Perdue To Meet With NCHP Leadership

North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue wants to talk to the leadership of the Highway Patrol in the wake of several cases of trooper misconduct.

Perdue's office said she will meet with about 160 members of the force's leadership Wednesday.

Perdue spokeswoman Chrissy Pearson says they will discuss plans to start the process of repairing the Highway Patrol's reputation. She declined to discuss details.

The meeting comes just a couple weeks after the force's top spokesman resigned after sending inappropriate text messages to a co-worker. One trooper resigned recently after being charged with drunken driving while another was fired after being pulled over on suspicion of drunken driving.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by To Tired on Jul 7, 2010 at 02:56 PM
    To Tired, Also if you think the military is not a real job, you need to come do it for yourself. You obviously have some personal issues here. Try leaving your family, home and everything you know for 7-18 months at a time. Not to mention all the work involved prior to deployments etc. If you think the military isnt a real job, I feel for you. Maybe you should take a good look in the mirror.
  • by To Tired on Jul 7, 2010 at 01:46 PM
    Tired, If you have no more support for the military than that, maybe you should relocate to another country. Do disgrace those who serve and have lost their lives serving this country so you can be here.
  • by hmm on Jul 7, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    Also, be sure to tell the troopers that I got rid of my white Mustang, so they dont have to worry about pulling it over for no reason anymore.
  • by Tired Location: Greenville on Jul 7, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    Most of the troopers cannot find jobsand are not smart enough to enter any other profession or college. Ex soldiers or marines - the same. Why did you join in the first place - again - not smart enough to get a real job or enter college. Cannon fodder for the military.
  • by Greg Location: Greenville on Jul 7, 2010 at 09:14 AM
    Don't turn your back on them Bev. they are animals
  • by Anonymous on Jul 7, 2010 at 07:53 AM
    why don't you ask her about the trooper she used to ride around with,she'll know.
  • by Future NCSHP on Jul 7, 2010 at 07:43 AM
    To Johnny B. Goode, Alot of Troopers are "former" military. I will be getting out of the Marines and seeking employment with the NCSHP. As for your last sentence: "if you want to be a real soldier, sign up for the marine corp!"... Soldiers are in the army, Marines or in the Marine Corps... get it right next time.
  • by Allan Location: Durham on Jul 7, 2010 at 07:42 AM
    I have my doubts that Perdue's little "talk" will change much - if anything. I mean come on... who does all of her "special security details"? The NCHP - that's who. If anything she'll probably just serve to royally piss these guys off and they'll unfortunately probably take it out on their subordinates. Not to mention these supervisors reactions will probably end up causing a "ripple effect" that will ultimately trickle all they way down to the next few drivers they all stop. Especially those that "dare" to question a trooper's reason for the stop! Hope I'm wrong but human nature is sure to prevail when you've had your behind chewed and had an otherwise bad year. Especially when you "haven't" done anything wrong. So drive carefully folks! For a good while I'm guessing too! And Earl... I certainly have to agree with you. You also gave me a good laugh for the day. Thanx
  • by Johnny B. Goode Location: Washington on Jul 7, 2010 at 07:24 AM
    What a shame 90% of the Troopers give the other 10% a bad name. The NCSHP used to be the best in the Nation. To fix the problem, heads should roll from the top of the department. As for the Troopers on the streets? They need to understand they are not the tough guy soilders they think they are. You are civilians! If you want to be a real soilder, sign up for The Marine Corp!
  • by me Location: here on Jul 7, 2010 at 07:07 AM
    The highway patrol was doing just fine before she came in office and then put her people as the leaders of the NCHP. Maybe she should have thought twice before making her changes...Goes to show what politics will do for ya!
  • Page:

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 97919854 -
Gray Television, Inc.