Home Accounting Job Scam

With unemployment rates in the state at their highest in a quarter- century, people are looking for jobs wherever they can find them. Don't let your desperation for employment cloud your better judgment.

One of WITN's viewers forwarded an email that appears to be from Ashley Furniture. The email says you can earn a lot of money working from home. Your job would be taking large checks from Ashley customers and depositing them in your personal bank account. You would get to keep 10% of that money but wire the other 90% to another account.

Here's the scam: you'd be getting counterfeit checks. When you deposit a fake check, it can take the bank a few days to figure that out. However, you've already wired away that 90% of the money you deposited, and the bank may hold you responsible for the full amount of the original check.

Once a wire transfer is complete, it can't be traced. The potential to lose a lot of money in a short period of time is great.

Thanks to Bob Fritta for letting us know about this scam.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Mike Location: Illinois on Apr 19, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    Similar scam from century furniture job work at home keep 10 % of the" payments " recieved as payment asks the typical fish info almost looks legit i've been trying to make contact with century furniture but it's a Sunday afternoon. I'll bring this to there attention.
  • by Myra Location: Clarksville, TN on Mar 12, 2009 at 03:56 PM
    I received the same email from Ashley Furniture. You can tell it is a scam by the use of grammer within it.
  • by Sam Location: Williamston on Feb 19, 2009 at 06:19 AM
    It would not bother me one bit if any of these scammers for people's money would get sentenced to death row if convicted. I have a MAJOR problem with these crooks. I also have a formula for you. BEING UNEMPLOYED GETTING SCAMMED = MASSIVE DEBT FOR THE FUTURE If you add being a not so educated person into the formula, then that person will be in deep debt and living poor for the rest of their lives, unless they are either raised within lots of money or married into lots of money.
  • by Lois Location: Washington, NC on Feb 4, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    Please alert everyone - there is a scam with Google Money Tree- You receive an email for a kit for $3.88. You give them your card number to purchase this kit. You have 7 days to review the kit. Before you receive the kit - you will see a $72.21 charge from your bank account. When you call, they will not refund your money, a supervisor will refuses to speak to you and you are ripped off for the $72.21 plus you will then finally receive the $3.88 cd that is of no use to you because you cancelled the program so they would not continue to take the $72.21 out every month. They tell you - you will receive an email for the trial- which does not come. In these economical times- people cannot afford this scam or any scam. If you do further research - which I should have done I gusee- the internet is full of complaint about this company. They are very rude to you when you call. Their number is 888-760-6767.
  • by Annette Location: Greenville on Jan 27, 2009 at 07:44 PM
    I get a lot of e-mails like this and i wonder how many people fall for this type of stuff? It's really sad how people are taken advantage of. I hope more and more poeple take another look at the email and NEVER send money to someone you dont know. If it sounds too good to be true...more than likely, it is. No one is just going to GIVE someone money for nothing!
  • by Rebecca Location: Albertson on Jan 14, 2009 at 01:32 PM
    I received an email in the mail today just like this but from a different company and it was based in London.
  • by Michelle Location: Greenville on Jan 8, 2009 at 03:34 PM
    I received an email like this today, from William Anderson stating he works for a company that was based out of Helsinki,but is now based out of China. I marked the email as spam and it was automatically deleted from my email.
  • by realist Location: NC on Jan 8, 2009 at 02:38 PM
    I'll bet that 99% of the people taken in by this scam voted for Obama. Makes a statement about intelligence.

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 37262879 - witn.com/a?a=37262879
Gray Television, Inc.