Toll of Guilford County Murder-Suicide Rises To Four

A North Carolina woman's weekend rampage through her family has claimed the life of her second son.

Guilford County Sheriff BJ Barnes said Tuesday 14-year-old Zachary Lee Smith died late Monday after being shot by his mother.

Authorities say 36-year-old Mary Ann Holder killed herself after shooting her two sons and three other children in the head. The sheriff's department says Holder's nephew and her older son's girlfriend remain in critical condition.

Holder also shot her married former lover when they met early Sunday. Forty-year-old Randal Lamb was in stable condition after being shot in the shoulder.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Previous Story

An 8-year-old girl is the second murder victim of a woman who killed her son, left three other children fighting for life and shot her ex-boyfriend in a bitter love triangle.

Guilford County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Randy Powers said Monday that 8-year-old Hannaleigh Suttles died of the head wound she suffered in the mass shootings Sunday at her home. Suttles was one of two children 36-year-old Mary Ann Holder took in last spring when her sister died.

Sheriff BJ Barnes said Holder left notes taking responsibility for the shootings before shooting herself to death. Authorities say besides killing Suttles and her son 17-year-old Robert Dylan Smith, Holder also shot her nephew, her younger son, and Dylan's girlfriend in the head.

Previous Story

Authorities in North Carolina say a woman angry over an affair that ended bitterly shot her boyfriend in a parking lot near Greensboro, then shot five more people before killing herself.

Guilford County Sheriff BJ Barnes said Monday the gunwoman, 36-year-old Mary Ann Holder, is dead, along with her 17-year-old son. Her boyfriend, another son, his girlfriend, a niece and a nephew were all wounded. Four of them remain in critical condition.

Barnes says Holder confronted her boyfriend just before 9 a.m. and shot him in the shoulder. An hour later, deputies found Holder and she shot herself and one of her sons. Investigators at Holder's home then discovered the other four victims.

Barnes says Holder left behind two notes admitting to the shootings and apologizing for her actions

Previous Story

Guilford County deputies plan to release more information about a woman who killed one person and wounded five others near Greensboro before turning the gun on herself.

Sheriff BJ Barnes said the shootings Sunday morning near Pleasant Garden appear to be a domestic incident.

Barnes says the shootings happened in three different places and four of the victims are younger than 18.

The sheriff said that as of Sunday afternoon, three of the injured were on life support.

Barnes says he expects to release more information about the shootings at a news conference Monday morning.

• by 40some on Nov 22, 2011 at 08:23 PM
    These are the fruits of some poorly sown seeds. All these people dead from what? A love triangle. A married man having an affair. I blame him just as much. This woman may have been able to find the love of her life while she was wasting her time with this man. Situation never had to happen. Poor choices.
  • by A woman and a mom on Nov 22, 2011 at 07:46 PM
    You know I just finish reading the last report. Now im thinking about the family that has to put these kids and this woman to rest. Its not enough that they the family is hurting but now have to worry about paying the expenses of a funeral not for just one person but for four individuals
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Nov 22, 2011 at 01:53 PM
    This woman may have had mental health issues, been on medication for such, and some of those medications actually cause abnormal breakdowns; in this case, she had one. Obviously, no one in their right state of mind would drive around intentionally killing their children. She had a real problem that went ignored. She committed suicide, so she can't tell anyone what made her do it. I bet the survivors will have their stories to tell, so let us be patient for more information.
  • by Sunshine on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    This is a sad story. Innocent children are dead or seriously injured in a senseless unecessary shooting. And many of you have missed the point and not read the article correctly. She shot her married lover. First place she should not been with someone elses husband. Secondly to kill your children, the children of your deceased sister that was left in your care is plan crazy. Not that much love in the world to make me shoot children or myself. Let us pray for the surviving victims and let's pray that God will bring them through and they can receive the counseling they will need.
  • by Disgusted Location: ENC on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    This woman had some serious mental issues apparently. But I don't care what happened to her, there is NO reason to take these children's lives too. May these children rest in peace. I know their mother will not.
  • by Really??? Location: Bertie on Nov 22, 2011 at 09:23 AM
    I wonder how seriously injured the ex bf was? Who knows, he could have done all the shooting and killing and made it look like a murder/suicide... Just saying!
  • by AK47 on Nov 21, 2011 at 02:52 PM
    She should have made sure the boyfriend was dead...I don't know why she shot the kids, that's inexcusable. If the "other woman" was in on this, she should have made them dig their own graves first and then shot them.
  • by A woman and a mom on Nov 21, 2011 at 01:04 PM
    U know im free to make my comment just like you are. I wrote how I felt. And I stand by every word I said. This is a comment page. At this point it dont matter what or how you feel. This woman has taken anothere life. A child that trust and love her. And after reading these kids alreadt lost there mom. Please!!!!!!
  • by A woman and a mom on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM
      by Donna on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM in reply to A woman and a mom
      Amen!!
  • by Donna on Nov 21, 2011 at 09:42 AM
    I'm confused. The headline reads that the woman killed her boyfriend. But when you read the story, it says she killed her 17 year old son. WITN please confirm.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Nov 21, 2011 at 01:03 PM in reply to Donna
      She killed her lover, then returned to two addresses, one her own, and shot her children, sister's child, and a niece.
        by Donna on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:54 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        WITN changed the headline and cleared the confusion. The bf is in the hospital so she did not kill him as the original headline stated.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134227958 - witn.com/a?a=134227958