A bombshell announcement from the governor left the number two man in Raleigh adjusting his plans for November's election.
After governor Bev Perdue announced yesterday she would not seek a second term. Lieutenant governor and fellow democrat Walter Dalton announced he's running for Perdue's job. Dalton says his decision to run was a no-brainer.
"It was a fairly easy decision for me. We were gearing up for our campaign as lieutenant governor, and I went a head and announced for governor because I believe in North Carolina. I love North Carolina," said Dalton.
North Carolina Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton is all in for succeeding fellow Democrat and Gov. Beverly Perdue.
Dalton announced Thursday he'll run for governor now that Perdue announced earlier in the day she's not seeking a second term. He's a former Rutherford County senator elected in 2008 to the No. 2 position in the executive branch.
Dalton accused likely Republican nominee Pat McCrory and the Republican leadership of doing "lasting damage" to North Carolina by cutting education and overlooking economic development. He said his campaign is based on a future committed to public education.
State Rep. Bill Faison is also expected to seek the Democratic nomination, setting up a May primary. Former State Treasurer Richard Moore, Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx and Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines also are considering potential bids.
Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.