12-Year-Old NC Boy Drowns At Water Treatment Plant

A 12-year-old Garyburg boy has drowned after falling into a holding pond for treated waste water at a water treatment facility in Seaboard.

Police say more than a dozen children were playing near the facility Friday when Labrone Wade slipped on the black lining around the pond and fell into the water.

Authorities say other children jumped in and held a stick out for the boy to grab, but they could not save him.

Authorities searched for the boy Friday night but had to stop because of lightning. Rescue squads found his body on Saturday morning.

• by Jay Location: Greenville on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    I just want to know why the gate was open and why the kids were playing there in the first place. It can't be safe at any time whether a kid can swim or not. Someone please put up better safeguards before another tragedy happens.
  • by Barbara on Mar 19, 2012 at 03:13 AM
    My prayers go out to the family and friends of this child. I am so sorry for your loss due to this terrible accident. Special prayers also go out to the children who were with him and tried to save him. May God be with you all.
  • by Correction on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM
    Garysburg
  • by CC on Mar 18, 2012 at 03:25 PM
    Prayers go out to his family. Such a tragedy, especially at such a young age.
      by close friend of the family on Mar 18, 2012 at 04:40 PM in reply to CC
      working....thats where his parents were
        by CC on Mar 18, 2012 at 06:40 PM in reply to close friend of the family
        I think you meant this for the post below
        by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM in reply to close friend of the family
        Would you like us to draw you a map?
  • by where were the parents on Mar 18, 2012 at 03:13 PM
    I'm angry that parents don't do more to protect their children.......
      by IJS on Mar 18, 2012 at 05:46 PM in reply to where were the parents
      I am angry that you think parents can watch their children 24/7. The parents are not to blame and if you got to say anything send your condolences to the grieving parents and the other children who watched their friend drown. Children will be children. Condolences and deepest sympathy to the family.
        by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM in reply to IJS
        Protection in this case starts with learning to swim. I learned when I was 5. That's pretty simple.
          by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2012 at 07:24 AM in reply to
          Hind sight is 20/20 - why can't you just keep your rude remarks to yourself. All parent's aren't perfect like you and yours! Hope your kids know how to swim
          by SDW on Mar 19, 2012 at 07:47 AM in reply to
          a 12 year old boy dies and you decide the appropriate thing to do is criticize the family for not teaching the boy how to swim! What an idiot! My heart goes out to the parents and to all who have been affected by this tragedy!
          by WOW on Mar 19, 2012 at 08:17 AM in reply to
          Some kids and even adults are afraid of water so teaching them to swim is almost impossible! People who are never around water don't really bother with learning how to swim. Why not have a little sympathy!
  • by casey Location: hampstead on Mar 18, 2012 at 02:31 PM
    I'd like to know why those pools aren't fenced in, or blocked off from the public. This is a shame that, and I feel sorry for his family.
      by teach kids to swim on Mar 18, 2012 at 05:53 PM in reply to casey
      fences cost money. the world cannot be made hazard free. nor can a way be figured out how to get women off cell phones while driving.
        by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM in reply to teach kids to swim
        Driving while talking on the cell phone is not gender specific.
          by jabber on Mar 19, 2012 at 09:33 AM in reply to
          my ex girlfriend would eat, talk on her phone and drive. she could simply not quit talking.
          by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM in reply to
          Jabber: Then your girlfriend had a problem, not all women.
        by WOW on Mar 19, 2012 at 08:16 AM in reply to teach kids to swim
        And a way also hasn't found to keep men from "ASSuming"
      by Luke on Mar 18, 2012 at 07:25 PM in reply to casey
      When I was a kid I jumped everything fenced in.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2012 at 02:19 PM
    What a sad story! My heart goes out to his family.
  • by anon on Mar 18, 2012 at 02:10 PM
    My condolences to the family. It's a shame these kids thought it would be fun to play around a waste water pond.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143107426 - witn.com/a?a=143107426