Mother, Three Children Suffer Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Home

Multiple media outlets report the Charlotte family was rescued Sunday evening after a neighbor's carbon monoxide detector went off.

Upstairs neighbor Edward Kennedy said he called 911 after he realized where the smoke was coming from and knocked on their door without an answer.

Charlotte Fire Department Capt. Mark Basnight said the mother had been cooking vegetables on a charcoal grill inside.

Firefighters found the four inside, semiconscious and unable to move. The children were ages 10 and under.

Their condition at a Charlotte hospital was unknown.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anon on Jan 7, 2010 at 05:08 PM
    Cooking on a charcoal grill inside of the house. How dumb can you get!! I hope she doesn't have a driver's license.
  • by Cactus Location: Strabane on Jan 4, 2010 at 03:30 PM
    Lady you hit on it "common sense". I wonder if she could read? There are warnings on every thing that she would needed to fire up the charcoal, really makes you wonder about people. I hope they take time to thank the neighbor.
  • by KMJ Location: LA on Jan 4, 2010 at 01:50 PM
    How stupid. Good job to the neighbor.
  • by Ann Location: Pitt County on Jan 4, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    Hope they all recover quickly. This mother made a hugh mistake that could have cost all of them their lives. Kudos to the neighbor that helped them. This does not make this mother a bad woman she just didn't use common sense. Give the lady a break please. Just be thankful that she didn't kill someone.
  • by Truth Location: Reality on Jan 4, 2010 at 09:52 AM
    LMAO. Geez... Really? Always good to have a little comic relief...
  • by Audra Location: SoCal on Jan 4, 2010 at 09:38 AM
    No, I agree with Brenda. I've lived without power before, and I knew better than the use a charcoal grill inside. Instructions NOT to are on any package for a grill, AND on the package for charcoal, AND on containers of lighter fluid, AND on chimney starter labels... There's no excuse for this. It is true that some people should not have children. This applies to so many things in life: Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
  • by SassyMom Location: ENC on Jan 4, 2010 at 09:26 AM
    This "mother" made a huge mistake. Perhaps she is not the most intelligent person. But REALLY???? Grills are meant to be OUTSIDE!! Common sense should have been used here. I hope that they will be okay and that no longterm effects will come from the Carbon Monoxide exposure.
  • by To Brenda, Again on Jan 4, 2010 at 05:33 AM
    I was mistaken... it did say she was cooking inside. But I still don't think we should call her a bad mother for trying to feed her children. Maybe she doesn't have power, but that was stupid to cook on the charcoal grill inside.
  • by To Brenda on Jan 4, 2010 at 05:31 AM
    Now...this is what I want to know from you. Do you know this woman? If not, how can you possibly say she was stupid or should not have had children. From what I read, it looks like she was trying to feed the children a healthy meal (vegetables)by cooking on the grill "outside". It's people like you that get on this site for the sole purpose of making negative comments when you don't know the full story. Let's just be glad they are alive and can recover from this. By the way, if you have children, did you feed them this week?
  • by Brenda on Jan 4, 2010 at 04:17 AM
    I hope these children recover. A sure case of someone who never should have had children, how absolutely stupid can you be? No common sense or regard for these poor babies.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 80568547 - witn.com/a?a=80568547
Gray Television, Inc.