Columbus County Store Clerk Kills Would-Be Robber

Police say a store employee in Columbus County has shot and killed a would-be robber.

The Fayetteville Observer reported that Lake Waccamaw Police chief Scott Hyatt says the employee shot an armed man during a holdup attempt Wednesday.

The 20-year-old man died several hours later. His name has not been released.

Hyatt says the man was armed but did not have a gun when he went into Waccamaw Outdoor Supply and confronted an employee.

The man was shot once and was taken to Columbus Regional Healthcare in Whiteville, and later was transferred to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington where he died.

Hyatt says he does not expect to file charges against the employee.

• by Matt Location: Greenville on Jan 13, 2012 at 02:59 PM
    I am amazed that there aren't more liberals on here crying. It is rather refreshing. If we had more people willing and able to stand up for themselves, and others, this world would be a much better place. I don't know how anyone can argue against concealed carry laws. The FBI statistics are clear, the more concealed carry permits, the less crime. If these thugs understand that the next time they mess with someone they might just get introduced to a pair of Federal Hydra-Shoks. I know how hard it is to take a life in your own defense and I feel for the employee in that regard. However, as far as I am concerned, once someone has threatened the life of my friends, family, or myself then they are no longer acceptable in society and have forfeited their "right" to live.
  • by Craig Location: G-Vegas on Jan 13, 2012 at 05:08 AM
    Reading all these comments I have to say that you people seem a little to "over excited" about this. It is unfortunate that someone had to die and there is nothing cool about it. However, I do agree that deadly force is justified in cases like this. In fact, I would like to see KFC, Bojangles, etc... have an employee that is trained and carries a concealed weapon on every shift.
      by Unfortunate? on Jan 13, 2012 at 03:50 PM in reply to Craig
      No, it's old justice! You're just not accustomed to it. Shocking as it might seem, the old west was full of "gunned down" criminals. Nothing wrong with it, as far as I see. It actually seems rightious and proper.
  • by Bouttime on Jan 12, 2012 at 07:09 PM
    Bet he don't get robbed again!!! You got to protect whats yours cause thanks to all these fine judges letting these crimanal go with a smack on the hand things are not gonna get any better. Way to go for taking a stand maybe everyone else will follow suit. Come up on me and see what I am packing!!
  • by john Location: farmville on Jan 12, 2012 at 07:01 PM
    lets take this person to dinner
      by Better Idea on Jan 13, 2012 at 03:47 PM in reply to john
      Send him some bullets.
  • by Ken Location: Rocky Mount on Jan 12, 2012 at 06:41 PM
    Sounds like one shot, one kill.....Awesome!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 12, 2012 at 05:27 PM
    Sends the right message "do this at risk to your life." Deterent - well that depends on how the thug thinks of his own life. I think most would think twice if they even thought their prey were armed, ready and able to defend themselves. Greenville shop owners need to do the same. Drop them where they stand, one bad guy off the streets for good too bad its not in greenville.
  • by Me on Jan 12, 2012 at 04:31 PM
    More store owners need to do the same thing in Greenville!!! That would deter all these thugs robbing the fast food places!! Has anyone heard of Lee's Country Store being robbed again??? NO!!! They know he will shoot!!!!!
  • by Anonymous Location: NB on Jan 12, 2012 at 03:24 PM
    So glad the clerk is ok, can't imagine how traumatic it is to go through a robbery. Sad for the family of the robber, maybe they aren't surprised, but still sad for them.
  • by 40some on Jan 12, 2012 at 02:49 PM
    I hope the clerk peed on the body.
      by melvin on Jan 12, 2012 at 04:22 PM in reply to 40some
      ...and was smart enough not to post the video online! #idiotsoldiers
        by 40some on Jan 12, 2012 at 07:08 PM in reply to melvin
        No Melvin, not soldiers, we're too smart. It was marines that taped it.
  • by Tim Location: Greenville on Jan 12, 2012 at 01:49 PM
    So glad that there are NO supporters of the robber. Im surprised his family isn't commenting on how he was a good person, but just went down the wrong path. Blah blah blah..... One up for the good guy. GAME OVER for the bad guy

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137171208 - witn.com/a?a=137171208