AG Holder In NC: More Work Needed On Civil Rights

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder says the country still suffers from racial inequality in everything from unemployment to the length of prison terms.

Holder spoke at a conference in Raleigh to mark the 50th anniversary of the founding of pioneering civil rights group the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee.

Georgia congressman John Lewis said civil rights veterans should act as a counterbalance to the conservative Tea Party movement. Lewis is a former chairman of the organization and told the crowd the commitment they showed as young people is still needed.

Holder is the nation's first black attorney general. He told the conference he wants to help erase disparities that create persistent suspicions the legal system is tilted against nonwhites.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Apr 24, 2010 at 02:31 PM
    Holder, like so many democrats, are in the business of keeping the black society down. You notice so many successful blacks, don't associate with the less fortunite. Take Obama, 5% to charity? He made millions while his half brother lives in a shack. I guess we are supposed to be like Lavon and not notice what he is doing. You know, being stupid and unaware and yet, be proud of it. He plays in the sandbox, after the cat goes there eating tootsie rolls and pulling the ring on his Obama Doll....nothing says sucker, like sucker.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    All this guy is saying is keep the Kool-Aid coming, don't account for your own actions or responsibilities,and keep keeping the black man down because how else would we be able to allow them to continue their learned way of life.
  • by McArthur Park on Apr 18, 2010 at 09:37 PM
    Holder is a village idiot!
  • by Cactus Location: Strabane on Apr 18, 2010 at 05:14 PM
    Lavon, do tell, you are taking time off from your obama shrine and obama idol (obama blow up doll) to enlighten we poor ignorant racist, thank you. Did you pay your obama taxes or are you part of the 47% that that depends on the other 53%. Don't forget to clean out your sand box, cats you know.
  • by Obama Snake Oil co Location: Washington on Apr 18, 2010 at 04:16 PM
    Lavon, the day you understand that people have the right to express their opine, will be the day you become and American. I am an American, thick skinned and robust enough to take anything thrown at me. Even you whinny little insults that put you playing in the sandbox. You have the same opportunity and more than most yet you play the race card way too often. Tell you what bro, let me play the card when it needs be called, in the meantime, pull the string on your Barrack Doll and admire in amazement.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2010 at 02:46 PM
    Oh, good grief...people can live wherever they choose and they do. Im not moving cause Im surrounded by blacks or whites. That is so stupid. If you do not like being a minority....MOVE! Its a free country and I do not feel sorry for too many people here. Well, its kinda free til OBAMA TOTALLY RUINS IT.
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Apr 18, 2010 at 02:04 PM
    Ofg course he's telling the truth, after all look at these comments and that tells all right there..
  • by Anonymous Location: Martin county on Apr 18, 2010 at 01:18 PM
    Just read our Enterprise. The city is about to annex an area that has 231 residents with 7 black residents. In the article they discussed "diluting" the voting population and how most blacks don't vote. The annexation is about keeping a white majority in place for the town of Williamston's elite. Just read your back issues from March. They publicly stated their intent. The sad part is that no one is up in arms because of the good ole' boys network.
  • by to Anti-terrorists on Apr 18, 2010 at 01:04 PM
    Instead of calling people names. How about take a few classes so I can read and understand your comment? Talk about giving me a headache.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    To Transparent Obama:You are right.We can see right threw him.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 91280389 - witn.com/a?a=91280389
Gray Television, Inc.