Facebook Wall Posting Scam

Today, we highlight another scam that Computerweekly.com believes will be one of the biggest online scams of 2011, based on the security firm, Knowthenet.org.uk.

Facebook users should always use caution if they see a strange website link that is on your wall or in a friend's status updates. Hackers will sometimes post links that result in the download of viruses on your computer or phone. If something looks suspicious, it's probably not worth the risk to click on it, experts say.

• by Virginia Location: Washington County on Jul 27, 2011 at 09:17 PM
    My question is, I received an email message from facebook stating that I had won a certain amount of money for supporting them. It was signed by the facebook team. Is this a scam, or is it legal?
  • by -------- Location: usa on Jan 26, 2011 at 01:06 PM
    if more people spent the time they do on FB with their spouse and kids our society would be in better shape........
  • by Jessica Location: Pamlico on Jan 25, 2011 at 02:25 PM
    I could not agree more tarheel, eric, and itsnotfacebook. Theres nothing wrong with facebook itself. People are just pains and like to starts these scams and virus's. And then those who are not computer savvy enough to know not to click links. Its like those messages that say "0mg I c@nt Bel!eve y0u d1d th1s and were on c@mer@." It comes from a friend (the people its sent to think its really from that friend, not knowing they clicked on the link and now infected themselves. Never click on links, its not smart, even though you would think people were the wiser since these scams been going on since email started. These things cause nasty virus's. My mom was badly infected after clicking on a link from a friend.
  • by MrT Location: LaNC on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    I saw 2 different profiles back to back saying that by clicking it you will get a Macbook Air for free.Didn't click it though.
  • by 40 Location: jville on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    Sounds like a new take on the old scam. "Your computer is infected. Send us your credit card number and we'll fix it"
  • by Anonymous on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    I right click on the link, if I'm curious, then copy it to Bing or Google and verify if its a safe link. I don't click on any weblinks in Facebook.
  • by TarHeel Location: Ayden on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    People don't kill people, guns kill people. Same principle with FB, FB doesn't create problems, FB users do. I enjoy FB, but I also have enough brain to know not to click on every little "fad" I see. I have connected with long lost friends using FB. Use with care people.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    FB is a great website, its some of the people who use the thing that makes it nuts sometimes. Drama loving crazies.
  • by eric here on Jan 25, 2011 at 09:38 AM
    facebook doesn’t really cause drama as it makes it easier for people to get caught by posting something or putting up a picture of someone or something they shouldn’t have its just a tool and if people miss use it that’s their own fault and they should take responsibility for their actions as for the scams get some nice antivirus software and don’t click on random links
  • by ItsNotFacebook on Jan 25, 2011 at 09:31 AM
    Why is Facebook the target these days?? It's not FB that is causing problems its the trouble makers on FB! If you see a link on your FB wall/newsfeed and a supposed comment by the user that is generic...its a fake. Also if people would stop telling all their personal business..this would help. Well let me go to my FB account :)

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114561369 - witn.com/a?a=114561369