Concealed Guns Allowed In NC Parks Law Gets Mixed Reaction

In just a couple of months a new state law goes into effect that will allow people with permits to carry concealed handguns to do so in parks.

It's a change supporters say will help protect people from those wanting to do harm, but others are worried about the safety of their children in parks, saying the guns could be pulled out to quickly or go off accidentally.

Greenville City Council members say there are some notable restrictions to the new law. Guns won't be allowed in "recreational facilities" like playgrounds, athletic fields or pools, but they will be allowed on greenways, trails and campgrounds. Councilwoman Marion Blackburn says she's upset by the law because it takes away the right of cities to decide what's best for their population.

"The legislature basically gave us less authority than a private property owner. In other words, you have places where you're going to expect lots of people - parks, shopping malls. A shopping mall owner can prohibit a concealed weapon in that shopping center. And yet we as a city can not prohibit concealed weapons in our parks," said Blackburn.

Others told us they like the law, because people who intend to harm others in parks with guns will have guns on them whether they're allowed to or not.

• by ace Location: j ville on Oct 15, 2011 at 07:06 AM
    The council woman stated "It takes away the rights of government to protect the population"> What a wrong statement. The police can only take action after a law has been broken. They need to pass a law that protects us (the people) from politicians. Look what has happen, 10% unemployment, county on verge of going broke, fighting a war for 10 years, giving loans to companys that clearly cannot manage themselves, and in greenville it seems that someone gets shot ever other day. Let me tell you the people in greenville that are doing the shootings could not get a weapon leaglley in the first place. It the goverfnment only enforced the laws they have in place it would be a better town.
  • by Wolfgang Location: Chocowinity,NC on Oct 14, 2011 at 07:20 PM
    If a bear was going to attack me and my family. In a state park. I would rather have a ' 44 mag ' then a snow ball!
  • by Carry On on Oct 14, 2011 at 02:23 PM
    A law abiding citizen is restricted, but a thug is under no restrictions. That is really stupid!
  • by Vince Location: Washington on Oct 14, 2011 at 02:06 PM
    I hear Ms. Blackburn is also opposed to folks carrying condoms with them in public areas. She afraid someone will misuse one and get someone else pregnant.
  • by Carl Kolchack Location: Pitt County on Oct 14, 2011 at 01:12 PM
    I carry a legally concealed weapon with me nearly everywhere I go. My weapon is a danger to no one unless they are trying to do me harm.
  • by Dave Location: Wilson on Oct 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    The liberals use the same tired arguments over and over again. And they are false each and every time. Despite their repeated claims that allowing law abiding citizens to carry weapons was somehow going to turn them into vicious criminals shooting at everything it has not happened.
  • by dw Location: Greenville on Oct 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    .....the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. My copy of the bill of rights and 2nd amendment doesn't say:.... except in schools, assemblies and establishments, state buildings, parks, events occuring in public places, etc etc etc.... There are already too many infringements.
  • by Blake on Oct 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
  • by Matthew Location: Columbia on Oct 14, 2011 at 09:48 AM
    Just a reminder. A person who has a concealed handgun permit has been through classes and state and federal background checks and approved by the Sherrif of their county. What has the rest of the people walking around the community been through?
  • by Charles Location: Chocowinity on Oct 14, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    Persons who attend and complete the classes for concealed carry are LAW ABIDING CITIZENS. Persons who carry without a legal permit are OUTLAWS. Do I really have to explain all the ramafications of these two opposing realities? And since when do Americans need politicians to decide "what is best" for them? When I was a child growing up in NC robberies were rare and murder virtually unheard of. Today, these crimes are a everyday fact of life. You are not safe in an IHOP, or in a Sheets parking lot. Never heard of a rape, robbery, or murder in a park? You don't read the same news outlets that I do. I support people with a concealed carry permits' right to carry EVERY WHERE THEY GO. If crime breaks out near me I hope a carrying concealed carry person is nearby, no matter where I am. I do not knock local police, I am appreciative of their service. However, commom sense tells me they cannot be everywhere every-when. I wish more citizens would complete concealed carry training, and I day dream about a society where every citizen could have a clean enough legal history to be able to qualify for concealed carry. If that were reality no one would need to. That is not the world we live in, so,...carry on.
      by REM on Oct 14, 2011 at 08:52 AM in reply to Charles
      Finally, someone (who doesn't seem to carry a handgun) understands! Thank you!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131834543 - witn.com/a?a=131834543