7th Person Arrested In Turkey Animal Cruelty Case

A seventh person has been arrested on charges related to an animal cruelty case at a Butterball turkey farm in Hoke County.

Brian Douglas of Raeford was arrested Thursday after being charged last week with cruelty to animals. Six Butterball workers have been charged, five of them with animal cruelty.

The case comes after an animal rights group used a hidden camera to videotape workers kicking, dragging and throwing turkeys.

Butterball says four employees have been fired and two others suspended.

A state agriculture official who tipped off the company about the cruelty case, Sarah Mason, has pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice. She was sentenced last week to one year of probation and was suspended for two weeks without pay.

• by Les Nesman Location: WKRP, Cincinatti on Feb 26, 2012 at 02:21 AM
    "As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
  • by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 03:43 PM
    I agree with Uncle Sam. Are we going to arrest everyone who eat turkeys too? It is a slaughter house. Unless the way they are so call abusing turkeys will hurt the consumer I don't see the problem
  • by Bullmoose Location: Country on Feb 24, 2012 at 03:24 PM
    For all you bleeding hearts, " Let's ask the turkey how he fills" oh wait, he is headless now and don't really care.
      by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM in reply to Bullmoose
      Of course it's headless.. how else will it fill.. with stuffing.
  • by Bullmoose Location: Country on Feb 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM
  • by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    I worked at a tyson hog farm back in the early 80's and let me tell you if you did not get rough with them stubborn sows you could not get your job done.I dont know what it is like on this turkey farm but I am pretty sure that job aint know piece of cake working with a bunch of bird brains.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Amen, Uncle Sam! We are at the top of the food chain. I wish WITN had a 'like' button.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    It's called tenderizing!
  • by I will not eat butterball on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    People are no longer human. We have become a society of animals....
      by Chris on Feb 24, 2012 at 02:33 PM in reply to I will not eat butterball
      Humans are now, and have always been animals.
  • by Pete Location: Grifton on Feb 24, 2012 at 09:31 AM
    I gave you the head's up about butterball turkeys last september 2011.anybody listen?
  • by vettech Location: farmville on Feb 24, 2012 at 09:25 AM
    It doesn't matter what kind of animal it is...or if their days are numbered...they don't deserve to be abused.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140302513 - witn.com/a?a=140302513