Santorum Cancels Events To Be With Sick Daughter

Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum canceled his Sunday morning campaign events and planned to spend time with his hospitalized daughter.

"Rick and his wife Karen are admitting their daughter Bella to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia this evening," spokesman Hogan Gidley said in a statement Saturday night, adding "Rick intends to return to Florida and resume the campaign schedule as soon as is possible."

Santorum had been scheduled to appear on NBC's "Meet the Press" and attend church in Miami. Officials did not cancel Sunday's afternoon events in Sarasota and Punta Gorda.

Isabella Santorum has Trisomy 18, a genetic condition caused by the presence of all or part of an extra 18th chromosome. When asked about her, Santorum says his daughter was not expected to survive until her first birthday and often has to catch himself to stop from tears.

"I have a little girl who's 3 ½ years old," he told Christian conservatives in Iowa before winning that lead-off contest.

"I don't know whether her life is going to be measured — it's always been measured — in days and weeks. Yet here I am. ... because I feel like I wouldn't be a good dad if I wasn't out here fighting for a country that would see the dignity in her and every other child."

When voters ask him about her, he calls the decision to campaign "gut-retching" but says he goes forward for all special needs families.

"You think she's fine, and then one cold and she's this close to dying," he told The Washington Post last year in an interview.

In October, he missed one of Bella's surgeries to participate in a debate and told the audience that he planned to take an all-night flight home from Las Vegas to be with her.

"I look at the simplicity and love she emits," Santorum said in a web video his campaign released after his scheduling drew questions, "and it's clear to me we're the disabled ones."

Santorum largely has kept his daughter off the campaign schedules, preferring her to stay home with her mother. But Bella did join Santorum for a few days around Iowa's straw poll in August, and she joined her family in Charleston, S.C., the day of its primary.

She didn't join her six siblings for the public speech. She stayed backstage.

• by Anonymous on Jan 31, 2012 at 03:25 PM
    A father's love is a good medecine.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 30, 2012 at 07:20 AM
    While Santorum is a horrible human being, at least he does the right thing when his daughter is sick and goes to be with her.
      by Anonymous on Jan 30, 2012 at 08:00 AM in reply to
      What makes Santorum a "horrible human being"? The fact that he has different political views than you? The fact that he has AND supports a large family? The fact that he is a christian? The fact that he supports his own family and does not ask for one penny from the government? None of those things make him a horrible human being. Of all the posts on this site I have never seen even one republican say Obama is a horrible human being, just a horrible president with even worse policies and philosophies. You liberals are the hate filled hypocrites, thank you for proving that point loud and clear for all to see!!
  • by laura Location: greenville on Jan 30, 2012 at 04:24 AM
    T-18 is directly linked to maternal age. This is what kills me about breeders- at some point women, your body just can't do it anymore. Define yourself by being a fantastic mother to the children you have, instead of the woman that continues to pop them out one after another. Just because you can get pregnant, doesn't mean you should- and after 35, when the risks increase 20 fold, if you have a child with disabilities linked to maternal age, you should forcibly sterilized. Too many women are using their womb as a weapon to inflict harm on children simply for the sake of fulfilling their own vanity and selfish desires. Typical for a society that revolves around satisfying every itch the moment you have it.
      by Marie on Jan 30, 2012 at 05:17 AM in reply to laura
      It is not for you or I to say when a family should stop having children unless it effects you directly. Those who sit on their butts and do not support their children effect every taxpayer and they should be stopped from having children but Santorum has supported and loved every one of his children with no help from anybody. I am from a family of 10, all born healthy and I thank the good lord every day. It is not your business and you are a socialist pig for your thoughts, you need prayer and psychiatric help, seek it now!!
        by Anonymous on Jan 30, 2012 at 07:17 AM in reply to Marie
        Yes it is. It effects society as a whole, it cost heath-care to go up and cost the tax-payers millions of dollars. Santorum is the execption to the rule, people often have kids they cannot support, this is even worse when a woman continues to get pregnant once she reaches a certain age.
          by Marie on Jan 30, 2012 at 07:38 AM in reply to
          So it is ok for you to stereotype everyone who wants to have a large family? NOT!!! My parents had 10 children and never needed nor asked for one penny from anyone. My father worked hard to support us and loved us all. Not one of us has ever been on any entitlement program. If the parents pay for their childrens expenses it does not bring the cost up of anything on the taxpayers. You are a hypocrite and I am sure a liberal who pretends to be so kind and accepting when in actuality you are the perfect example of the hatred and entitlement mantality that your party brings to hard working citizens.
          by laura on Jan 30, 2012 at 08:09 AM in reply to
          It's not about having a large family, it's about realizing that at a certain age, you're rolling the dice on the health of future children. If she was poor, and the child was on state aid, everyone would be calling for this woman's head on a platter. Because they're rich, it's okay? EVERYONE, rich and poor, should practice responsible parenting by taking all measures to ensure the children they bring forth are as healthy as possible. Money sets the moral compass for too many people- in the end, there's still a very ill, dying child, and two adults who knew better but still elected to get pregnant at a very, very dangerous age.
        by laura on Jan 30, 2012 at 07:50 AM in reply to Marie
        If refusing the roll the dice on the health and well-being of a baby by practicing responsible reproduction makes me a socialist pig, then "oink, oink". I'm also an educated adult that makes rational decisions. I'm also a parent that would never put my desire to have more children over the enormous odds that doing so at 50, may result in a child with profound fatal disabilities. The bottom line for me isn't whether or not as a taxpayer, I'm footing the bill for a child, it's the harm being brought to children by irresponsible pregnancies. Money shouldn't determine the direction of your moral compass.
          by Marie on Jan 30, 2012 at 08:27 AM in reply to laura
          Neither should ignorance and you certainly have shown that in your posts. You have NO BUSINESS saying anyone should be sterilized for having children at 12 or 72. That is not your decision to make, last I checked this is a free country (contrary to what you liberals want it to be). I had a surprise pregnancy at 38 and my child is as happy and healthy as she can be. I did have an amneo to check for issues but I don't think I would have aborted either way. Why, you might ask, because in my eyes a child is a gift from god and if he chooses to place that child in your womb it is your obligation to give birth. Now tell me I am anti abortion, guess what, for myself I am but I am for a womens right to choose, I don't try to make decisions for anyone but myself, unlike you. You take a roll of the dice every day with your child in day to day living. You arrogance speaks volumes!!
          by Marie on Jan 30, 2012 at 08:33 AM in reply to laura
          One more thing Laura, you are the only one I see up here blaming the childs illness on her mothers age so I would have to say you are incorrect in saying that everyone would want her head on a platter if she were poor. I guess you would be ok with forced birth control as well. That is just your warped way of thinking. I will pray for you, you need all the prayers you can get!
  • by annoyed on Jan 29, 2012 at 08:01 PM
    First of all most of these comments are moronic, not about the subject at hand, and really don't deserve printing. Aside from that, I hope each and every one of you will have the fantastic experience of caring for or sitting at the feet of a handicapped child. What a privilege! I have, and the lessons they taught me about life are some of the greatest. They take their disability for granted as just a part of life. I realize how "handicapped" I would have stayed if I had never had had the "lessons" they taught me. One 18 month old kissed my tears as I held her and I began to cry. Her little hand patted my shoulder to comfort me. Thank you my lovely patients, may you all rest in peace for a job well done! Love you ALL.
  • by Obama on Jan 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Obama cancels all responsibilities to take a lot of vacations at tax payers dime!
      by Really? on Jan 29, 2012 at 05:03 PM in reply to Obama
      This is such a tired joke of the right. Yawn. I know, it doesn't matter that time and again studies have shown that Bush vacationed far more than Obama has. Why ruin a good joke with the truth?
        by Obama on Jan 29, 2012 at 06:34 PM in reply to Really?
        Blames Bush, tired of Dems blaming Bush.. Excuses, Excuses!!!
        by Yes Really! on Jan 29, 2012 at 06:34 PM in reply to Really?
        I would much prefer "this tired Joke of the right" to the tired joke of a president of the left that has destroyed our country in 3 short years. Anybody BUT Obama in 2012!!!
          by The Cat on Jan 29, 2012 at 07:15 PM in reply to Yes Really!
          OBAMA 2012!!!!!
          by The Dog on Jan 30, 2012 at 06:09 AM in reply to Yes Really!
          Yep, thats when he checks out of the house!
  • by Lorrie Location: nc on Jan 29, 2012 at 09:25 AM
    Goober yep thats what you are...
      by Anonymous on Jan 29, 2012 at 02:28 PM in reply to Lorrie
      you're a sick puppy ! Do you have kids ??
  • by Chris Location: Greenville on Jan 29, 2012 at 07:58 AM
    Hope she don't get sick after he becomes president,crucial decisions won't let him cancel everything. Ohh wait, who am I kidding, he's not gonna win.
      by Donna on Jan 29, 2012 at 09:11 AM in reply to Chris
      He is doing exactly what he should do. I don't know any statistics but I'm sure he would not be the only president in history who could handle the job as well as sick family members at the same time.
      by Anonymous on Jan 29, 2012 at 02:29 PM in reply to Chris
      so do you honestly think obamas kids couldn't get sick ?? You people are heartless. I think there is a place for you... ends in L.
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Jan 29, 2012 at 06:28 AM
    I think the rest of the clown candidates should follow suit
      by obamanot on Jan 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM in reply to Lavon
      LOL!I'm sure glad you like men.Helps keep other little annoying lavons from running around.
      by Anonymous on Jan 29, 2012 at 01:13 PM in reply to Lavon
      A child is sick. Guess that goes to show that you don't have a heart.
        by Lavon on Jan 29, 2012 at 03:10 PM in reply to
        I didn't say a word about his child. Maybe I was talking about Blah people!
          by Anonymous on Jan 29, 2012 at 09:24 PM in reply to Lavon
          and as I said... "maybe you weren't" You're a left wing liberal racist biased loon.
        by BLAHammed on Jan 29, 2012 at 03:39 PM in reply to
        livetra has a heart toward her agenda but she is like the scare crow on the wizard of oz."If she only had a brain"!
      by Sam on Jan 29, 2012 at 07:24 PM in reply to Lavon
      I say Barack should follow Beverly's footsteps and not run again.
  • by LCR Location: ENC on Jan 29, 2012 at 05:55 AM
    Now that's a great dad and person!! He actually has turned out to be my favorite candidate, but his actions make me like him even more!!
      by laura on Jan 30, 2012 at 04:32 AM in reply to LCR
      No, he's not a great dad. A great dad would have sat his wife down when she turned 40 and said, "hon, I know we love kids, I know you love kids, but it's time to stop." Then a great dad would have taken the responsibility of making sure he could no longer impregnate her. A great dad doesn't get his almost 50 year old wife pregnant, resulting a child with genetic issues, then run around patting himself on the back as his child dies and slow death. I have no words for how disgusting I find this man.
        by Anonymous on Jan 30, 2012 at 08:02 AM in reply to laura
        Yeah but I bet you clap your hands together for all the "empowered" young women popping out kids they can't afford with barely a clue who "da baby daddy" is.
          by laura on Jan 30, 2012 at 08:22 AM in reply to
          That is a silly, and unfounded assertion. I am as far from a feminist as you can get. I'm fortunate in that my husband, as the head of our household, holds us both to a high standard, and has the moral fortitude to put the health and well-being of his family above his own desires, or mine. Being a good father and leader means making the tough decisions and having the tough talks, like "honey, at 50, there's too great a risk to the health of a future child to risk a pregnancy. Therefore, I'm going to do my part to limit the risk of unintentional pregnancies." Being a good husband and father means you see your wife as something other than an incubator.
  • by B on Jan 29, 2012 at 05:17 AM
    Seven kids??? America can't afford to house, feed and care for his basketball starting team if he makes it into the White House. If they complained about the 1st Lady's mom moving in (making occupancy of 4), what would be the resulting outrage for 9?
      by obamanot on Jan 29, 2012 at 06:37 AM in reply to B
      What America cant afford is to send machelle and a couple of thousand of her friends on vacation.
      by Donna on Jan 29, 2012 at 09:10 AM in reply to B
      Really?? If he is elected, at least it would be his kids and not his mother-in-law for crying out loud.
      by Anonymous on Jan 29, 2012 at 02:30 PM in reply to B
      last I checked, he's NOT drawing a check... idiot ! GO scratch off some more tickets, maybe your life will improve.
        by Anonymous on Jan 29, 2012 at 08:24 PM in reply to
        Thats funny right here, dont care who you are.LOL

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138283109 - witn.com/a?a=138283109