Cops: Boy Found Electrocuted In Durham

Authorities say a boy died in an accidental electrocution in a wooded area in Durham.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reports that emergency medical service personnel and firefighters found the boy dead about 3 p.m. Saturday near Jordan High School.

Police did not give the boy's name, age or how he was electrocuted.

Authorities are still investigating the death. A Duke Energy power right of way parallels a road near where the boy was found, but it was not known whether that was involved in the boy's death.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by I climbed a tower on Jan 31, 2012 at 06:36 PM
    Back in 1978, I climbed to the top of a metal tower located in Trent Woods, by the river. We sat at the top and looked over at New Bern. It was fun! But I'd NEVER suggest anyone do it.
  • by Cassie on Jan 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Yes they were goofing off, but they were boys and that's what boys do. This boy went to my school and he was a very important part of our community and we love him very much.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    When we were kids, girls and boys, we strolled into the woods around our home a lot out of curiosity. When we first moved there, we accidentally walked right into an electric fence that wasn't visible, it was thin and inside brush. It shocked us alright, but we lived to tell the tale. We learned our lesson about exploring unknown territory. We also tried to climb the new water tower on high school property one day. We were almost to the top when someone's Dad drove by and yelled at us to 'GET DOWN! You can get killed doing that!' Going down was a lot harder too! Very sad this young guy didn't get to live through his youthful mistake.
  • by ENC on Jan 29, 2012 at 07:21 PM
    Very sad - Durham police are investigating how a 14-year-old boy died after his body was found in a wooded area Saturday afternoon. Neighbors said he was electrocuted while climbing an electrical tower.
  • by Greg Location: Craven on Jan 29, 2012 at 07:09 PM
    Duke power has a substation just adjacent to this school. Probably a 230,000 volt line feeding it. Static up there can kill you without touching a line.
  • by Saddened Location: Greenville on Jan 29, 2012 at 03:33 PM
    Sad, but according to sources other than WITN, 3 friends were goofing off in the woods when one decided to climb a high voltage tower. Youthful ignorance from the way it sounds.
  • by Riff Raff on Jan 29, 2012 at 01:59 PM
    I'm thinking copper related.
    • reply
      by Saddened on Jan 29, 2012 at 03:34 PM in reply to Riff Raff
      Unfortunately, that is what come to mind first when we hear of something related to wiring but not always, this time, seems it may just be foolish teens.
    • reply
      by this is not the story on Jan 29, 2012 at 03:54 PM in reply to Riff Raff
      not copper related at all, if WITN would actually report the news instead of the garbage they put up here, you would know what happened and not have to make a wild guess like you did. check the Raligh news sites, they have all the details.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 29, 2012 at 01:47 PM
    wral.com has more details.
  • by lulu Location: greenville on Jan 29, 2012 at 01:09 PM
    somethin is straaaange here.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138293314 - witn.com/a?a=138293314
Gray Television, Inc.