Apartment Complex For Homeless Opens In Charlotte

A 10-year plan to find homes for the chronically homeless in North Carolina's largest city is gaining momentum.

A complex of 85 efficiency apartments and on-site support services is now open in Charlotte.

Moore Place's director is Caroline Chambre, a Charlotte native who managed a similar program in New York City that was the nation's largest. Chambre says Moore Place offers a cost-effective solution to homelessness since it can house someone permanently for less than 30 dollars a night.

Moore Place offers residents counseling, job training, instruction on how to manage their money. A full-time nurse and part-time physician will offer health care at the site.

Residents pay 30 percent of their income toward rent.

The $10 million cost came primarily from private funds.

• by Sadly True on Jan 30, 2012 at 05:26 PM
    How is this different from the "projects." It gives free housing to people that either can't work and care for themselves and those who won't.
  • by pooe on Jan 30, 2012 at 02:32 PM
    How much would it cost to keep a doctor at your home? Home, food, and medical care at home for 30% plus all other incidentals sounds like a good deal.
  • by My Comments on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    I've been noticing that my comments don't get posted much anymore. I think WITN has become too strict with their censoring. I thought this was a place to share opinions. I guess my opinion isn't appreciated or welcome anymore.
      by ralphie on Jan 30, 2012 at 04:02 PM in reply to My Comments
      a bunch of mine are censored too. Sometimes, reposting them a few ours later they do get up....tells me shift change!
  • by Evicted on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    It will be an endless cycle. After they move in they are not homeless anymore and can't stay there. They will be evicted, once again making them homeless. Hope it has a revolving door.
  • by Al Location: To 2 previous comments/posters: on Jan 30, 2012 at 09:13 AM
    You both missed it. The residents will have to pay 30 percent of their INCOME. It doesn't say unemployed it says homeless. There are some very educated and hard working people that have lost their homes. Peop;e that have a lot to offer society but may have lost their home due to job loss or dishonest banks. What better placd then Charlotte the home office of Bank of Ameriva. I know Bandk of Am will feel better being able to look out the window of their highrise office to see tha the people that they may have put out of their homes will now have a home.
      by Really? - DC on Jan 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM in reply to Al
      Logic does not work on this message board
        by Goober on Jan 30, 2012 at 04:39 PM in reply to Really? - DC
        Well said. Glad to see another person with some sense here.
  • by Jeff on Jan 30, 2012 at 08:39 AM
    Looks like I should quit my job and become homeless, then someone will give me all kinds of free stuff.
      by n on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM in reply to Jeff
      That is a jerk thing to say.
      by anonymous on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM in reply to Jeff
      Your mocking comment is disgusting! Have you ever been homeless? My family and I have. Some people tend to view homeless people as second-class citizens who choose to be homeless. Some do. However, many of them are homeless because of circumstances out of their control - like job loss, etc. Some of the homeless are mentally incapable of living fully in society and they get very little help - from anyone. So before you assume that being homeless gets free stuff, you should go downtown in your city or town and ask the homeless if they actually get anything for free, without the insults, stupid looks, or anything else degrading to mankind.
        by n on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM in reply to anonymous
        Thank You anonymous. It is a complete shame that people have no compassion for others. They will hold their 1st amendment right high above your head while they kick you in the crotch. I will be the last one to thump a Bible in anothers face, but Jesus was compassionate wasn't he.
      by Might As Well on Jan 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM in reply to Jeff
      Yes, if you really think homeless people live like kings then perhaps you should. You might learn some compassion.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138322824 - witn.com/a?a=138322824