$45,000 Grant Will Help Find New Uses For Abandoned, Lost Crab Pots

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- A grant of about $45,000 will go toward finding new uses for lost and abandoned crab pots.

The Daily News of Jacksonville reported that the Albemarle-Pamlico National Estuary Program is providing grants of more than $136,000 for three projects along coastal North Carolina, including the crab pots.

Researchers from the UNC Institute of Marine Sciences in Morehead City will recycle crab pots to create oyster reefs in North Carolina's low-salinity tidal creeks. The project will use crab pots recovered by the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries.

The North Carolina Coastal Federation received about $16,000 to naturally restore and protect the eroding shoreline at Jockey's Ridge State Park. The Nature Conservancy was awarded $74,500 for a hydrological restoration project at Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge and the Great Dismal Swamp.

• by The Gascons Location: Newport on Mar 4, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    Sell them to the public and use the money for other projects or to pay for gas for the Ferry Boats.
  • by Kathy on Jan 28, 2012 at 07:13 AM
    I think it is great that the biologists want to help with restoring oysters however I fund this using money that needs to be put elsewhere is crazy to me. I have often wondered why the biologists could not work with the commercial fisherman. The places where you want to put these artificial areas for the oysters you cannot oyster in anyway. please explain?
  • by Melvin Location: Jacksonville on Jan 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    I have a cheaper idea that doesn't need a government grant funded by taxpayers. Auction the pots off and one of the annual state excess property.
  • by ace Location: jville on Jan 16, 2012 at 05:12 AM
    If you made the fisherman accountable like making them pay a fine for all unaccounted for pots. The number lost pots would decrease immediately.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 15, 2012 at 05:13 PM
    I'm commercial fishermen, been one since I was a kid. I've worked for other people and now own my own boat and gear. I gurantee that when I take my pots up for the year, all my pots are out of the water, that are capable of getting. Many variables factor into lost pots, tide changes, storms etc. pull buoys under, causing them to not be found until they resurface. But I can honestly say, besides a natural thing like a hurricane scattering the pots. Recreational boaters contribute the most to the lose of my gear, not caring or just simply not knowing they're riding wide open in shallow waters running over ropes cutting them, making pots nearly impossible to find. Some want to talk about repairs it costs them? Try to maintain a boat that has to work 7 days a week. There are some commercial fishermen who are guilty of abandoning their gear, target that single individual. Not us as a whole.
      by businessman on Jan 15, 2012 at 07:01 PM in reply to
      We rec boaters just ask that you keep them on the other side of the markers so we don't hit them when we speed by.
        by brian on Jan 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM in reply to businessman
        Huh? Markers? Oh you mean channel markers? I pretty certain no one puts pots in the marked channel, maybe ones that drift in because of waves or extremely high moon tides. I am pretty certain laws state no pots in the channel and after June all pots must be within a certain yardage from shore.....LONG AWAY from channels of any kind. Businessman, we comms just ask you don't be ignorant and respect hard working commercial fishermens gear while you are out being a weekend warrior or learn to drive a boat.
          by Bloke on Jan 16, 2012 at 04:53 AM in reply to brian
          Brian, you are assuming that all commercial fisherman follow the laws. You are also assuming that it is the "weekend warrior" that is messing up your pots. Did you ever stop and think that maybe it is your competition cutting lines. Also very high tides wouldn't raise a pot and bounce it in the channel if it weren't so close to start with. Those pots are the ones that get hit by boats. Not every person that uses the water ways recreationally is incompetant. I for one pride myself in knowing the water ways, just as you do. Respect is earned and by thinking of and making comments like you have is why commercial and recreational people don't get along. BTW, I appreciate your hard work instead of sitting home doing nothing. I wish everyone would try and work as hard as you do.
        by Brian on Jan 16, 2012 at 08:01 AM in reply to businessman
        In responce to Bloke....so little do you know about commercial fishing as you stated" Also very high tides wouldn't raise a pot and bounce it in the channel if it weren't so close to start with." This Sir you are wrong, people use crabpots in let's say, Pungo Creek and River for the most part the crabber is in 4-8 ft of water most only have 12' of line, high moon tides can cause a a pot to float. Crabbers don't pin point exact spots to drop a pot, they follow either general knowledge, depths, and distance to set pots in a "line". In that line you are generally aiming say for 6' ....there is variances that may be 9' so leaving very little play in line. Until you walk the shoes of a crabber, don't even dare try to justify how things work. You guys watch way too much TV. I will admit yes there is vindictive crabbers who think it's their spot or whatever reason, they decide to cut your line.....but pretty certain those few people just don't cut the line and leave the pot in the water.....they instead cut just buoy off, and take the other persons $30 crab pot.I sugest maybe you try crabbing 600 pots day in day out various weather conditions etc before you try to justify or rationalize how crab pots become lost, abandoned. Good Day
          by Bloke on Jan 16, 2012 at 09:08 AM in reply to Brian
          Be that as it may, you will still have the few that do not have any business operating a boat and they will be the ones who complain. I am not judging how difficult your job is, but I did not choose your profession for you and the waterways are everyone's resource. Not just yours because you make you living from it. The article is expaining how to deal with a problem that is caused by your line of work. Don't try to explain it to me. Explain it to the Marine Patrol officers and the NCDMF.
  • by Brian Location: Bath on Jan 15, 2012 at 04:43 PM
    I want to say for all the negative ignorant comments made.....you guys really need to spend the day in the life of a commercial fisherman. If you only see and know what goes into WORKING the water you'd change your attitudes quick. Crabpots aren't just abandoned purposely. Storms, reckless powerboaters (weekenders) tidal changes, ropes that snap, wires that break, people ruthlessly cutting lines, renders 98% of the pots in question. The wording shouldn't be abandoned, should be "ghost pots" Have to question this, why would a commercial fisherman "abandon" something he has worked hard for to buy, by the 100's for fully rigged pot upward to $38 per pot. Little annoyed the fact you guys boohoo'd about your precious lower units on a boat that is used pretty weekends, when if you had been paying attention from say June to Oct, law states that crabpots are to be within 1000 yds of shore....(average 6ft of water) so if you are that dumb you go screaming into known crabpot areas...that is your fault. Don't blame commercial fishermen. Like I said...deal with it or become oen of those few remaining who provide those tastey meals for you and your family, God Bless
  • by Bob Location: ENC on Jan 15, 2012 at 04:00 PM
    Here's a suggestion for the abandoned crab pots, crush them & sell the metal to a scrap metal dealer. If you use my idea, I only charge 45 cents. Think of the savings! This $45,000 grant is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard of.
      by Brian on Jan 15, 2012 at 04:47 PM in reply to Bob
      Actually just your idea is ignorant. I think that any crabpot deemed for scrap, shall be put into a desinated pick up place for marine biologists to use for oyster reefing projects. This is a good way for all crabpots ready to be trashed be put to good use and not fill landfills. This reefing idea could benefit the recreational and commercial fishermen of this state greatly.
  • by yukon on Jan 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    make crabpot X-mas Trees and sell them Have you priced one way too expensive
  • by croaker on Jan 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    It is a shame NC fisherman have to go to VA to catch croakers due to over fishing by commercial fisherman
      by Rex on Jan 15, 2012 at 03:22 PM in reply to croaker
      Ummm..........What does that have to do with this article?
  • by me Location: Bayboro on Jan 15, 2012 at 09:01 AM
    Crab pot owners should be held accountable for all the crab pots they have. If the state can fine them the crab pot owner should be able to also. If he cannot account for them he should pay.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137372873 - witn.com/a?a=137372873