-day temporary restraining order against the Lands End Homeowners' Association board of directors to stop the upcoming hunt until after a public hearing is held.

PREVIOUS STORY:
EMERALD ISLE, N.C. (AP) -- Emerald Isle will allow a select group of bow hunters to kill deer in January.

The Daily News of Jacksonville reports that the town will allow a group of bow hunters to hunt for deer for a limited time within authorized areas.

Town Manager Frank Rush says the hunt will be similar to the one the town allowed in 2010, although it could be expanded.

Hunting will be allowed in the 42-acre Emerald Isle Woods Park that the town owns. Officials also are working with owners of other large parcels of wooded property who may allow the bow hunters on their property.

The hunt in 2010 wasn't enough to keep the deer population down. It has grown to its highest level with about 175 deer.

• by Anon Location: EI on Feb 11, 2012 at 08:02 AM
    Let's build a fence to go with the gate at Lands End, and relocate the deer there. I feel sure an agreement could be reached that would prevent hunting within their community. Then everyone would be happy (except the deer), but after reading all the previous comments it is clear that the opposition to the population control efforts (which are effectively used throughout the state) are not worried about the deer only how a wounded bloody one, might tramatize them. The people who reside within the fence alongside the deer might want get a few veterinarians on retainer to deal with the sick and deformed animals that will result. It might also be a good idea to retain a few therapists to help with the trama of seeing the animals die a slow agonizing death for months before finally expiring. Do you think if this was implemented you may at some point want the population brought to a healthy size? OK now picture lands end on a slightly larger scale - say the size of the point area, from hwy 58 and Coast Guard Rd west the inlet. Let the ocean to south, the sound to the north, inlet to the west, and a line continued from the EI bridge south to the ocean be the containment fence. Get the picture? There are no predators and they are basically fenced in. Using experienced bow hunters is a cost effective safe measure which will result in less animal suffering than doing nothing. Relocation would be an ideal situation for the island residents but we do not have the money and the places they would be relocated to would be open to hunters. The situation really stinks and I suspect no one likes where we are but making a decision to ignore it is making a decison to cause widespread suffering in the very near future. The town should consider adding the feral cats to the hunters list.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Feb 2, 2012 at 02:16 AM
    Tarboro had and has the same problem w/ deer inside the city limits. It wasn't an issue until it started eating up the Hosta, decorative flowers and fruit off the fruit trees. They were supposed to pass a bow hunt there but I can't remember if they did or not. I don't worry about it where I live --- because I can count a couple of dozen every morning in my front yard and ride a 2 mile area and count another 10 dozen..... EVERYDAY.
  • by Red Location: PA on Feb 1, 2012 at 08:14 PM
    Pete, with that attitude I guess you condone killing everything that's not human so we don't have to be inconvenienced by anything in the world. That was a stupid argument. My only problem with this is a property rights issue. If it is a gated community, then the community owns the land. How can a judge tell them what they have to allow on their land? Whether you agree with the hunt or not, I'm sure very few people would appreciate a judge ordering you to allow outsiders to come onto your property to do something you don't want them to do. And to the people who are putting this is the "liberal vs. conservative" bucket, you do realize that mindset is destroying this country right? Everything we hear about now has people who try to use it as a means to pit 'liberals vs. conservatives'. It's sad to see people dumbing down every issue in the world. I, for one, am a individual who has complex thoughts and ideas about a range of topics and I do not neatly fit into a dumbed down box with a label on.
  • by pete Location: grifton on Feb 1, 2012 at 01:41 PM
    I have a simple solution.Let all the bambi lovers agree to fix the damage the deer do to vehicles and property.I thought so no takers.
  • by American Location: Pennsylvania on Feb 1, 2012 at 05:44 AM
    You gotta love liberals and lawyers. Both need to just go away. Feeding homeless and controlling the deer population sounds like a good thing to me. Too bad some of those old liberal farts in Lands End had a problem with it. Lucky for everyone else that lives in lands end, the liberals are the minority. Congrats on the win homeowners association. Keep up the good fight.
      by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2012 at 06:24 AM in reply to American
      Omg! the liberls ARE ALL MOVING HERE FROM YANKEEVILLE and bringing their, 'I can do anything I want and will try to change everything attitude with them'!Now hear this! WE DON'T CARE HOW YOU DID IT UP NORTH! YOU ARE NOT IN THE NORTH ANYMORE! The roads that brought you here are still open and can take you back home! Not a liberal or yankee fan.
        by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM in reply to
        AMEN!!!!
  • by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2012 at 03:57 AM
    Everyone could just fence in their yards like the lady near the access at the point. All those pretty flowers, with eight feet of crappy fence all the way around her yard. Tacky tacky tacky.
  • by Michael Location: Vanceboro on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    Go ahead and hunt. But if I lived there hunters would enter my property at their own peril !
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Jan 31, 2012 at 09:17 PM
    Deer have no natural predators to maintain their population. There has been a resurgence of coyotes that keep the fawn herd down. I know alot of you don't understand the need of 'thinning' but you would if you see the effects of overpopulation and inbreeding results. I have seen some pretty nasty stuff out there from an inbred population.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Jan 31, 2012 at 07:55 PM
    If it means preventing deer and automobiles from colliding, causing insurance rates to hike and possibly costing the state money, then I'm in support for the bow hunting down there.
      by excuse me on Feb 2, 2012 at 04:55 AM in reply to Sam
      I've lived on Emerald Isle and the deer population is astonishing. They are everywhere day and night, and never give humans a second look. Anytime you travel down coast guard road you will see more than you can count on your hands. Just about the time a big old buck runs into the front of that old ladies lexis or her husband mercedes she will won't something done about them. It's not about the flowers woman.
  • by anon Location: fountain on Jan 15, 2012 at 04:16 AM
    I have an idea; I'm sitting practically on top of a coyote den; have shot at them twice in two weeks and seen the pups. I; would be willing to catch some in a live trap with permission that is, and relocate them. I am harvesting for the pelts and to protect the local deer. one of my friends put a trail cam on a coyote den last year and in 22 days they brought a fresh deer back 20 days, most of them spotted, but if no one wants these coyote im shooting every last one; the a joining land owner is using foot traps then shooting them, i have not the stomach for that. im giving them a 100 grain silver tip 243 sleeping pill, using electronic calls; but would much rather see them relocated. I feel like im shooting a dog until I look at the trail cam pics.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136304838 - witn.com/a?a=136304838