Abuse Probe At NC School For The Deaf Begins

A state investigation is under way into allegations whether students were abused or neglected at the North Carolina School for the Deaf in Morganton.

Health and Human Services Secretary Lanier Cansler announced on Friday a team of people from inside and outside the agency will conduct the probe. The investigation follows a report that the advocacy group Disability Rights North Carolina presented to Cansler earlier this week.

The report alleged two students were assaulted by teachers, while another student was restrained with excessive force by a staff member. The report said staff at the state-run residential school failed to investigate the allegations properly and alert social services to possible abuse.

The department said school director Janet McDaniel was suspended with pay during the investigation, which could last at least 30 days.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 98645404 - witn.com/a?a=98645404