Cops: NC Man Tried To Set His Brother On Fire

A Fayetteville man has been arrested after authorities say he tried to set his brother on fire.

Police say 39-year-old Roderick Mardell Whitted has been charged with attempted first-degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.

Police say Roderick Whitted woke his brother and asked for a ride to the store to buy more alcohol at around 2 a.m. Friday, after a night of drinking. When he said no, police say Whitted threw gasoline on his brother and tried to set him on fire.

The gasoline didn't ignite, and the brother wasn't injured.

Whitted was being held in jail on $100,000 bond. It wasn't known if he had an attorney.

• by 250 Location: Jax on Dec 11, 2011 at 01:48 PM
    This puts a whole new twist to the phrase; "Let's go burn one". LOL
  • by Anonymous on Dec 11, 2011 at 06:35 AM
    Last 3 comments are totally ignorant. What that jerk did anyone would remember. Grow up.
      by Anonymous on Dec 11, 2011 at 08:22 AM in reply to
      Oh lighten up - oops, pardon the pun!
      by 40some on Dec 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM in reply to
      You shouldn't be flaming folks for their comments.
        by Burn! on Dec 12, 2011 at 01:47 PM in reply to 40some
        You should be "fired" for such a remark.
      by 40some on Dec 11, 2011 at 08:24 PM in reply to
      Joking aside, I've heard of folks who've woke up and lost their car, their wallet, and didn't know what state they were in. If I were you, not knowing about the affects of alchohol, you shouldn't drink.
  • by tybo Location: enc on Dec 11, 2011 at 06:13 AM
    that boy wanted a beer REAL bad. I don't think they serve it in jail. He most likely doesn't remember this cruel act.
  • by Childhood days on Dec 11, 2011 at 05:31 AM
    Kinda reminds me of my brother and I when we were young teens. We had sword fights with gas soaked tobacco sticks....AWESOME fun! No burns sustained, but a few shirts destroyed. Dad spanked the crap out of us.
      by Me, Too! on Dec 12, 2011 at 01:46 PM in reply to Childhood days
      My best friend & I use to shoot Roman Candles at each other. Although I don't suggest anyone do it...It was some of the best fun I've ever had. Roman Candle Wars!
  • by Anonymous on Dec 11, 2011 at 03:27 AM
    Dumb drunk dont know at 2:00AM or past you cant purchase booze legally?
  • by Goober Location: Mt Airey on Dec 10, 2011 at 08:48 PM
    Like I been sayin,that ethanol gas aint worth nuttin!
  • by josey Location: kinston on Dec 10, 2011 at 06:38 PM
    Should have taken the lighter and gave him the hot foot when he went to sleep.
  • by country girl on Dec 10, 2011 at 06:05 PM
    and they say drugs are our only problem. Alcohol has torn apart just as many families as any drug.
      by Huh? on Dec 10, 2011 at 08:23 PM in reply to country girl
      Who are "they"? Who told you drugs are a problem? Alcohol is a drug, too! Unwanted/unplanned pregnacies are a big problem, too. Murder and robbery is a big problem in Greenville. I don't believe Country Girl thinks before she posts...either that or she's out of touch with the rest of the world.
        by your crazy on Dec 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM in reply to Huh?
        what are you attacking country girl? "They" do so drugs are a problem "They" being the gov't who says it is illegal to posses illegal drugs. She never said alcohol wasn't a drug. Your ignorant and just feel like being mean to someone. You do this because you don't like her screen name because you don't like country people. That is the only explanation I can come up with.
          by Huh? on Dec 11, 2011 at 08:11 PM in reply to your crazy
          No Hate Here! Her statement made a clear seperation of alcohol & drugs (which I find offensive). I'm 100% FOR the legalization of Pot...but I'm against most other drugs (including alcohol). So, you make of that what you will...I'm not making a point nor defending a position, I'm just putting my opinion out there...just like everyone else. Not trying to hurt anyone. (sorry, Dixie!)
  • by Anonymous on Dec 10, 2011 at 05:23 PM
    so much for brotherly love
  • by pete Location: grifton on Dec 10, 2011 at 04:30 PM
    I guess he['s in for a long dry spell now.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135379048 - witn.com/a?a=135379048