Chocowinity Teacher To Compete For NC Teacher Of The Year

By: Dave Jordan/Brittany Gunter
By: Dave Jordan/Brittany Gunter

A teacher in the east got one big surprise Friday afternoon when she thought the 8th grade was meeting for an assembly. It turns out they were really meeting to honor her.

Chocowinity Middle School teacher Lisa Staats has been named regional teacher of the year. Back in October she was named Beaufort County Teacher of the Year. Staats recently interviewed for the regional award, but she had no idea until Friday that she had won.

Staats family, along with her co-workers, students, and the current North Carolina Teacher of The Year, met to honor Staats and surprise her.

There are over 97,000 teachers in North Carolina. Staats will now go on to compete for the title of North Carolina Teacher of The Year.

• by Jo Ann Mozingo Location: Chocowinity on Dec 19, 2011 at 08:12 PM
    Congrats to Mrs. Statts, she is an awesome teacher, I know her from when I drove a bus and sub at CMS. You deserve it (Lisa Statts)
  • by Anon on Dec 18, 2011 at 07:06 PM
    There you people go again AND AGAIN!!!!! You people don't quit even when caught; you just keep on with the story and you're sticking to it!! lol
  • by To What? on Dec 18, 2011 at 07:06 AM
    Spare me! There you people go again!!
  • by TEACHER Location: Greenville on Dec 18, 2011 at 06:00 AM
    As a teacher, I will tell you that I spend entirely to much of my salary on school supplies and items needed to meet the expectations set by the state to provide hands on instruction for my students (which I am being evaluated on daily). The methods implemented by the state work for most students, however, we are being asked to do more, being held to a higher standard, and not being provided the necessary means to implement without going in the red to do so. Every year more is added. Reality is, "WE CAN NOT UNDO IN ONE YEAR WHAT HAS BEEN CREATED, OVER THE YEARS OF DAMAGE/LACK OF SUPPORT, SINCE BIRTH! This is why I will not be teaching next year. I am not the only one either, many educators within Pitt County are going to being exiting at the end of this year. As for the topic, Ms. Williams, I commend you and pray that you become NC's Teacher of the Year~ What an honor and all I have heard about you and your abilities, it is very deserving. Congratulations~!!!!
  • by What? Location: Washington on Dec 17, 2011 at 07:50 PM
    @anon, what in the world are you talking about? I taught school for 10 years, and I spent LOTS of my own money, because, yes, the State didn't have the money, and neither did the County. You obviously have no clue. Oh, and the NEA/NCAE don't tell people what to say.
  • by Anon on Dec 17, 2011 at 03:52 PM
    A bitter teacher? Don't think so! I'm just tired of hearing teachers harp on they have to buy classroom supplies for their students with their own money because "the State doesn't spend enough on education". The NEA and NCAE tell them to do a pittance for credibility and tell them to say that.
      by TEACHER on Dec 18, 2011 at 06:04 AM in reply to Anon
      TO: Anon on Dec 17, 2011 at 06:52 PM You are seemingly uneducated or ignorant, not sure which. Before you post, you really need to find out the facts. Wow, you really should be ashamed or embarressed, perhaps play like a turtle and hide in your shell why don't you!
  • by Thomas Location: Chocowinty on Dec 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    Dude I heard them screamming from all the way from Ms Williams classroom congrats on the award!!!!!!!! :)
  • by Sub Location: Eastern Carolina on Dec 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    Is it me or does Anonymous sound like a BITTER Teacher who didn't win. Besides, even if she did use her own money that's her choice. Our Teachers don't have the resources given to them to get supplies etc. to each student. So, CONGRATS!!..on whatever she did and I hope she becomes N.C. Teacher of the year!
  • by Anonymous on Dec 17, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Don't tell me! She used her own money to buy classroom supplies for her students. Gee, I wonder how I guessed that one?
  • by Megan Location: Chocowinity on Dec 17, 2011 at 09:35 AM
    She really deserved it! :D

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135771563 - witn.com/a?a=135771563